Injured during exercise

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Injured during exercise

Postby sparks » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:48 pm

I am used to doing aerobic exercises 3xweekly. However, Monday I seemed to have injured my knee during my aerobics & have been walking with a limp till today. I can't even walk at my normal speed. Even whilst walking, I can feel pain in my right leg, sometimes knee, sometimes on hemstring & calf area, not to mention going up & down curbs.

Which type of doctor is the best to consult? sinseh or podiatrist or orthopedist? I have been having knee pain for few years now. The pain seemed to be getting better when I took the glucosamine. I have even seen Dr Jessica Tennant the popular podiatrist regarding my knee but she'd merely advised some exercises (which I didn't followup on :oops:).
Anyone can share some advice?

sparks
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:05 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Injured during exercise

Postby sleepy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:29 am

sparks wrote:I have been having knee pain for few years now. The pain seemed to be getting better when I took the glucosamine.
Anyone can share some advice?


I have knee pain after I started exercising. Even with proper warm up exercises and cool down exercises. What I did is to stop all cardio exercises (used to do kickbox and zumba).

Try to go easy on your knees ie. no jumping, hopping, skipping, jogging. So you may want to consider switching out of aerobics and do some less intensive exercises?

I continue with light weight exercises like dumb bells and floor stretching exercises such as plank. I'm also taking ABT classes twice a week and there is a short component of 15 mins cardio incorporated into a typical ABT routine although not intensive cardio.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 9086
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:21 pm
Total Likes: 34


Re: Injured during exercise

Postby Harlequin » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:44 pm

sparks wrote:I am used to doing aerobic exercises 3xweekly. However, Monday I seemed to have injured my knee during my aerobics & have been walking with a limp till today. I can't even walk at my normal speed. Even whilst walking, I can feel pain in my right leg, sometimes knee, sometimes on hemstring & calf area, not to mention going up & down curbs.

Which type of doctor is the best to consult? sinseh or podiatrist or orthopedist? I have been having knee pain for few years now. The pain seemed to be getting better when I took the glucosamine. I have even seen Dr Jessica Tennant the popular podiatrist regarding my knee but she'd merely advised some exercises (which I didn't followup on :oops:).
Anyone can share some advice?


Consult a GP.
A GP is the best person to judge if you need a follow up with the orthopedist.

Take care.

Harlequin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 5249
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:16 am
Total Likes: 43


Re: Injured during exercise

Postby quirkymum » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:51 pm

I used to have knee pain too while joggin so now I swim. I think in the long run, the doctor advises to stay off exercise that is high impact. Swimming is low impact and good for overall workout.

quirkymum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:53 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Injured during exercise

Postby sparks » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:20 pm

Tks for all your replies! :smile:

Swimming is not convenient for me even though I enjoy it.

My purpose of exercising is to slim down a little or not grow fatter anymore. : P

sleepy wrote:I continue with light weight exercises like dumb bells and floor stretching exercises such as plank. I'm also taking ABT classes twice a week and there is a short component of 15 mins cardio incorporated into a typical ABT routine although not intensive cardio.


Is your goal to lose weight or just to keep fit?

I wonder if cycling on stationery bike helps (as in slimming down whilst protecting the knee)? Someone from internet advocates this.

Any quick pain relief methods to share pls?

sparks
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:05 pm
Total Likes: 0



Re: Injured during exercise

Postby sleepy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:52 am

sparks wrote:
sleepy wrote:I continue with light weight exercises like dumb bells and floor stretching exercises such as plank. I'm also taking ABT classes twice a week and there is a short component of 15 mins cardio incorporated into a typical ABT routine although not intensive cardio.


Is your goal to lose weight or just to keep fit?

I wonder if cycling on stationery bike helps (as in slimming down whilst protecting the knee)? Someone from internet advocates this.

Any quick pain relief methods to share pls?




My goal is to lose weight. Now only mange to maintain my weight.

