Where to buy spectacles for kids?

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Where to buy spectacles for kids?

Postby nansk » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:35 pm

My 8yo dd needs specs. Please recommend shops you had a good experience at, W.r.t. price, quality and customer service. Thank you.

nansk
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Where to buy spectacles for kids?

Postby nansk » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:01 pm

Hi,
Thank you for your post. We did get her eyesight checked at the hospital and have a prescription for eyeglasses. I was asking for recommendations to good opticians.

nansk
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby BBEwee » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:35 am

nansk wrote:Hi,
Thank you for your post. We did get her eyesight checked at the hospital and have a prescription for eyeglasses. I was asking for recommendations to good opticians.

I guess all optician aware good.I goes to the the shop call "eye link"for my dd's glasses,cause it is quite near to my house and every half a year she need to get her eye check .Usually I pay for about $160 for the glasses.
Maybe you would like to try some shop nearby.

BBEwee
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby nansk » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:41 am

Thanks, BBWee. Over the weekend, I also checked the various optician shops in our neighbourhood. One of them has a student promo for $118. I think we will go for it.

Thanks also for the tip to get her eyes checked every 6 months from now on.

nansk
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Charityst021 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:00 pm

One of the toughest parts about choosing suitable frames for young children is that their noses are not fully developed, so they don't have a bridge to prevent plastic frames from sliding down. Metal frames, however, usually are made with adjustable nose pads, so they fit everyone's bridge.

Most manufacturers recognize this difficulty with plastic frames and make their bridges to fit small noses.

Each frame must be evaluated individually to make sure it fits the bridge. If any gaps exist between the bridge of the frame and the bridge of the nose, the weight of the lenses will cause the glasses to slide, no matter how well the frame seems to fit before the lenses are made.

It is important that the glasses stay in place, because kids tend to look right over the tops of the lenses instead of pushing slipping glasses back up where they belong. Your optician usually is the best judge of whether a frame fits properly.

Charityst021
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Charityst021 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:03 pm

Thank for your posting, this post is very helpful for us , again I give you special thanks for post .

Charityst021
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby nansk » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:29 am

Charityst021 wrote:Thank for your posting, this post is very helpful for us , again I give you special thanks for post .

Not sure whom you are thanking and why. I found your post was lifted straight from this web site. If that is not your web site, your post amounts to plaigarism.

nansk
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby hquek » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:02 am

I think it's best to find something convenient and close by. I usually bring my kids to a trusted optician but then things happen (they fight and specs get bent out of shape); and then I end up at an optician closest to my place and where it's easy to get emergency help. I bought frames from this optician before and thus they kinda know our faces (plus the fact we keep going back for help).

Am mulling in fact if I should change my kids' de facto optician to this nearby one in view of the FREE help they had rendered (push the out of shape back, replaced some broken bits). Never a black face, and they don't charge (like replacing the nose bits).

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby nansk » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:57 am

hquek wrote:..they don't charge (like replacing the nose bits).

Really?! For my own spectacles, an optician in Raffles Place charged $5 to change the nose pads.

nansk
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby hquek » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:59 pm

Yes, for real. One particular brand we like, Swiss flex, I will need to bring the broken parts so they can exchange for free. If it's lost, I will have to pay. That one is very light but very fragile - I went there not less than 5 times in 1.5 years.

But if other brands, and can use generic type, they don't charge. once my kids played until the nose pad metal was very bent; somehow they managed to bring it back to shape. As mentioned, we're famous in that shop already. Although i still dunno the staffs' name (my bad).

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Health