Chicken Pox

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Chicken Pox

Postby chixchix » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:59 pm

Hii all its the first time my boy,aged 6 is having Chicken pox, its the 3rd day now. He doesnt seem to be itching much though and is still active. Is there any dos and donts ...i am not bathing him for a week...just sponging him. I brought him to the GP and was given an antiviral medication and a antiseptoc solution to bathe him with.. but my boy finds it stinging ..so i am just sponging him with normal plain water.

Any parents have any advise ? TIA :D

chixchix
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby MLR » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:46 pm

Hiya Chixchix,
As long as he is not having fevers and pains, nothing to worry about.
Do use the bath solution that Dr prescribed, its to help prevent infections of the pox, its a little stinging cos it an antiseptic wash. Since you are sponging him, mix it in the water to sponge him, don't let him sees it, most probably he won't even feel the sting. Use calamine lotion to keep the pox dry and also relieves irritation.

Do gives more fluids to help him hydrated. Do avoid the usual "heaty" stuff like fried food. And since he is taking antiviral, it should reduces the syptoms and speeds up recovery.

Do take care of yourself too, if not after he recovers you may end up getting ill instead.

Take care :D

MLR
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby chixchix » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:34 pm

hii thx..

chixchix
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby outsider » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:33 pm

Any food to avoid? Chicken, beans, eggs
My sis advise me to just feed pork and fish and vegetable for 2 weeks. I am going to cry... stuck at home with my ds for 2 weeks

outsider
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schellen » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:44 pm

When I had chicken pox (when I was 19), I was told to avoid black sauces and seafood. Black sauces=leave scars? Seafood=causes (more?) itching?

I don't know whether to really believe these words of "advice" but since I was still living with my parents and wanted to appease them, I followed suit.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby autumnbronze » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:46 pm

schellen wrote:When I had chicken pox (when I was 19), I was told to avoid black sauces and seafood. Black sauces=leave scars? Seafood=causes (more?) itching?

I don't know whether to really believe these words of "advice" but since I was still living with my parents and wanted to appease them, I followed suit.

Hi chixchix,

Ditto :wink:

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby mrswongtuition » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:54 pm

My boy had chicken pox when he was around 1+ yr old.

My mum made sure he does not eat:
- Chicken
- Eggs
- Seafood (can eat fish though)

We bathed him in diluted antiseptic solution as the concentrated solution stings very badly. Applied calamine lotion to relieve discomfort plus it helps to dry out the blisters faster.

My boy was still very active with great appetite when he had chicken pox.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby juleswinger » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:23 pm

The most common lotion used for chicken pox is Calamine lotion. This or any similar over-the-counter preparation can be applied to the blisters to help dry them out and soothe the skin.

juleswinger
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

All About Chickenpox

Postby jiyou2003 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:34 am

I am having chicken pox now. No elderly at home to "give" the do things and on other hand to "block" all the dont. Any suggestion?

jiyou2003
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby tankee » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:31 pm

hi

Take care

This is a brief guide from Health Promotion Board

http://www.hpb.gov.sg/diseases/article.aspx?id=6432

tankee
Site Admin

Next

Return to Health