Day Coughing, Night Coughing, TCM or Western Doctor

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Day Coughing, Night Coughing, TCM or Western Doctor

Postby titank » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:32 am

Hi All,

Does anyone of you have child experienced day cough or night cough? Everytime the child have such a problem, I would just go bring see a doctor. After a while, it do surface out the problem again :cry: .

I wonder whether a good TCM can help to solve this problem? :shock:

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 3977
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:56 am
Total Likes: 4


Postby kuzco » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:17 pm

I heard that TCM treats the root of the problem although it is slow-acting, while western medicine only treats the symptoms.

When my son was about 4 - 5 years old, he caught a lot of coughs from the childcare centre that he was in. It was so frequent that out of desperation, I brought him to Eu Yan Sang because western medicine did not seem to help. Eu Yan Sang recommended some kind of powder in a small thin plastic tube, taken twice a day (I think, cannot remember liao). It was very expensive and it really worked. It eventually managed to clear up my son's cough and he did not seem to catch it quite so often. So each time if any family member catches a very persistent cough, we would go back to Eu Yan Sang.

kuzco
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:58 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby titank » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:21 pm

kuzco wrote:I heard that TCM treats the root of the problem although it is slow-acting, while western medicine only treats the symptoms.

When my son was about 4 - 5 years old, he caught a lot of coughs from the childcare centre that he was in. It was so frequent that out of desperation, I brought him to Eu Yan Sang because western medicine did not seem to help. Eu Yan Sang recommended some kind of powder in a small thin plastic tube, taken twice a day (I think, cannot remember liao). It was very expensive and it really worked. It eventually managed to clear up my son's cough and he did not seem to catch it quite so often. So each time if any family member catches a very persistent cough, we would go back to Eu Yan Sang.


Oh I being trying to search a good TCM & perhaps visit at a regular interval.Maybe weekly or bi-weekly. The cough is like there is quite a fiar bit of flam inside the throat airway!

Western Doctors don't really solve the root of the problem. 治标不治本

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 3977
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:56 am
Total Likes: 4


Postby Jennifer » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:07 pm

I discovered some of the common medication my kids' PD prescribed contains preservatives/flavouring. I read in a book by Sue Dengate that such stuff can actually be the triggers for asthma cough.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 23240
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:10 pm
Total Likes: 106


Postby lifestylelink » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:54 pm

A lot of cough are triggered by food irritation. It is related to some kind of food allergy. Get yourself tested. Most of these culprits are diary products, wheat and gluten products. Eggs too.

lifestylelink
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:29 pm
Total Likes: 0



Postby fussyMummy » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:17 am

Some of the parents totally dont believe in "chinese doctor" or "chinese herb"...
You may try zhong hua clinic at toa payoh.... and must patience with it.. as not say visit one time can cure....

My son been flu for many months, totally cant get sleep at night... i visited many "western doctor", and just gave those flu medicine... its stop after eat medicine and back again after medicine finished... till some of the doctors said is sensitive nose, cant be cure... :cry: made me heartbroken...

After it I seek help from "chinese medicine", with bad experince when i visited zhong hua admiratly branch... that female doctor asked me to visited 'western doctor"!!!!.... which made me nearly give her a big slap!!!! :stupid:

Currently manage to get a "chinese" doctor and the medicine works... my son can sleep well and I will continue to visit the doctor as she said need to "maintain" my son condition...

And observe his daily meal...Personally think dont give cold drinks to kids... if makan outside, normally i will order a warm homemade soy bean for kids... Depends lah.. just like my colleague, give her son drinks cold coke, cold oranger fruits every night also okay... and ya ya papaya said I so fussy my son also sick... :stupid:

fussyMummy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 404
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:05 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby Jennifer » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:38 am

fussyMummy wrote:just like my colleague, give her son drinks cold coke, cold oranger fruits every night also okay... and ya ya papaya said I so fussy my son also sick... :stupid:


I can empathise with your situation.

I hv bn to Chung Hwa @ Toa Payoh once (recommended by a mum here), seen Physician Xu. Which one did you see?

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 23240
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:10 pm
Total Likes: 106


Postby kuzco » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:18 pm

Oh ya, forgot to mention also....some people say don't eat chicken, especially chicken skin, when coughing. I don't know why :? but we try to avoid but sometimes it's hard to. Does anyone know why must avoid chicken? The other usual stuff like oranges, grapes, cold drinks, etc must also avoid.

kuzco
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:58 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby titank » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:22 pm

kuzco wrote:Oh ya, forgot to mention also....some people say don't eat chicken, especially chicken skin, when coughing. I don't know why :? but we try to avoid but sometimes it's hard to. Does anyone know why must avoid chicken? The other usual stuff like oranges, grapes, cold drinks, etc must also avoid.


Ang Moh Doctor (Western Doctor) said ok to eat chicken. :shock:
Chinese Doctor said cannot eat because chicken are cold?

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 3977
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:56 am
Total Likes: 4


Postby Guest » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:33 pm

There are a few solutions you can try. Sometimes the cough is triggered by phelgm flowing down the airways.

1. Let the child sleep on higher pillow and sleep on the side. (immediate relief)
2. Apply any medicated oil to the base of the feet, rub them warm and then wear socks over it. (immediate relief)
3. Eat manuka honey regularly (long term cure)
4. For quick relief very effective, spacer with Seretide(needs prescription as there is mild steroids in it). This also prevents it in developing into asthmatic cough. (If 1 and 2 not effective, then use this)
5. Lastly, for long term, go swimming or do regular exercises, it helps them build better immunity. (long term solution)

Usually I keep a bottle of Ventolin to be used with the spacer. For mild cough symptoms, I will use Ventolin first. If it becomes irritable, I will use Seretide and so far for Seretide only need to puff once or twice, the cough will miraculously go away.

*Touchwood* Have not coughed for quite a long time. :D
Guest
 

Next

Return to Health