Mind the oil used for cooking

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Mind the oil used for cooking

Postby bzb » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:20 pm

While having a brisk-wailking at night in the city, I came to take a rest in a restaurant at Clarke Quey. On the table there is this specialty in the menu of the restaurant that wrote something like this:-

"We use healthy olive oil to fry your food"...

Dear ksp, do you have a voice on this?

Olive oil is perceived as healthy oil because of it's higher content of omega-3 essencial fatty acids as compared to other cooking oil. Omega-3 is well-known for protecting our heart, lowering the chorestyerol level and improving blood circulation.

But is it appropriate to use olive oil to fry food? As to what I know, food frying is done in high temperature. And high heat can destroy the good Omega...

bzb
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Mind the oil used for cooking

Postby osim » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:10 pm

I use olive oil for grilling and sautéing or use it neat for salad. For deep frying, I use sesame peanut oil. I know olive oil has low smoke point. I think to use with medium heat is okay. To use it for deep frying is too costly.

osim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby bzb » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:03 am

So for frying food you use sesame + peanut oil because it is more stable under hing heat. Which brand of these oil mixture you choose?
Also for olive oil, it has many different grades: virgin, extra virgin, 1st pressed, cold pressed. Which one you use for sauteing?

bzb
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Sallypally » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:00 pm

I have no idea about using olive oil for frying but...

Well in my opinion "Healthy olive oil" is pretty misleading.

I would rephrase it to "Healthier olive oil" because no matter how you see it, eating fried food, in today's context, is never or at least rarely healthy due to the accessibility of junk food and reluctance/lack of exercise.

No matter the type of oil used, fried food is still fried food. These are food that have absorbed or are coated with liquid fats (oil) due to the process of frying (meaning extra calories and calories will turn into body fat if unused).

Sallypally
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby osim » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:12 pm

bzb wrote:So for frying food you use sesame + peanut oil because it is more stable under hing heat. Which brand of these oil mixture you choose?
Also for olive oil, it has many different grades: virgin, extra virgin, 1st pressed, cold pressed. Which one you use for sauteing?

I am not so technical with the types of oil. I go for the fragrance. I like extra virgin olive oil because the olive smell is more intense and I use it on salad too. It helps if you heat your pan hot then add the oil.

For deep frying, I use cock brand.

osim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby HAPPYH » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:30 pm

bzb wrote:While having a brisk-wailking at night in the city, I came to take a rest in a restaurant at Clarke Quey. On the table there is this specialty in the menu of the restaurant that wrote something like this:-

"We use healthy olive oil to fry your food"...

Dear ksp, do you have a voice on this?

Olive oil is perceived as healthy oil because of it's higher content of omega-3 essencial fatty acids as compared to other cooking oil. Omega-3 is well-known for protecting our heart, lowering the chorestyerol level and improving blood circulation.

But is it appropriate to use olive oil to fry food? As to what I know, food frying is done in high temperature. And high heat can destroy the good Omega...

Yes, you are right. At high temperature, omega 3 will become saturated fatty acid. We don't need to pay such a high price when there is no benefit.

HAPPYH
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bzb » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:46 pm

Thanks all for the contribution.
Thus the important thing abt olive oil is not to over heat it till reaching the smoke point. Below is the for smoke point for different types of oil to share...

Fat Quality Smoke Point
Almond oil 216°C
Avocado oil Refined 271°C
Avocado oil Un-Refined, Virgin 190-204°C
Butter 121–149°C
Canola oil Expeller Press 190-232°C
Canola oil High Oleic 246°C
Canola oil Refined 204°C
Castor oil Refined 200°C
Coconut oil Extra Virgin (Unrefined) 177°C
Coconut oil Refined 232°C
Corn oil Unrefined 178°C
Corn oil Refined 232°C
Cottonseed oil 216°C
Flax seed oil Unrefined 107°C
Ghee (Indian Clarified Butter) 252°C
Grapeseed oil 216°C
Hazelnut oil 221°C
Hemp oil 165°C
Lard 188°C
Macadamia oil 210°C
Mustard oil 254°C
Olive oil Extra virgin 191°C
Olive oil Virgin 199°C
Olive oil Pomace 238°C
Olive oil Extra light 242°C
Olive oil, high quality (low acidity) Extra virgin 207°C
Palm oil Difractionated 235°C
Peanut oil Unrefined 160°C
Peanut oil Refined 232°C
Rice bran oil 213°C
Safflower oil Unrefined 107°C
Safflower oil Semirefined 160°C
Safflower oil Refined 266°C
Sesame oil Unrefined 177°C
Sesame oil Semirefined 232°C
Soybean oil Unrefined 160°C
Soybean oil Semirefined 177°C
Soybean oil Refined 238°C
Sunflower oil Unrefined 107°C
Sunflower oil Semirefined 232°C
Sunflower oil, high oleic Unrefined 160°C
Sunflower oil Refined 227°C
Tea seed oil 252°C
Vegetable shortening 182°C
Walnut oil Unrefined 160°C
Walnut oil Semirefined 204°C

bzb
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby fable » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:04 pm

Good thing to think about. But using olive oil is generally ok, especially if its not extra virgin, because deep frying temperature is about 190 degrees. My preference is rice bran oil.

fable
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby osim » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:41 pm

fable wrote:Good thing to think about. But using olive oil is generally ok, especially if its not extra virgin, because deep frying temperature is about 190 degrees. My preference is rice bran oil.

I don't think anyone will use extra virgin olive oil for deep frying. It's too expensive.

osim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby osim » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:46 pm

bzb wrote:Thanks all for the contribution.

Thanks to YOU, for providing the list of smoke point of the different oils.

osim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Health