Vitamins for teenager

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Vitamins for teenager

Postby boinbi » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:51 pm

My dd is 13 yrs old. Would like to get vitamins for her but she has difficulty swallowing tablets. Have been looking around and so far haven't been able to find chewable vitamins or vitamins in syrup form for teenagers. Any recommendation will be appreciated:)

boinbi
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Re: Vitamins for teenager

Postby scang » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:15 am

Maybe you can consider this:

Omega-Q Fish Oil
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouPRTWeJng4

scang
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby janet88 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:23 am

I give kids Nordic cod liver...has flavors like peach, strawberry and orange to mask the smell...frankly i can still smell the fishy oil. Son has sinus...when I give him cod liver oil, it helps to cut down on sneezing in the morning.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby boinbi » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:18 pm

[quote][I give kids Nordic cod liver...has flavors like peach, strawberry and orange to mask the smell...frankly i can still smell the fishy oil. Son has sinus...when I give him cod liver oil, it helps to cut down on sneezing in the morning.

/quote]

May I know whether it's for kids below 12 or also for teenagers?

boinbi
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby ngl2010 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:31 pm

Hi boinbi,

Sorry... but shouldn't your dd learn to swallow tablets? Most of medicine for adults are in tablets/capsules form....

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby scang » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:58 pm

Andre wrote:What i feel is getting vitamins from natural sources is the thing i mean there a lot of food which contain a good amount of these substances which should be taken rather then going for these pills this is how i feel.

I would agree with you if it was 100 or 50 years ago.

However with the rapid industrialization of the world over, everything from the so called "natural sources" are no longer natural or not modified, changed or contaminated.

Take for example, a normal chicken, can't be produced in the masses to meet the demand for chicken meat, so they are artificially fatten and fed to grow into what they are today to meet the demand for its meat.

Similarly, vegetables are grown with pesticide put on them to ensure it is not eaten by its natural prey etc.

Even potatoes and many other food sources are grown or use GMO to grow them. In fact, even many nutritional supplements has GMO, are not natural, has synthetic ingredients in them.

So it is important to learn and know the difference and be educated about your sources of food, supplements or any other food stuff.

scang
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby scang » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:17 am

some reading for your info.

scang
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby boinbi » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:29 pm

Thanks for all yr replies. Looks like the best way is still to teach dd how to swallow tablets:< Any teaching tips?

boinbi
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Harlequin » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:12 pm

boinbi wrote:Thanks for all yr replies. Looks like the best way is still to teach dd how to swallow tablets:< Any teaching tips?

I just taught my 7yo DD a few months back :imcool:

Start with caplet or capsule, it's easier to swallow compare to the round disk uncoated tablet, they are less likely to melt in the mouth or give bitter taste.

Sip water to moisture the throat, put the caplet/capsule at either side of the mouth as far back as possible, gulp down with a big mouthful of water.

Initially my girl had hard time swallowing cos she "stored" the big mouthful of water in her mouth with the capsule "swimming" in it, and then she swallowed the water bit by bit :slapshead: , instead of gulping it down.

It will take a few try before your DC master it, so best is not to try it after meal, will be bloated with water. :smile:

If your DC is ok with chilled drinks, drink some very chilled water/juice to "numb" the mouth/throat to aid the swallowing.

Jia-you :rahrah:

Harlequin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:20 pm

Hi you can look up Floradix. It is liquid supplement made from herbs and concentrated juices. The range has different formulations for different minerals and vitamins and supposed to be higher in bioavailability. Adults just take more than children. I bought mine from Brown Rice Paradise, but I think some pharmacies and health food stores have them as well. My 6 yr old loves them and guzzles them down.

I give my 9 year old Nordic fish oil in liquid form. Purer and no sugar.

You can also make rooibos tea for antioxidant boost.

If you must give pills or tablets, you can crush them up to powder form, or open the capsule and pour the content out to make swallowing easier. (or just cut into half) When I had to give my 6 year old probiotic supplements, I opened the capsule up and poured the powder onto a teaspoon. The taste was agreeable, he had no problem taking the powder.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Health