Any Gd children Shampoo for dry, coarse n frizzy hair?

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Any Gd children Shampoo for dry, coarse n frizzy hair?

Postby fann » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:57 pm

Hihi,
My 6 yr girl used to have smooth, shiny n straight hair. After keeping long hair for 10 mths, her hair texture had changed to dry, coarse n frizzy. We had her long hair cut but it still stays dry n coarse. I had regretted to allow her to keep long hair.
We are using Buds lavender shampoo n use baby cslifornia leave on conditioner. Need some advise on which shampoo for my girl. Thank you.

fann
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:19 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Any Gd children Shampoo for dry, coarse n frizzy hair?

Postby ammonite » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:58 am

I dn't think this is due to hair length at all. Hair texture can change due to environmental factors, diet, and hormones. If she has a slight wave in her hair, it will be more obvious at mid length. My hair has changed from straight to totally wavy over the years.

If it bothers you that much, you can make sure she has enough essential fatty acids in her diet.

For shampoo and conditioner, try Curel brand, Japan's leading range for sensitive skin. It is suitable for young children and doesn't dry the hair out further. It is only available at the bigger watsons stores eg takashimaya and imm. I have tried many many different brands, and right now, I am sticking to this.

I have switched both my sons to Curel for shampoo, conditioner and body wash. They have very different hair and skin, but both are okay with Curel. If I have to alternate it, I will probably alternate it with phytopetites (which is very expensive!!)

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2223
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:13 am
Total Likes: 64


Re: Any Gd children Shampoo for dry, coarse n frizzy hair?

Postby Steadyberry » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:20 am

ammonite wrote:I dn't think this is due to hair length at all. Hair texture can change due to environmental factors, diet, and hormones. If she has a slight wave in her hair, it will be more obvious at mid length. My hair has changed from straight to totally wavy over the years.

If it bothers you that much, you can make sure she has enough essential fatty acids in her diet.
For shampoo and conditioner, try Curel brand, Japan's leading range for sensitive skin. It is suitable for young children and doesn't dry the hair out further. It is only available at the bigger watsons stores eg takashimaya and imm. I have tried many many different brands, and right now, I am sticking to this.

I have switched both my sons to Curel for shampoo, conditioner and body wash. They have very different hair and skin, but both are okay with Curel.
If I have to alternate it, I will probably alternate it with phytopetites (which is very expensive!!)


Hi ammonite

I saw curel at watsons & tot they are for adults witch sensitive skin. So they can be used by kids too? So they do not hv separate range for kids and adults? My ds has eczema and it got from bad to worse since he started morning session this yr. He is currently using cetaphil for his face and sebamed for his body and hair but he said sometimes can be painful when using sebamed. So am thinking of trying other brands like QV or Physiogel body wash. since u mentioned curel, I might want to give it a try. How much is it per bottle?

Steadyberry
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 683
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:00 pm
Total Likes: 1


Re: Any Gd children Shampoo for dry, coarse n frizzy hair?

Postby MMM » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:39 am

..... My dd1 was born with little and straight hair. She had straight hair till maybe 4-5 years old. Now at 12, she has super thick and wavy (maggie type) hair.... Till the extent that many have asked if she permed her hair :yikes: Some envied her (thick and curly) but she is not really happy about it :faint: The amount is difficult to manage too... I have fine and thin hair.... yes some parts are curly but mostly straight.

My dd2 is similarly born with straight hair. She used to have straight fringe too (so cute) but not now.... At some point all her hair also became curlier but not as thick as dd1. Dh has natural curls but still ok for a man type.

Both keep their hair and fringe long so that it's easier to manage. Short curly fringe just seems so unmanageable and wierd looking...

I guess it's the diet. In addition, some said maybe it's due to shaving when they are young???? Though dd2 didn't have her head shave as she was premature. Another nephew had curly hair and his parents have straight hair. Sil shared that they always shave his hair when he was young.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 4734
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:28 pm
Total Likes: 77


Re: Any Gd children Shampoo for dry, coarse n frizzy hair?

Postby ammonite » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:07 am

MMM wrote:..... My dd1 was born with little and straight hair. She had straight hair till maybe 4-5 years old. Now at 12, she has super thick and wavy (maggie type) hair.... Till the extent that many have asked if she permed her hair :yikes: Some envied her (thick and curly) but she is not really happy about it :faint: The amount is difficult to manage too... I have fine and thin hair.... yes some parts are curly but mostly straight.

My dd2 is similarly born with straight hair. She used to have straight fringe too (so cute) but not now.... At some point all her hair also became curlier but not as thick as dd1. Dh has natural curls but still ok for a man type.

Both keep their hair and fringe long so that it's easier to manage. Short curly fringe just seems so unmanageable and wierd looking...

I guess it's the diet. In addition, some said maybe it's due to shaving when they are young???? Though dd2 didn't have her head shave as she was premature. Another nephew had curly hair and his parents have straight hair. Sil shared that they always shave his hair when he was young.


Yes thick wavy curly hair is hard to manage in our weather. But in colder climates, they are effortless and really beautiful! Get the hair layered well to take off some of the weight and heat, shampoo roots well, condition, and use some wax from mid length to ends to keep the waves tidy. Many people with straight hair envy my waves, but it took me many years to learn how to manage it!

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2223
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:13 am
Total Likes: 64



Re: Any Gd children Shampoo for dry, coarse n frizzy hair?

