Blocked nose with no mucus

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Blocked nose with no mucus

Postby JR » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:34 am

Does anyone here has blocked nose but there is no mucus? If yes, what was the cause?

JR
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Blocked nose with no mucus

Postby cherrygal » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:59 pm

If it's the acute type, ie sudden blockage with lots of sneezing, then it's an allergic reaction to something.

If not, then could be sinus. If pain felt in cheeks or upper jaw, then must get antibiotics from doc.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Puzz...zzle » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:07 pm

I have these symptom after the haze started in June till now, block nose and sneezing the whole day, at night got to breath very hard when sleeping hence can"t sleep well. Thought it will over after the haze gone but still remain the same. Tried Zertec B last night, hope will feel better soon...

Puzz...zzle
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby JR » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:02 am

cherrygal wrote:If it's the acute type, ie sudden blockage with lots of sneezing, then it's an allergic reaction to something.

If not, then could be sinus. If pain felt in cheeks or upper jaw, then must get antibiotics from doc.

Thanks for the information.

My son seems to have this blocked nose once every two months. He does not have the above symptoms. According to western doctor he could be having a sensitive nose and he prescribed Zrytec and Fedac (which make my son very drowsy and difficult to wake him up in the morning for school). If the situation did not improve in a week, then we have to go back to the doctor for nasal spray.

I have also consulted TCM at EYS and was told that his nasal polyp on the right side is swollen and thus block the opening of the sinuses. The doctor said it is unlikely to be allergy as he would be sneezing and having running very frequently. According to the TCM there is accumulation of shi qi resulting in the swelling. He was given 1 week medication to reduce the swelling and dissipate the shi qi. Will go back to TCM for follow up this weekend.

JR
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Nebbermind » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:19 am

Sometimes for such chronic health problem, western medicine may not be so suitable coz they mainly treat symptomatically.

TCM or even homeopathy may be better alternative.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cherrygal » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:06 am

Zyrtec is the anti-histamine for allergies. Meant to stop runny noses, itchy eyes etc.

Fedac is super sleepy but effective for bad blockage. To clear mild blockage, use Clarinase instead. Non-sleepy formula from the pharmacist.

I would just take Clarinase if it's only blockage. Stop the Zyrtec & Fedac if you take Clarinase.

The nasal spray is usually steroidal so it's not good to use too much.

If sensitive nose, try washing his sheets in a hot cycle (60C) every week. Clean all his toys, no furry toys on the bed. Raise his pillow and let him sleep propped up. A humidifier may also help him breathe better.

Please also do not mix Western and Chinese medications. Stop all western meds when taking the TCM stuff.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:12 am

A suggestion to ease the discomfort, put a couple of drops of Eucalytus or Tea Tree oil on their pillows whenever their noses get stuffy. Helps them breathe better when they sleep. Vapex helps too. Alternatively you can the oils into a diffuser or humidifier.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby JR » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:07 am

Thanks all for your advise and suggestion.

Like cheerygal, I am hesitant to use of nasal spray. I believe in TCM for treating the body as a whole. Of course for illness that need immediate attention, consultation with western doctor is still necessary.

JR
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mathtuition88 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:48 pm

There is a product in Singapore the Sinus Rinse Kit (http://www.guardian.com.sg/sinus-rinse-kit/p/139482). Available in Guardian.

It is actually not new, as it is used in ancient India thousands of years ago, but recently gained popularity.

Works well to reduce nasal blockage.

mathtuition88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Health