Loud sleeping sounds from husband, not sleep apnea

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Loud sleeping sounds from husband, not sleep apnea

Postby Jennifer » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:33 pm

I am a light sleeper. Hubby's deep mellow sleeping sounds have been waking me up several times in the night. Once awaken, I do not fall back to sleep easily.

I asked him what his first thought is when he sees my pillow and blanket are not on the bed, he replies: how does other wives cope with their husband's snoring? :mad:

What can I do?

1. Ear plugs? Would I be able to hear my alarm clock ring the next morning?

2. Sleep in the same room, then when I wake up, move to the study room or living room to sleep?

3. Sleep with my children?

4. Send hubby to see a doctor? He did a sleep test 2 year ago at SGH but doctor said nothing wrong with him and did not give any medications or suggestions. I am not the only one hearing his sleeping sounds, both my children are well aware of it too and they are equally troubled by it when we travelled and stayed in the same hotel room.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Loud sleeping sounds from husband, not sleep apnea

Postby jedamum » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:34 pm

when my husband makes loud sounds, i am given the permission to stir him so he will stir in his sleep in hope of adjusting his neck to open the airway and lessen the noise.
it can be difficult to fall asleep with his noise, but once asleep, nothing can wake me except if my kids cries/dreamtalk in their room.
do u sleep with fan? with the whirling sound of the fan, the snores do not seem so loud.
if all else fails and my husband is not offended, i will move onto the next room to sleep if i wake up at night and could not fall back to sleep.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby BeContented » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:10 pm

If not too loud, I put a pillow over my ears.
If it's simply unbearable, I'll wake him up to change his sleeping positon to sideways. Usually the sound is worse when they are sleeping facing up flat ie face ceiling. I thot I read somewhere that sleeping sideways reduces it. So far it works for my hubby.

Once I'm asleep, nothing wakes me up. Yap, not even my kids..... :oops:

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Linlin » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:46 pm

Jennifer wrote:I am a light sleeper. Hubby's deep mellow sleeping sounds have been waking me up several times in the night. Once awaken, I do not fall back to sleep easily.

I asked him what his first thought is when he sees my pillow and blanket are not on the bed, he replies: how does other wives cope with their husband's snoring? :mad:

What can I do?

1. Ear plugs? Would I be able to hear my alarm clock ring the next morning?

2. Sleep in the same room, then when I wake up, move to the study room or living room to sleep?

3. Sleep with my children?

4. Send hubby to see a doctor? He did a sleep test 2 year ago at SGH but doctor said nothing wrong with him and did not give any medications or suggestions. I am not the only one hearing his sleeping sounds, both my children are well aware of it too and they are equally troubled by it when we travelled and stayed in the same hotel room.

I'm same like u so normally I will be the one to sleep first then my hubby. He will sleep side so he will hug me to slp. Slp side do helps and reduce the snoring sound too.

Linlin
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby happyheart » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:01 pm

When my hubby snores, I will give him a gentle shake and once he change his sleeping position but not fully awake, it tends to get better. In really loud cases and when changing position does not help, I am 'allowed' to gently pinch his nose to wake him up. Strangly, it works as when he fell back to sleep, the snoring is no longer so loud. But..I will only do it as a last resort lah...cannot bear to disturb his sleep as well.

I heard from my girlfriend that her hubby is using this nose strip named 'breathe right' to prevent night snoring and the feedback is quite positive. Perhaps can give it a try?

happyheart
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sundaymorning » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:44 pm

i didnt know gentle shake helps, sometimes my husband really snores v loud , gonna try it tonight . Thank you!

sundaymorning
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ammonite » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:09 am

I just prod him and once he shifts position it will be fine. But if he sleeps first and is SO loud, I just sleep elsewhere.

You may want to try different pillows as well. Height of pillow can make a difference.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:46 am

:thankyou: for all the sharing.

The loud sleeping sounds have been going on for some years already.

In the past, I would give him a slight push, then the sounds would die off.

On my lucky days, I only needed to do this once in the night. Other times, more than once a night. Sometimes, it did not work at all and I had to vacate the room.

We tried changing pillows n using the nose strip - no improvement.

It used to be sleeping positions. Now it does not work at all - sideways or not.

I tried using pillows/blanket to cover my ears or to sleep before he does - I still get waken up by him.

It has became my problem that I cant sleep well.

:cry:

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:19 am

In your shoes I will just sleep elsewhere after the first waking up. It can also be part habitual - your sleep has been interrupted so often for a prolonged period that you do not go easily into deep sleep cycle anymore. After a few weeks of proper sleep, you may be able to sleep through some of the noise again.

Can also use ear plugs and put your phone on vibration mode under your pillow. Try on a Saturday first! Or let your hubby wake you up instead!

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schweppes » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:25 am

ammonite wrote:Can also use ear plugs and put your phone on vibration mode under your pillow. Try on a Saturday first! Or let your hubby wake you up instead!

Might not be a good idea to place your cellphone too close to our bodies when we sleep as it emits RF energy. In fact, this will disrupt our sleep pattern.

Might be better off sleep in another room (when the snorer disturbs our sleep) or wear ear plus, but make sure to set 2 alarm clocks - with very loud rings - to wake us up instead.

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Health