Chicken Pox

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.
jiyou2003
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Chicken Pox

Post by jiyou2003 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:16 am

poppyqueen wrote:My ds had chicken pox when he was 1 year old. We didn't know where he caught it from as nobody around us had it! However, some people told us it just comes from "internally"

Some food we avoided : chicken, eggs, seafood and soya sauce. We also try to avoid within 100 days after the bout.

We also didn't bath him when he had chicken pox, and instead just did sponging.

We were prescribed calamine lotion, but as ds is too young, we didn't apply for fear of him touching his body and swallowing it.

The following remedies work very well in reducing his itch and reducing the severity! :-
1) Oatmeal bath - Soak in muslin cloth and let the water turn cloudy. Then use the cloudy water to sponge bath.
2) Baking soda bath - Dilute in the sponge bath water. I alternate with the oatmeal bath.
3) Vinegar - I used organic apple cider vinegar and placed together with his bath water.Supposed to have anti bacterial properties .
4) Honey - Honey is also supposed to have anti bacterial properties and soothe the skin. Hubby doesn't like me to use this as he thinks it's yucky to be left unwashed on the skin and attract ants. Therefore, i have to secretly apply in the middle of the night, especially around my son's buttock and penis area as a lot of sores are concentrated there due to the wearing of diapers and insufficient ventilation. I used good quality manuka honey. (PS: btw, pure honey do not attract ants)
5) Neem leaves - This is a kind of leave that Indians use to pray to their gods. I went around sourcing at my nearby Indian grocery stores until i finally found a person who grew the tree himself. It can be used 2 ways. The leaves can be spread as a "pillow" to be slept on. It has cooling effect and reduces itches and hastens recovery. Secondly, the leaves can be pounded into a paste and applied directly on the lesions. Tried the pounding which is really tiring and time consuming. Morever, the "paste" seems to keep falling off the body. So only applied once.
6) Vit E cream - Applied on my son when the lesions had dried up and scabs are forming. This helps in skin recovery and elimination of scars.

Glad to say that above did hasten my son's recovery. Within 4 days, his scabs are forming and falling off when recovery time is normally 7 days. It also reduces his itch and discomfort. Do not know whether it's due to his "youth" and quick skin turn over, but glad to say he didn't have any scars too! (*silently bless*)

PS: Got the above tips after googling for natural remedies and getting this ebook which is easy to read and instructions are easy to follow :D http://www.fastchickenpoxcure.com/blog/chicken-pox-home-remedies-7-proven-natural-home-remedies-for-chicken-pox/

Hi poppyqueen,
What diet does yr ds has?
Fish Porridge (wu-yu)? herbal drink? coconut? Vit C or multi Vit?

Baking Soda, is it the ayam brand that we can get in NTUC? It will bubble up when come it contact w water. So, u let the bubble settle down?

Had go to the link (didnt buy e-book), didnt mention much about diet.

jiyou2003
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by jiyou2003 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:31 am

Hi poppyqueen,
like to know which brand of Vit E cream u use. Which is better, cream or oil?

poppyqueen
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by poppyqueen » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:16 am

Hi jiyou,

I gave my son a very light diet during the first 2 weeks as i want his body to concentrate on fighting the virus rather than wasting effort on digesting heavier food. Therefore, all meat(including fish) was out .I fed him only porridge with vegetable eg carrot, potato. After 2 weeks, pork and fish can be added. And for the 100 days within him getting chicken pox, "toxic" food like chicken, eggs, seafood was avoided.

Another food you can give is yogurt. A healthy digestive tract is the first key to having a healthy body. And if you don't mind the yucky factor, yogurt can also be applied directly on the lesions as it also has anti bacterial properties.

For cooling water, i just boiled barley water for him to drink. For vit c, i relied on giving him squeezed orange and carrot juice instead as he's too young to eat multi vits at 1 yo. Besides, i feel freshly squeezed juices are better than vit c tables. :)

Hmm, i can't remember the brand of baking soda i got. I just took the one which stated pure baking soda as i'm concerned "unpure" baking soda may contain ingredients that may irritate. Don't quite recall there's much bubbling in the water though.

For vit E cream, can get from GNC. Nature Farm may have it too. I personally prefer cream as it's easier to spread and less messy than oil.:)

jiyou2003
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by jiyou2003 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:04 pm

Hi poppygreen,
TQ very much for your prompt reply. My DS is complaining the itch, even after 1 oatmeal bath and 1 neem leaves bath today. Rush to Guardin this morning to get Vit E cream.

poppyqueen
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by poppyqueen » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:19 pm

Hi jiyou,

No worries. :smile:

Eh, vit E cream may not help that much with the itching.. it's more of scar repair and prevention.

If a single ingredient is too "light" , you can be a bit more kiasu and try a mixture in the bath ..eg oatmeal + a bit of baking soda+ apple cider vinegar. The muslim bag with the oatmeal can be placed longer in the water until it turns more cloudy.

Is his outbreak a lot? Try distracting him with his favourite tv show/movie /toy so that he doesn't focus that much on the itching and don't scratch that much and hurt his skin.

jiyou2003
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by jiyou2003 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:42 pm

Thanks poppyqueen,
his outbreak is quite a lot, but small. After so many days, it start to dry. SInce ysterday, he has better appetite.
It was a week already, can he eat bread now?
Any ideal can he eat oreo biscuit? What kind of snack?

poppyqueen
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by poppyqueen » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:35 pm

That's good to hear it's drying up. :rahrah:

Bread is fine. Oreo biscuits would also be ok, though i would try to put it on hold for another week as it's pretty "heaty".

Snacks to recommend ah..fruit salad like oranges, apples, kiwis and blackcurrent, yogurt. Good dosage of vitamins and minerals.

However, most snacks should be safe for eating as long at this moment as it doesn't contain chicken or seafood or eggs. These food should be refrained for 100 days .

jiyou2003
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by jiyou2003 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:06 pm

Hi poppy queen,
DS is back to school today. For the few days he complain hungry.

colors
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by colors » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:10 pm

Hi Poppy queen,

thanks for the remedies works you mentions eariler.
it works well for my ds.
he prefer the oat than the vinegar, which i personally think oat work better.
after the bath i apply some powder for him and he sleep well and the itch is not there through the night.

thanks alot

littlesnake2013
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by littlesnake2013 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:03 pm

Hi all,

My 1y+ son have went for his 1st dose chickenpox vaccination in may and supposed to go for his 2nd dose tis mth. But my hubby juz got chickenpox. Shd I faster bring my son for his 2nd dose vaccination? Or do I need to wait till my hubby recover den bring my son for vaccination? I reli dun hope my hubby spread the virus to us especially my son as he is still so young :(