All About Ortho-K

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

All About Ortho-K

Postby bangs » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:08 am

Hi,
Wondering if your kids are using ortho-k lenses?
Do you have any recommendations or feedback on the lenses?

Some of the recommendations and study done in other threads seem to have been some time back, so wondering if there are any current experiences to share.

Thanks in advance :smile:

bangs
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: All About Ortho-K

Postby Miracle Child » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:12 pm

Hi, my DS has been O-K lens for about 1 year 2 months. So far, no deterioration in vision since :pray: :xedfingers: . In the past before O-K, his degree will increase by about 50-150 every year. Got the lenses from Point Optical in Toa Payoh Central - the boss was Mr Andrew Lim, absolutely nice and patient man...alas, he passed away very suddenly (fall accident) a couple of months back :cry: ...was a very sad thing - my DS cried when he learnt about it.

Main thing about O-K lens is that firstly you, as parent, need to be very patient with your child; putting in the lens initially is not easy as the lenses are hard lenses and also, esp in the morning when you need to remove the lenses when child is already struggling to wake up. Secondly, cleanliness is very important - only a pair of eyes, must never ever be lazy and take short cuts when it comes to cleaning.

Miracle Child
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby bangs » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:10 am

Hi,

Thanks for your reply and sharing! Started this thread to see if there are any sharings from parents whose kids are on Ortho and on the providers too.

My kids are also on Ortho-k and also from Point Optical. Had slight increase of myopia (about 75 degrees in 2 years). Yes, the sudden passing of Andrew was very sad ... my kids like him too.

Was wondering whether there are any who did their Ortho K from other providers and what was the feedback like, as well.

bangs
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby 2ppaamm » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:42 pm

Miracle Child wrote:Hi, my DS has been O-K lens for about 1 year 2 months. So far, no deterioration in vision since :pray: :xedfingers: . In the past before O-K, his degree will increase by about 50-150 every year. Got the lenses from Point Optical in Toa Payoh Central - the boss was Mr Andrew Lim, absolutely nice and patient man...alas, he passed away very suddenly (fall accident) a couple of months back :cry: ...was a very sad thing - my DS cried when he learnt about it.

Main thing about O-K lens is that firstly you, as parent, need to be very patient with your child; putting in the lens initially is not easy as the lenses are hard lenses and also, esp in the morning when you need to remove the lenses when child is already struggling to wake up. Secondly, cleanliness is very important - only a pair of eyes, must never ever be lazy and take short cuts when it comes to cleaning.

Are you sure Andrew died from a fall? I heard he died from a stroke. Trying to find out as I have not yet been back to Singapore for quite some time, and sad to see his wife in the news for all the bad reasons recently.

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Fat Mama » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:14 pm

Hi,

I have learnt so much from other parents from KSP and would like to share DD's experience with O-K lens with parents looking for ways to control the progression of their DC's myopia.

DD on O-K lens for 6 mths. Before that, I read the posts on KSP and did my homework and went down to inquire at one of the recommended optician at Parkway Parade branch and called their other branches in Tampines and Toa Payoh. DD eyesight abt 300 deg and was quoted $1800. I felt the price was OK but they were not very professional and did not give me the confidence to make the O-K lens with their company.

I made enquries at Stan Isaccs last, bcos I thought they will be very expensive as they are reputed and located at Camden Medical (Orchard). But to my surprised DD O-K lens was quoted $1600, that's cheaper than the others. They are very professional, friendly and kiasu as well. Why kiasu, bcos of the many many check ups but I dont mind bocs it concerns DD's EYES....

The long journey starts with the first appt.......

First appt, the optometrist check DD's eyes while I sip on the free coffee/ tea/ soft drinks and eat biscuits, read newspaper/ mags provided at the waiting area. Finish checking, I went in and talk to the opto, she explained all the necessary in detailed and ask us to come back for TRIAL on the hard lens before deciding if we want to proceed with O-K lens.
We paid $165 for consultation and the TRIAL. If we decide to proceed with O-K lens, this $165 is deducted from the $1600.

3 days later, second appt was the TRIAL. DD was supposed to wear the trial hard lens for 4 hrs and the opto will assess if she is suitable to proceed, no tearing or redness and if DD able to take the discomfort of something in her eyes etc. Opto put on the hard lens (not the O-K lens) for DD and told me that DD is suitable to proceed as she was very good when opto put in the lens. That saves us a trip to go back 4 hrs later. Opto said some kids and even teenagers struggle and fight when opto try to put in the lens. So not suitable to proceed. Opto asked DD if she wants to wear the O-K lens and all the required long term commitment etc... DD said she wants to wear and able to commit so we proceed to pay for the O-K lens package $1600 - $165.