Postby sembgal » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:08 am

Have to apply lots of conditioner after washing hair. Loreal Kids Strawberry shampoo (pink bottle) and paraben-free grape conditioner (purple bottle) are what I used on my child's long hair. My child used to be prone to ecezema and has sensitive skin and so far the shampoo and conditioner is working well on her.

Look for paraben-free shampoo and conditioner too. Paraben can cause cancer. You can google to find out more about paraben.

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2944
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:36 pm
Total Likes: 39


Re: Any Gd children Shampoo for dry, coarse n frizzy hair?

Postby ammonite » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:27 am

Steadyberry wrote:
Hi ammonite

I saw curel at watsons & tot they are for adults witch sensitive skin. So they can be used by kids too? So they do not hv separate range for kids and adults? My ds has eczema and it got from bad to worse since he started morning session this yr. He is currently using cetaphil for his face and sebamed for his body and hair but he said sometimes can be painful when using sebamed. So am thinking of trying other brands like QV or Physiogel body wash. since u mentioned curel, I might want to give it a try. How much is it per bottle?


Hi, Curel does not claim to be for atopic dermatitis, but my boy who had battled eczema, and myself, with allergic dermatitis and psoriasis, both do well on it. Curel can be used on babies. It does contain a bit of essential oil, so some people may not react well to that, but so far, it is the best thing I have tried at that price point. I started with the small shampoo which was around $10, I think, and then bought everything in large, times 2. I spend almost $100 for my most recent purchase.

I have tried the rest on my son and we don't like them. My son hates the smell, and somehow it just does not feel clean. One doctor told me not to use cetaphil because he does not see any improvements in his patients using it. He also did not recommend any, so I think that is fair enough.

If your son complains of pain, you should stop using it. Did he have some abrasion or scratches in his skin then? Generally for lingering inflamed patches, there is mild infection and these soaps, though moisturizing, just don't clean well enough. When my son's skin was very broken and inflammed, I had to clean with very weak soapy water, and then flush with saline (buy satchels from pharmacy) because even tap water irritates,pat dry very well, and then put antibiotic cream until it healed. (but when it was truly very bad, we had to cover all the broken skin when we showered him and only flush the patches with saline water) Previously all the other doctors just gave me Elomet and cetaphil/sebamed/BM oil etc and they didn't help at all. Just made things worse.

If it is just a slight rash right now with a little bit of broken skin that he keeps scratching, and you can FEEL the ragged skin but no blood spots yet, what I did was wash with Curel in tepid water, pat dry, apply either Curel cream ($28 for a tub) or Avene calming formula ($40 for tiny tube) on all the rough patches. You must do it at least twice a day, and it will heal up well after a couple of weeks and he will stop scratching. While it is healing. If he scratch because of heat or dust, you can either give him a quick shower (moisturise right after) or a damp towel to hold over the itchy patches. It will calm the skin down.

If it is more inflammed,use more of the Avene formula, and alternate with either antiseptic cream (if your son's skin can tolerate it, mine cannot), antibiotic cream from doctor(use sparingly) or you can try Avene Cicalfate cream which has natural antibacterial properties.
Last edited by ammonite on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2223
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:13 am
Total Likes: 64


Re: Any Gd children Shampoo for dry, coarse n frizzy hair?

Postby ammonite » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:29 am

sembgal wrote:Have to apply lots of conditioner after washing hair. Loreal Kids Strawberry shampoo (pink bottle) and paraben-free grape conditioner (purple bottle) are what I used on my child's long hair. My child used to be prone to ecezema and has sensitive skin and so far the shampoo and conditioner is working well on her.

Look for paraben-free shampoo and conditioner too. Paraben can cause cancer. You can google to find out more about paraben.


That was the shampoo I used after which the skin on my son's neck began to flake. :( I used it for about a month. It took three weeks of Curel and Avene to bring it back to normal.

Phyto petites is okay for him but it is $52 a bottle. :faint:

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2223
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:13 am
Total Likes: 64


Re: Any Gd children Shampoo for dry, coarse n frizzy hair?

Postby Steadyberry » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:11 am

Hi ammonite

Thx for yr reply. Yes, my son's condition is very similar to yr son's condition. And even tap water irritates him. Did try antiseptic cream but didn't heal so no choice but to use elomet. Now is much better. So thinking of switching to other brands which is milder or doesn't irritate his skin. But did notice small part of his scalp has started to flake. Sigh! Will definitely try out the products you mentioned. Will go down to watsons later. Sorry for the ot.

Steadyberry
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 683
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:00 pm
Total Likes: 1


Re: Any Gd children Shampoo for dry, coarse n frizzy hair?

Postby ammonite » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:31 am

We used a few rounds of steroids but we found it was a negative cycle. It will get better, but the time between each flare up shortened and each episode of flare up was longer and worse. Eventually his skin became very brittle and bled very easily. We gave up on all steriods and took the long slow way to recovery (cleaning, saline, antibiotic creams, and removing triggers) and the healed skin was much thicker and resistant to tearing and infection. Some of the worst sites never recurred again. Now it is just the areas where the skin is especially thin, or have contact with surfaces that are more vulnerable.

Anyway, I hope it works well for your son! Eczema is very tiring!

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2223
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:13 am
Total Likes: 64


Next

Return to Health