Chicken Pox

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.
tigger88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Chicken Pox

Post by tigger88 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:04 am

micollh wrote:yes, tigger88, tt;s what i heard the older u get the serious it is.

And I had a few CP scars on my face and had to do a few intensive sessions of diamond peels to get rid of them... :moneyflies: :moneyflies:

micollh
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by micollh » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:05 am

muahaha.. so better get it when younger..

dovetail
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by dovetail » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:34 pm

I had the Mother-Of-All Chicken Pox. It was so many from scalp to toe. Worse of all, I was pregnant with DS. It happened at 16th week so gynae say risk is lower but I was worried till the day I saw the sonograph and saw he was okay but still worried till the day he was out. He came out healthy with beautiful skin and Apgar Score of 10. Thank God!

It was a terrible experience. Fever for 2 weeks, temp up to 40 deg. Hubby took care of me day and night. During pregnancy, suppose to take heaty food but I couldn't. There were a lot of conflicting food for CP and pregnancy. So in the end I do it my own way and took a lot of celery and carrot juice daily. Perhaps that's why ds loves to eat vege now and has perfect eyesight in his teens.

For ladies who are preparing to conceive, perhaps they want to get vaccinated. You really don't want to get CP during pregnancy. At 18 weeks, baby can be at risk.

micollh
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by micollh » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:39 pm

yes, dovetail, it's dangerous to get CP during pregnancy. im glad ur DS is well and healthy.

tigger88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by tigger88 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:43 pm

micollh wrote:yes, dovetail, it's dangerous to get CP during pregnancy. im glad ur DS is well and healthy.

I was planning to conceive and kana chicken pox. My MIL warned me not to conceive within 3mths after CP...but I got preggy just after one month. :razz:

dovetail
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by dovetail » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:02 pm

tigger88 wrote:
micollh wrote:yes, dovetail, it's dangerous to get CP during pregnancy. im glad ur DS is well and healthy.

I was planning to conceived and kana chicken pox. My MIL warned me not to conceive within 3mths after CP...but I got preggy just after one month. :razz:

After CP is okay. During CP is dangerous, baby can get deformed. I had such high fever, my poor ds inside also suffered. Gynae said maybe he got immunity because of this but I still get him vaccinated for CP at 1 year old.

tigger88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by tigger88 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:09 pm

dovetail wrote:After CP is okay. During CP is dangerous, baby can get deformed. I had such high fever, my poor ds inside also suffered. Gynae said maybe he got immunity because of this but I still get him vaccinated for CP at 1 year old.

Thank god your DS is healthy. You must be worried sick during your pregnancy.

leo
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by leo » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:31 pm

To parents with kids with chicken pox who took the anti viral meds (that pink one to be taken 4 times a day) - is it true that it will reduce the 'downtime'?

Reason I ask this is because GP gave DD the meds (it was only after I googled that I realise it is not recommended for healthy pp and there are side effects, but too late, have started so have to continue). And she didn't have that much pox, but she scratched all of them. By right, a person is considered as not contagious once the pox dried up (supposedly 10 to 14days?), but now that she scratched all of them until they are scars, there is no pox left for me to know if her pox has dried up and that she is no longer contagious. (talk about low threshold of itch and high threshold of pain).

So would like to know what is the number of days that we are looking at for those that took the anti viral meds.

poppyqueen
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by poppyqueen » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:17 pm

My ds had chicken pox when he was 1 year old. We didn't know where he caught it from as nobody around us had it! However, some people told us it just comes from "internally"

Some food we avoided : chicken, eggs, seafood and soya sauce. We also try to avoid within 100 days after the bout.

We also didn't bath him when he had chicken pox, and instead just did sponging.

We were prescribed calamine lotion, but as ds is too young, we didn't apply for fear of him touching his body and swallowing it.

The following remedies work very well in reducing his itch and reducing the severity! :-
1) Oatmeal bath - Soak in muslin cloth and let the water turn cloudy. Then use the cloudy water to sponge bath.
2) Baking soda bath - Dilute in the sponge bath water. I alternate with the oatmeal bath.
3) Vinegar - I used organic apple cider vinegar and placed together with his bath water.Supposed to have anti bacterial properties .
4) Honey - Honey is also supposed to have anti bacterial properties and soothe the skin. Hubby doesn't like me to use this as he thinks it's yucky to be left unwashed on the skin and attract ants. Therefore, i have to secretly apply in the middle of the night, especially around my son's buttock and penis area as a lot of sores are concentrated there due to the wearing of diapers and insufficient ventilation. I used good quality manuka honey. (PS: btw, pure honey do not attract ants)
5) Neem leaves - This is a kind of leave that Indians use to pray to their gods. I went around sourcing at my nearby Indian grocery stores until i finally found a person who grew the tree himself. It can be used 2 ways. The leaves can be spread as a "pillow" to be slept on. It has cooling effect and reduces itches and hastens recovery. Secondly, the leaves can be pounded into a paste and applied directly on the lesions. Tried the pounding which is really tiring and time consuming. Morever, the "paste" seems to keep falling off the body. So only applied once.
6) Vit E cream - Applied on my son when the lesions had dried up and scabs are forming. This helps in skin recovery and elimination of scars.

Glad to say that above did hasten my son's recovery. Within 4 days, his scabs are forming and falling off when recovery time is normally 7 days. It also reduces his itch and discomfort. Do not know whether it's due to his "youth" and quick skin turn over, but glad to say he didn't have any scars too! (*silently bless*)

PS: Got the above tips after googling for natural remedies and getting this ebook which is easy to read and instructions are easy to follow :D http://www.fastchickenpoxcure.com/blog/chicken-pox-home-remedies-7-proven-natural-home-remedies-for-chicken-pox/

jiyou2003
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by jiyou2003 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:19 pm

dovetail wrote:
phankao wrote:
dovetail wrote:

Thanks for info.

Can only see family doc Monday morning. If it's chicken pox, it'll be too late for anti-viral treatment. Must do it within 48hrs of eruption. Still not sure if it is chicken pox. He has tiny pimplish bumps all over his body. I use magnifying glass to check, don't see blisters. Also no flu-like symptom. He was vaccinated at one, even if he should get again, the rash should not be so many.

DS had just gor chicken pox and doc say it's too late for anti-viral treatment.