Knee pain in children

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Knee pain in children

Postby JR » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:27 am

My son has this knee pain that affect him only in the night time, affecting his sleep. The next morning the pain is gone. Does anyone has similar experience with your kid?

JR
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 389
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:38 pm
Total Likes: 1


Re: Knee pain in children

Postby OrangeJuice » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:46 am

JR wrote:My son has this knee pain that affect him only in the night time, affecting his sleep. The next morning the pain is gone. Does anyone has similar experience with your kid?


Hi, my son complained of left knee pain when he was about 8 yrs old - pain comes on and off , took him doctor. GP said maybe due to growing bones and flesh stretching but to be safe he referred us to specialist at KKH. There Specialist said my son a bit flat footed so there will be strain on his knee sometimes and he asked my son to do tip/toe exercises on and off ie lifting up and down on heels if you know what I mean....just to share my experience but to be safe, get a specialist's opinion, it will be cheaper is you get a referral letter from any polyclinic. Hope this helps :)

OrangeJuice
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 430
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:20 pm
Total Likes: 15


Re: Knee pain in children

Postby JR » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:59 am

Thanks for your reply. Does your son have swollen knees? My son have both knees swollen but not in pain at the moment. Currently waiting to do x-ray.

JR
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 389
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:38 pm
Total Likes: 1


Re: Knee pain in children

Postby OrangeJuice » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:57 am

JR wrote:Thanks for your reply. Does your son have swollen knees? My son have both knees swollen but not in pain at the moment. Currently waiting to do x-ray.


There was no swelling in my son's case. Hope everything is OK with your child :)

OrangeJuice
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 430
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:20 pm
Total Likes: 15


Re: Knee pain in children

Postby JR » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:37 pm

OrangeJuice wrote:
JR wrote:Thanks for your reply. Does your son have swollen knees? My son have both knees swollen but not in pain at the moment. Currently waiting to do x-ray.


There was no swelling in my son's case. Hope everything is OK with your child :)


The blood test turn out ok. still have to monitor the swelling of the knees.

JR
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 389
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:38 pm
Total Likes: 1



Re: Knee pain in children

Postby OrangeJuice » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:38 pm

JR wrote:
OrangeJuice wrote:
JR wrote:Thanks for your reply. Does your son have swollen knees? My son have both knees swollen but not in pain at the moment. Currently waiting to do x-ray.


There was no swelling in my son's case. Hope everything is OK with your child :)


The blood test turn out ok. still have to monitor the swelling of the knees.


Good to hear that it is nothing serious, relieved for you :smile:

OrangeJuice
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 430
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:20 pm
Total Likes: 15


Re: Knee pain in children

Postby JR » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:16 pm

Thanks OrangeJuice for sharing your experience.

JR
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 389
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:38 pm
Total Likes: 1


Re: Knee pain in children

Postby JR » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:19 pm

Just to update on my son's knee condition. We had an appointment with the children's Ortho this morning and he confirmed that there is no more swelling. He said that the swelling is not due to infection (great relief for us) as the blood test result is Ok and my son is able to move around without pain. Also if it is infection, there would be fever and the pain will be more intense. The reason for the swelling in my son's knees is due to the body's reaction to the recent flu aliment that my son had the week before. We would still need to monitor his condition and has a follow-up with the doctor at NUH two weeks later.

The lesson I learnt from this incident is that do not take the pain in the knee lightly especially if it is painful enough to disrupt the sleep of the child. Serious infection if not treated fast may result in damage of the joints.

JR
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 389
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:38 pm
Total Likes: 1


Re: Knee pain in children

Postby JR » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:18 am

Forgot to mention that the A&E doctor has diagnosed my child's condition as Transient Synovitis of the knee.

Found this website that has info on the condition:http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1007186-clinical

JR
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 389
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:38 pm
Total Likes: 1



Return to Health