Living with Depression

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.
lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:113

Re: Living with Depression

Post by lee_yl » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:53 pm

Funz wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:47 pm
Well in your uncle's case, at least you know what led to his depression. For DH's case, we really still have no idea.

The cycle keeps repeating.
I guess knowing what led to his depression doesn’t really matter? Cos aunt simply refused to talk to him (for years).

Men from their peak when dropped to the bottom, they get depressed. My uncle sold off his car and wanna sell off their matrimonial house too but my aunt refused. Told my aunt because my uncle was desperate but my aunt asked me not to mention his name to her. Just wanna reiterate that my cousins are badly affected by this episode

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:76

Post by ngl2010 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:55 pm

Funz wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:57 am
I am having a logic vs emotions battle right now.

Logic tells me that people with depression cannot help how they are feeling and behaving. It is a chemical imbalance and a medical condition. They do not like how they feel either and are struggling.

The emotions part of me is going people with depression are the most selfish, self centred people. Everything is about them and how they feel. Can't they see that they are making the people around them miserable as well.

Over the years, up and down. The brooding, the black faces, the snappishness, the nit picking, the sarcasm. :imdrowning: Does having a depression give you a free pass to treat your loved ones like that?

Sometimes I cannot help but think that people are using depression and mental illness as an excuse for bad behaviour.
I have given up analysing. My relative has been on medication for about 4-5 years and it has been good for her and us. Her emotion has stabilised. Everybody can live normally. But yes, she is still self centered and selfish. The world still rotates around her. But it is manageable, much much better than when she was without medication. Maybe you want to consider that? It started with more medication but then tapered off to half a tablet every night. It keeps everybody sane.

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:113

Post by lee_yl » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:04 pm

MrsKiasu wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:05 pm
Take the depression issue away, those traits like 'normal' to some people hor.. I guess just happened to have both issues :shrug:

I agree. I used to have a habit of raising my voice when I’m in anger till my parents reminded me to watch my tone. Sometimes we may be blind to our own bad habits and I don’t need to be in depression to flare up.

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:45

Post by MrsKiasu » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:09 pm

lee_yl wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:04 pm
MrsKiasu wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:05 pm
Take the depression issue away, those traits like 'normal' to some people hor.. I guess just happened to have both issues :shrug:

I agree. I used to have a habit of raising my voice when I’m in anger till my parents reminded me to watch my tone. Sometimes we may be blind to our own bad habits and I don’t need to be in depression to flare up.
yes me too..I really dislike it but cant control de.. now quite zen le..but must be ready to accept whatever consequences lor.

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:27

Post by MyPillow » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:32 pm

After reading here , is my understanding correct :
People who have depression is self centered n only think of their own feelings n expect those around her to give in n embrace their “ nonsense “ ? Such traits can drive me nuts too
I used to think people who have depression just dun talk , think dark n dun wish to live ...

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:160

Post by Nebbermind » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:53 pm

I think we should never even make that depressed person feel like he is dragging everyone down with his situation...I fear that it may lead to him ending his life to end it all if he is such a burden...highly possible?

Funz
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:334

Post by Funz » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:21 pm

MyPillow wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:32 pm
After reading here , is my understanding correct :
People who have depression is self centered n only think of their own feelings n expect those around her to give in n embrace their “ nonsense “ ? Such traits can drive me nuts too
I used to think people who have depression just dun talk , think dark n dun wish to live ...
There are many kinds of depressives. Some withdraw into themselves. Some become totally negative and filled with self loathing. Some blame the whole world, everyone and everything for whatever they feel is not right.

Maybe I should not say that people with depression are self centred but more of when they are in that mode, they are very self centred because the depression is in the driver's seat. So everything is about them and how they feel.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:334

Post by Funz » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:28 pm

Nebbermind wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:53 pm
I think we should never even make that depressed person feel like he is dragging everyone down with his situation...I fear that it may lead to him ending his life to end it all if he is such a burden...highly possible?
There is always that fear isn't there?

More importantly how to make sure that you don't get dragged down into that dark hole along with him.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:160

Post by Nebbermind » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:29 pm

:sad:

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:45

Post by MrsKiasu » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:40 pm

yes need worry abt the extreme too..just dunno how far more it is before it snaps..

think workable or not arh..

A: I feel depressed...

B and kids: ok..you want to be alone have more metime? then we shall not disturb you at all yeah... but if you need any help please let us know , we will be more than happy to help..

not sure leh..do you think depressed person need more alone time to deal with own emotions arh?