From Health Promotion Board: Keyboards

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

From Health Promotion Board: Keyboards

Postby ZacK » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:46 pm

In case you missed this.... extracted from HPB on keyboards which is a common item at home and work.

=============================
Difficult to maintain as germ free, keyboards make for an excellent hideout for bacteria of all kinds. This is bad news for those of us who eat our breakfast/lunch in front of our computers.
Are you guilty of it?

Did you have breakfast, lunch and dinner at your computer?

A recent study has shown that there is an average of 3,300 microbes per square inch on keyboards. Yet another study shows that your keyboard has 60% more germs than a toilet seat does. Researchers also believe that the numbers rise if the computer is shared. Not surprising, this is due to the fact the keyboards are hardly cleaned.
Lurking behind the darkness of your keyboard

Research has shown that numerous types of bacteria and fungi can be found on the typical keyboard at the workplace.

Some of these microbes included the staph and the strep bacteria. Both are responsible for causing infections like pharyngitis (strep throat), bacterial pneumonia and cellulitis which can lead to toxic shock syndrome, a very rare but potentially deadly disease.
Wash your hands regularly

Washing your hands is a good way to prevent the spread of germs from your keyboard to other people. Recommended hand washing steps should be followed, and this will help keep you and your family healthy.
Clean your keyboard, get sick less often.

Cleaning your keyboard is definitely not easy. Use too much water and the device may cease to work altogether. Apply too little and you’re may not do a good job. Here are some simple tips that may help:

* Use bacterial wipes with ammonia as an ingredient to wipe down your keyboard gently. Ammonia is effective against most of the nasty organisms that can make you sick.
* Mix some water with a few drops of dishwashing liquid; dip a dish cloth into the mixture and wipe down your keyboard. Make sure that your computer is turned off.
* USB vacuum cleaners are handy if you need to get rid of dirt stuck between the keys

So take a quick look at your keyboard.

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ZacK » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:48 am

jedamum wrote:
kiasikiasu wrote:What's the point when 99% of Singaporeans already know about this, but most just can't be bothered to do anything about it. When was the last time YOU did something about it?

Just look at the computer keyboards in most office cubicles. Nobody gives a damn.

then i must be the 1% ignorant group cos i was like :!: when i heard it over the news that our workdesk contains more germs than the toilet door knob.
nobody gives a damn? my few then colleagues diligently wipe their keyboards and refrain from eating at the work desk though.

practically, if cleaning of keyboard is much of a chore, ensuring that one washes their hands (things our parents keep nagging us about when we were young) before eating should minimise the risk of carrying the germs from the keyboard to the food ba.

:? Wonder if I missed any "action" ... Saw so many not so nice postings by one member and then all of a sudden "vanished" into the thin air....

Anyway... The article did make some of my colleagues seat up... One of them borrowed our office aunty's vacuum and went to suck up all the "build up" from her keyboard and wiped off her workstation with dettol wipes :D

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:51 am

ZacK wrote: :? Wonder if I missed any "action" ... Saw so many not so nice postings by one member and then all of a sudden "vanished" into the thin air...

Yes... we have removed that troll by simply removing that account. All that hours of hardwork just to create some animosity gone within a couple of seconds.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby jedamum » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:11 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:Yes... we have removed that troll by simply removing that account. All that hours of hardwork just to create some animosity gone within a couple of seconds.

"Kill One Warn One Hundred".
Behold...the Principal has spoken....

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ZacK » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:14 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:
ZacK wrote: :? Wonder if I missed any "action" ... Saw so many not so nice postings by one member and then all of a sudden "vanished" into the thin air...

Yes... we have removed that troll by simply removing that account. All that hours of hardwork just to create some animosity gone within a couple of seconds.

Hahaha... I wonder why do people do such "mindless" things.. That is going around creating enemies :roll: Anyway thanks yeah ;)

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ZacK » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:18 pm

jedamum wrote:
ChiefKiasu wrote:Yes... we have removed that troll by simply removing that account. All that hours of hardwork just to create some animosity gone within a couple of seconds.

"Kill One Warn One Hundred".
Behold...the Principal has spoken....

And to think you have the patience to reply to those postings :!: :P

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:54 pm

ZacK wrote:And to think you have the patience to reply to those postings :!: :P

erm...actually some of the initial posts that showed up was actually quite ok until it got worse....

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby winth » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:16 pm

jedamum wrote:erm...actually some of the initial posts that showed up was actually quite ok until it got worse....

Sigh... really missed out all the action! Must be darn 'song' when you guys did the troll-busting. Wonder if this person is someone familiar?

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby radiantmum » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:40 pm

ECHO-ing my bravo again CLAP CLAP CLAP.

I was particularly offended by IT'S msg posted in febrile fits - absolute insensitivity!

radiantmum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Health