Living with Depression

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.
janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:136

Re: Living with Depression

Post by janet88 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:30 pm

thank you ladies.

the funeral will be tomorrow. uncles from Thailand and Taiwan are rushing back.

leon T
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by leon T » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:13 pm

Just read on papers today that suicide rate is increasing especially in young men..

Sheena8
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Sheena8 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:11 am

leon T wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:13 pm
Just read on papers today that suicide rate is increasing especially in young men..
Actually not just in young men but this is happening among the teenagers. Mental health is so important, we need to take care of it. This is so worrying..

Funz
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:334

Post by Funz » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:57 am

I am having a logic vs emotions battle right now.

Logic tells me that people with depression cannot help how they are feeling and behaving. It is a chemical imbalance and a medical condition. They do not like how they feel either and are struggling.

The emotions part of me is going people with depression are the most selfish, self centred people. Everything is about them and how they feel. Can't they see that they are making the people around them miserable as well.

Over the years, up and down. The brooding, the black faces, the snappishness, the nit picking, the sarcasm. :imdrowning: Does having a depression give you a free pass to treat your loved ones like that?

Sometimes I cannot help but think that people are using depression and mental illness as an excuse for bad behaviour.

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:45

Post by MrsKiasu » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:05 pm

:hugs: funz..

Take the depression issue away, those traits like 'normal' to some people hor.. I guess just happened to have both issues :shrug:

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Post by Funz » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:13 pm

MrsKiasu wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:05 pm
:hugs: funz..

Take the depression issue away, those traits like 'normal' to some people hor.. I guess just happened to have both issues :shrug:
Yah normal times, those traits are present as well. But when depression strikes, multiply that by 5 folds and add being unreasonable to it as well.

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:114

Post by lee_yl » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:21 pm

That’s what happened to my uncle & aunt. My uncle lost his company and his mum had a stroke and became bedridden. My uncle was depressed and full of anger then, created a lot of nonsense for my aunt. The rest of the story became 家家有本难念的经。

To date, both of them are still not talking to each other. I feel that my cousins are badly affected by the actions of my aunt and uncle.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Post by Funz » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:47 pm

Well in your uncle's case, at least you know what led to his depression. For DH's case, we really still have no idea.

The cycle keeps repeating.

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:45

Post by MrsKiasu » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:52 pm

could it be due to stress at work? the stress tolerance level could be lower due to depression.. you must have tried reasoning with yr dh countless times I guess..maybe rope in outsiders like relatives/friends/counsellors to talk him out?

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Post by Funz » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:22 pm

Have gone the counselling route. Over the years he has also learned to spot the signs and tried to manage it from there.

If I look at it very objectively, I would say that is has been manageable most of the time. Just that there will be times when it is worse or it gets to me, like now.

I don't need him acting up now when DD is preparing for her O levels. All these while DD gets very affected whenever he is in his downward spiral. To make it worse, now kids are in their teens so sometimes they lock horns with DH when his nitpicking and sarcasm gets to them and I am caught in between 2 raging storms. There is no winning when DH is in this kind of mood. If kids are there, he will pick on everything, if kids avoid him, he will lay all sorts of sarcasm about how they disregard him, etc. DD was already subjected to emotional blackmail and manipulation by MIL, so when DH does it to her, she gets really affected.

I can see DH trying to battle this round of depression. He is stepping up on his exercising to help cope with all the things that he is feeling. Oh well, the one that benefitted out of this is the dog. He gets extra walks and runs.