Dental nightguards

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Dental nightguards

Postby sparks » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:27 am

anyone wearing one or knows of someone using it? How long do you get used to it? Is it custom-made or buy over counter? Any recommendations?

My dentist suggested me to have it as he says I either grind or clench my teeth during sleep (which I am totally unaware of, dh says he never hears any grinding noises from me). my teeth are showing signs of wearing out. So, it's going to be more RCTs or pay for a nightguard to minimise no. of RCTs. Anyone can offer some advice on its price range & whether I should wait & see if my teeth can tahan, or just get one from Amazon to try first?? :nailbite:

sparks
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Dental nightguards

Postby godiva » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:46 am

I have been wearing one since 5/6 years ago, at least as my dentist recommended it since i grind my teeth when sleeping.

It is custom made for me by my dentist - she has to do a mould of my teeth and send the mould for the lab to make it and it is a transparent rubbery thingy that I wear over my upper half of teeth.

took some getting use to at first (about 1-2 weeks) but now it is fine. It is always a bit tight when new but soon it is like second skin.

Costs a few hundred dollars but lasts a few years.

By the way what is this RCT option you refer to?

godiva
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby L1ny » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:55 am

i'm a grinder too. normally happen if i'm stress. my hubby wake me up to stop if i grind. the effects is when i want to chew i feel very pain at my side teeth.
mouthguard is custom made and to be match with your upper teeth. i'm malaysian. i went to government hospital. it cost me RM25 only. in singapore it will be $400

L1ny
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby sparks » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:51 pm

godiva wrote:By the way what is this RCT option you refer to?

RCT - root canal treatment. My cracked tooth was infected & had to undergo RCT recently to save that tooth. Cost me $2k+ to save 1 tooth incl crowning. :faint:

My dentist told me nightguard will last only abt 5 yrs. How will you know your nightguard is coming to the end of life? Those sellingat Amazon are really cheap but I don't know if they are effective at all despite the users reviews.

L1ny wrote:i'm a grinder too. normally happen if i'm stress. my hubby wake me up to stop if i grind. the effects is when i want to chew i feel very pain at my side teeth.

Actually, I don't think my life is that stressful leh. don't know how I can stop this teeth grinding problem.

sparks
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby godiva » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:56 pm

The guard suffers from wear and tear...imagine if your teeth are worn out from grinding, the rubber guard will suffer similar fate. You will know if it is time to change, trust me.

Go to dentist and have it custom made to ensure a good fit. Unless you have perfect teeth and can get ready made.

I think teethgrinding could also be hereditary.Other than stress.

godiva
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Health