which gym is the best for an adult

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

which gym is the best for an adult

Postby karenmok » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:03 pm

Hi,
My DH is finally looking for a gym to join. I am puzzled with so many choices around: California Fitness, Fitness First, Planet Fitness, etc. All of them have complex packages. Any clues on how to get a package that lets my DH get started, yet is flexible and economic? Thanks a tonne.

karenmok
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: which gym is the best for an adult

Postby sleepy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:26 pm

karenmok wrote:Any clues on how to get a package that lets my DH get started, yet is flexible and economic? Thanks a tonne.

The gym located in CCs and sport councils are at great value. Seem to be more popular with men, noticed very few ladies there. I pop in to one recently, only $300+ for 12 months, unbelievable price :yikes:

Can engage personal trainer at separate fees. No exercise classes though, only gym equip whereas California & similar will include exercise classes.

I signed up for a pure ladies gym though, so many out of shape ladies sweating together, less initimidating :rotflmao:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:03 am

California/planet fitness etc are all about the same. The choice should depend on what he intends to focus on - cardio or weights, does he prefer to do it alone or go for classes, frequency of use, cost and very very important, location. It has to be convenient and able to accommodate your schedule and preferred workout. He should consider when he intends to go - before/ after work? Weekends? after he drops the kids off at school or for enrichment classes?

Besides the above places, there are also safra gyms and more specialized gyms eg muay thai, boxing, Krav magma gym etc, at different locations and cost points.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cherrygal » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:05 pm

Yup those at sports complexes are cheap. He can also try YMCA, esp if he works in town.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby heyhoe » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:50 pm

My DH trains at Safra's gym. According to him, it has the necessary equipment for training, reasonable cost and motivation :skeptical:

heyhoe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby xxcleoxx » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:26 pm

Hi i have a california fitness located at bugis gold membership ( $84/mth ) and it's valid till aug 2013. PM me if you're interested.

xxcleoxx
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby sleepy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:54 am

I've decided not to continue with my gym when the membership expires. Didn't achieve my weight loss target so now I'm trying to brainstorm my next option

My existing gym (only circuit training, no group classes) $80/mth. I'm taking 3 group classes $70/mth at ssc. On top of that, zumba at cc twice a week $90/mth. With all these added up, seems more cost effective to join a full fledge gym with unlimited group classes and access to gym equipments.

I'm most interested in zumba. The problem is I couldn't find a studio that offers unlimited zumba class in my area. Zumba class is quite costly even at cc ($90/mth for twice a week).

Gym equip is of lower priority to me because there are a number of small scale gym near my area and per entry is only $2.50 to $4. I can go during off peak hours so not crowded at all.

I checked out the class schedule of those full fledge gyms in my zone. However, they only offer zumba twice a week on weekday morning, hardly enough le. I'm hoping to take zumba classes at least thrice or even four times a week. So signing up a full fledge gym won't exactly meet my requirement.

Furthermore, I'm not sure I could drop the 3 group classes at ssc ($70/mth) even after signing up for full fledge gym because hubby expects me to accompany him to those 3 group classes.

Location wise, all those full fledge gyms are further away than my nearby small scale gym & ssc.

I'm wondering does it make more sense to sign up for full fledge gym? Or just continue my existing group classes and supplement with those per entry access to gym equip. A little stuck in my thought process now :scratchhead:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby beanbear » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:08 pm

Hi sleepy,

I can relate with your frustrations especially when you're putting in alot of effort to find what's the right fit for you.

Having been through different kinds of workouts in the past, perhaps I could offer some of my own insights:

1. What kind of exercise do you really enjoy such that you feel all excited about even dressing up to go and do the workout? Do something that you really enjoy so that it doesn't feel like "exercising". The session becomes a gift to yourself rather than something on the checklist of things to do.

2. Prioritise which is more important : budget or convenience. Lucky for you if you have a centre that can meet both budget and convenience but if you can one or the other, which is the higher priority?

3. What are dietary habits like? Cardio exercise alone can burn calories but if your overall daily food intake is not disciplined enough, you accumulate the weight quickly. I've seen people who work out 3-4 times of zumba yet they look fat week after week. Something else must be happening right?
However, if you do some weights training with interval circuit/resistance training, you can start to lose weight faster as you're building muscles though it's not apparent on the weighing scale.

4. Set specific goals and know why you really want to do this.
Hold accountability to your goals by sharing it with someone.

I'm currently doing a 6-week plan to lose 3-4 kg in 6 weeks. I tried last year (oct-dec) for 3 months to reach my goal of 3 kg weight loss but failed miserably even though I was doing my workouts 2-3 times a week.

My "failure" was because I was not watching my food intake and not having a proper plan of how I was going to do this. Now my 6 week plan involves a nutritional consultation and I'm on a meal plan which incorporates what I can eat to keep my blood sugar stable and enable weight loss while doing vigorous activity. I like it that I now know what I can eat outside while still sticking to my goal. Each week, I'm putting in 3 times 30-min circuit training, one time 45-min cardio with some resistance workout and 2 times 1-hr zumba. I'm confident this plan will work.

I plan to share at the forum at the end of my 6 weeks!!

beanbear
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sleepy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:06 pm

Hi beanbear

Thanks for sharing! Indeed difficult decision.

Ideally location is most important. The time I will take to drive to a full fledge gym, look for a parking lot (next to impossible to find one on weekends although weekday morning is quite okay) then walk to the gym, I would have done at least 30 mins workout on various machines at the small scale gym 5 mins walk from my house. The sports council is pretty near my place too, 2 bus stops away so still within walking distance.

I love Zumba :please: The cost of Zumba classes at CC is quite costly at $90/mth for twice a week sessions. That's what prompted me to consider full fledge gym with unlimited classes since it's only marginal increase to pay monthly subscription between $105 to $150/mth depending on which gym I chose. The downside is further away plus all 3 full fledge gyms I checked out have only 2 Zumba classes each week, so not really 'unlimited' :slapshead: although I can join other group classes & use gym equip

By the way, where are having your zumba classes?

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby beanbear » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:13 pm

Hi Sleepy,

I go to flytestudio for zumba. It's actually quite far for me but I like the trainers there and parking is convenient. I'm currently doing about 2-3 times a week. I really enjoy the workouts there as the moves are vigorous enough and I'm sure I'll get many calories burnt!!

I'm also pleased that after my first week of sticking to my meal plans and putting in 4-5hours of exercise, I've lost 1.5 kg! Hurray!

But I know the coming weeks will be tougher as my body gets used to the exercise and food intake and the weight will take longer to shed off. Nevertheless, I'm quite pleased with how my stamina is building and I'm getting stronger each day.

beanbear
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Health