I'm considering dropping ABT classes too because instructors incorporated lots of squat exercises recently and my knees hurt when doing those squat exercises.

My previous kickbox instructor suggested knee guard although I didn't get one. My personal experience on pain relief is to avoid exercises that strain knees. My knees are perfectly fine when I'm not exercising.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 9086
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:21 pm
Total Likes: 34


Re: Injured during exercise

Postby jjxy mum » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:45 pm

sparks wrote:I am used to doing aerobic exercises 3xweekly. However, Monday I seemed to have injured my knee during my aerobics & have been walking with a limp till today. I can't even walk at my normal speed. Even whilst walking, I can feel pain in my right leg, sometimes knee, sometimes on hemstring & calf area, not to mention going up & down curbs.

Which type of doctor is the best to consult? sinseh or podiatrist or orthopedist? I have been having knee pain for few years now. The pain seemed to be getting better when I took the glucosamine. I have even seen Dr Jessica Tennant the popular podiatrist regarding my knee but she'd merely advised some exercises (which I didn't followup on :oops:).
Anyone can share some advice?


Hi,
I have knee caps pain too , it all started about 20yrs back . I was very active in doing aerobic and involve in some performance too. During that time, I have visited all types of doctor, from opthopedist to chinese sinseh everywhere in Sg. After all treatment, the condition improve slightly.
For the past ten years, the symptoms is on /off but I did not receive any treatment. I tried to avoid standing as it Trigger my knee cap pain even more.
Recently, I went to see my company GP and he said my knee cap is perfectly fine after seeing the x-ray report. He asked me to do knee cap exercise ( bending and straightening) in order to strengthen the muscle.

My advise to all mummies, pls take good care of your knee..it won't fully recover after it has "over worked".

jjxy mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4167
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:54 am
Total Likes: 7


Re: Injured during exercise

Postby sparks » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:09 am

hi jjxy mum, i consulted dr jessica the podiatrist recommended by a mom from this board n underwent physiotherapy for abt 3 mths. initially. she too sent me for x ray n concluded that my knees were normal. during the course of treatment, she had taught me the exercises to strengthen my thighs n ankles which helped. but finally, i realised that it may be my wearing of high heels that may have aggravated my knee pain. now i have completely abstain from wearing my fav pair of heels n my knees are much better. still recovering n i recently went back to my aerobics class but indeed, i can never do it as much as i could before that incident. i agree with you that we must take
special care of the knees otherwise your quality of life will be affected. now i feel like an old lady going up n down the stairs.

sparks
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:05 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Injured during exercise

Postby jjxy mum » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:14 am

sparks wrote:hi jjxy mum, i consulted dr jessica the podiatrist recommended by a mom from this board n underwent physiotherapy for abt 3 mths. initially. she too sent me for x ray n concluded that my knees were normal. during the course of treatment, she had taught me the exercises to strengthen my thighs n ankles which helped. but finally, i realised that it may be my wearing of high heels that may have aggravated my knee pain. now i have completely abstain from wearing my fav pair of heels n my knees are much better. still recovering n i recently went back to my aerobics class but indeed, i can never do it as much as i could before that incident. i agree with you that we must take
special care of the knees otherwise your quality of life will be affected. now i feel like an old lady going up n down the stairs.


Hi Sparks,
Thanks for your info. :smile: Seemed like we are having same condition in our knee. I dare not wear heels too :(
I think the best solution is by doing some light exercise to strengthen the thigh muscle. I have started taking Glucosamine recently and hope that it will 'take care' of the weakened joints. :xedfingers:

jjxy mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4167
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:54 am
Total Likes: 7


Re: Injured during exercise

Postby sleepy » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:39 am

jjxy mum wrote:I think the best solution is by doing some light exercise to strengthen the thigh muscle. I have started taking Glucosamine recently and hope that it will 'take care' of the weakened joints. :xedfingers:


I'm taking Glucosamine on & off too.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 9086
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:21 pm
Total Likes: 34


Next

Return to Health