Astigmatism - Uncorrected

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Astigmatism - Uncorrected

Postby jeudesprit74 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:51 am

My 4 YO son has been referred to refraction clinic after his eye check-up in CCC. I brought him to an optometrist recently and from the test derived that he has a high astigmatism on left eye (100+?) and slightly on the right eye. My hubby is not keen on him wearing glasses though.

Does anyone know of what are the consequence of uncorrected astigmatism in kids?

TIA!

jeudesprit74
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Astigmatism - Uncorrected

Postby Imami » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:37 pm

It's just go "more cheem" lor....

A friend's son is in similar case. The parents didn't want him to wear glasses that early. The boy's astigmatism just went north. A year or so later, the teachers in the cc feedback that the kid could not see clearly and that his sight should be checked. The parents took him to the refractive clinic for a checkup and got scolded by the optometrist/doctor when they admitted they didn't do any intervention even though they knew their kid had astigmatism.

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:34 pm

jeudesprit74 wrote:My 4 YO son has been referred to refraction clinic after his eye check-up in CCC. I brought him to an optometrist recently and from the test derived that he has a high astigmatism on left eye (100+?) and slightly on the right eye. My hubby is not keen on him wearing glasses though.

Does anyone know of what are the consequence of uncorrected astigmatism in kids?

TIA!

I'm not too sure about this, but generally, uncorrected vision in one eye can cause the eye to be 'lazy', with the other eye taking over the visual tasks. Your optometrist should be the best one to advise you on the consequences of not correcting.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby J and J » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:58 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
jeudesprit74 wrote:My 4 YO son has been referred to refraction clinic after his eye check-up in CCC. I brought him to an optometrist recently and from the test derived that he has a high astigmatism on left eye (100+?) and slightly on the right eye. My hubby is not keen on him wearing glasses though.

TIA!

I'm not too sure about this, but generally, uncorrected vision in one eye can cause the eye to be 'lazy', with the other eye taking over the visual tasks. Your optometrist should be the best one to advise you on the consequences of not correcting.

What is the uncorrected vision(i.e. eyesight) of your child? And most important is the corrected vision (i.e. with the lens) of your child? Can he see 6/6 after correction (with the trial lens the optometrist put in front of his eyes)? If he does, then you can wait for another 6 months an check again if the astigmatism changes or vision gets worse(lazy eye)? As astigmatism of 100 degree alone rarely causes lazy eye unless there's other errors like high myopia or hyperopia come together.

I agreed that the optometrist should have advised you based on your child's condition. Unless, you want a second opinion, you may see the paediatric ophthalmologist to clarify your child's situation.

J and J
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby tabgha » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:32 pm

J and J wrote:
I agreed that the optometrist should have advised you based on your child's condition. Unless, you want a second opinion, you may see the paediatric ophthalmologist to clarify your child's situation.

I agree with J and J. For kids below 6yo, I always feel that it's best to consult a pediatric ophthalmologist. If left unchecked, it may get from bad to worse. U can visit KKH Eye Clinic. U can first go to polyclinic to get a referral letter to KKH. Best to do it soon.

tabgha
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ngl2010 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:10 pm

Children below 7 years old MUST go to Singapore National Eye Centre (not SNEC. Some company used the abbreviation but they are not the Singapore National Eye Centre). That was what we learned from optometrists when our son has to wear glasses when he was in kindergarten. I think it is a government regulation. How come your optometrist can check him? Maybe you can go to KKH also but I am quite sure that optometrist that checked your son's eyes violated certain government rules.

Singapore National Eye Centre monitored our son's eyes regularly until he was about 7 years old. After that, we just bring him to optometrist every time he needs new glasses.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby J and J » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:30 pm

ngl2010 wrote:Children below 7 years old MUST go to Singapore National Eye Centre (not SNEC. Some company used the abbreviation but they are not the Singapore National Eye Centre). That was what we learned from optometrists when our son has to wear glasses when he was in kindergarten. I think it is a government regulation. How come your optometrist can check him? Maybe you can go to KKH also but I am quite sure that optometrist that checked your son's eyes violated certain government rules.

Singapore National Eye Centre monitored our son's eyes regularly until he was about 7 years old. After that, we just bring him to optometrist every time he needs new glasses.

A registered qualified optometrist is allowed to do refraction/eye check on children below 7 years old, that's stated in the regulation. Even in the Hospitals or Singapore National Eye Centre, the one who check the refraction is an registered optometrist instead. Of course, your child is reviewd by an ophthalmologist for eye health check after the refraction done by the optometrist.

The difference of the optometrists in Hospital / clinic setting and the outside optical shop is your child's vision will be checked under putting in the eye drug which helps to relax the eye muscle to measure a more reliable degree of the eyes. This drug is not allowed to be used by optometrists practice out of the clinic/hospitals. Not all children require this eye drug, only those very young and not so cooperative children or children with special eye condition do.

So even you get the referral letter from polyclinic, you may probably to be referred to the refraction clinic in KKH and seen by an optometrist. :sweat:

J and J
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Imami » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:17 pm

J and J wrote:
ngl2010 wrote:Children below 7 years old MUST go to Singapore National Eye Centre (not SNEC. Some company used the abbreviation but they are not the Singapore National Eye Centre). That was what we learned from optometrists when our son has to wear glasses when he was in kindergarten. I think it is a government regulation. How come your optometrist can check him? Maybe you can go to KKH also but I am quite sure that optometrist that checked your son's eyes violated certain government rules.

A registered qualified optometrist is allowed to do refraction/eye check on children below 7 years old, that's stated in the regulation. Even in the Hospitals or Singapore National Eye Centre, the one who check the refraction is an registered optometrist instead. Of course, your child is reviewd by an ophthalmologist for eye health check after the refraction done by the optometrist.

The difference of the optometrists in Hospital / clinic setting and the outside optical shop is your child's vision will be checked under putting in the eye drug which helps to relax the eye muscle to measure a more reliable degree of the eyes. This drug is not allowed to be used by optometrists practice out of the clinic/hospitals. Not all children require this eye drug, only those very young and not so cooperative children or children with special eye condition do.

So even you get the referral letter from polyclinic, you may probably to be referred to the refraction clinic in KKH and seen by an optometrist. :sweat:

Sounds right. This is similar To what My friend (mentioned above) told me. But just wondering, the drug is to relax the eye muscle, not to dilate?

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby J and J » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:39 pm

Imami wrote:
J and J wrote:

Sounds right. This is similar To what My friend (mentioned above) told me. But just wondering, the drug is to relax the eye muscle, not to dilate?

Apart from relax the eye muscle, the drug also dilates the pupil as well. The strength depends on the types of drugs they use. For children, they may use the drug with stronger eye muscle relaxation effect, while for the adult, they use the drug with mild eye muscle relaxation but fast acting dilation effect to make the pupil larger for the fundus (internal eye) examination.

J and J
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby metz » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:22 pm

TIA!

My kid had the same astigmatism problem (100+) at the beginning of K2. However, we were told that glasses weren't necessary for him. Reason being at such young age, the eyes are still developing, hence the astigmatism problem. Furthermore, he had no myopia. True enough, by P2, his astigmatism problem was gone.

If you are worried, you might want to call HPB up for an eye appointment. Mine had his eye checkup there when he was a preschooler.
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Health