A week later, the O-K lens arrived, DD was taught all the necessary ....
For the first 2 days, she will wear for 2 hrs for getting use to it.
For the next 2 days, she will wear for 4 hrs.....
If everything OK then can proceed to night wear of at least 8 hrs.
After the first night wear, we have to go to the opto next morning, wearing the lens for them to check the eyes. As DD's deg is not too high, her eyesight was corrected very fast.
Her classmate's deg was abt 600+ and she took abt 2 wks to correct so she had to wear contact lens to school. She was provided with lens deg 300, 200, 100 till obtain perfect eyesight.

Checkup will be in 1 mth time and 2 mths after that if everything alright.

DD's another classmate bought the O-K lens with another optician. Her process was simple - check, collect and wear. No trials nor checkups before proceeding to purchase.

We are glad we made the right choice and we are very satisfied with the service provided at Stan but PARKING at Camden is very very expensive. :moneyflies: :moneyflies: :moneyflies:

Sorry for the long post.

Fat Mama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Fat Mama » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:35 pm

Price comparison in DD's case (ONLY)

Stan Isaccs
1 yr parkage : $1600 (free replacement lens not due to wrong handling)
1st consultation: $165 deductable (incl TRIAL hard lens)
Provide contact lens while eyesight adjust
Replacement lens : $650 pair ($325/ pc)
2nd year onwards consultation : $45/ yr

Another Optician with many branches
1 yr parkage : $1800 (free replacement lens not due to wrong handling)
No consultation fees, no TRIAL
Deposit : $500
Provide spectacles while eyesight adjust
Replacement lens : $1000 pair ($500/ pc)
No yearly consultation fees

In the long run, I feel Stan Isaccs is cheaper and definitely more professional.
The other optical shop does not have optometrist in the shop, you have to make appt for them to come to the branch. If urgent problem with child's eye, how to seek help immediately? That's what worry me as well.

I hope I have contributed some useful info here. :smile: :smile:

Fat Mama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby bangs » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:17 pm

Hi, thanks for your sharing. it is very useful to me. It is good to hear about Stan Isaccs and that you are happy with them. Can I check - when your DD does not wear the lenses for one or two nights and the degree deteriorates, do they provide spectacles, or she will have to make her own? Is it difficult to get follow-up appointments? After the first year and there is consultation cost of $45 per year, is it still on a bimonthly basis?

bangs
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby bangs » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:20 pm

2ppaamm wrote:
Miracle Child wrote:Hi, my DS has been O-K lens for about 1 year 2 months. So far, no deterioration in vision since :pray: :xedfingers: . In the past before O-K, his degree will increase by about 50-150 every year. Got the lenses from Point Optical in Toa Payoh Central - the boss was Mr Andrew Lim, absolutely nice and patient man...alas, he passed away very suddenly (fall accident) a couple of months back :cry: ...was a very sad thing - my DS cried when he learnt about it.

Are you sure Andrew died from a fall? I heard he died from a stroke. Trying to find out as I have not yet been back to Singapore for quite some time, and sad to see his wife in the news for all the bad reasons recently.

Hi 2ppaamm,
I'm not too sure how he passed on, I only know that he passed on overseas. Yes, it is sad to see all that happening.

bangs
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Frisbee » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:18 pm

Hi, my dd has been wearing Ortho K for 2 years. Her vision has deteriorate from 150 to around 275. I feel that Ortho K is not miracle for myopia control and very much depending on individual. However, my dd does enjoy every much the freedom of participating in various sports without having to wear spectacles.

Frisbee
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Fat Mama » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:54 am

bangs wrote:Hi, thanks for your sharing. it is very useful to me. It is good to hear about Stan Isaccs and that you are happy with them. Can I check - when your DD does not wear the lenses for one or two nights and the degree deteriorates, do they provide spectacles, or she will have to make her own? Is it difficult to get follow-up appointments? After the first year and there is consultation cost of $45 per year, is it still on a bimonthly basis?

Hi,

DD wears her O-K lens nightly so no problem. If u dont wear the lens and degree deteriorates, how would u know what degrees spectacles to wear? 100, 200 or 300 degrees?

So far no problem getting follow-up appts.
I was told the consultation of $45/yr is bimonthly and as n when necessary like redness or itchiness of the eyes.

Fat Mama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Health