Kidney stone

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Kidney stone

Postby Mushroom hut » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:09 pm

Hi,

Has anyone did the shock wave for kidney stone? With the stent inserted for a week, how is the discomfort level? Am considering if I should let my dad go for it. Thanks.

Mushroom hut
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Kidney stone

Postby catddy2002 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:32 am

Hi,

My chinese doctor ever told me that chinese medicine can clear kidney stone without operation. He mentioned just need to take the medicine for a short period, it will make the stone smaller and eventually clear off from our body as waste. If you believe in chinese medicine, suggest you give it a try.

catddy2002
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby happyheart » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:50 am

My hubby went through shockwave op to remove his stones early this year. He does not feel much discomfort during the procedure and he is fine after 3 days' MC.
Just to share, my cousin's husband had an emergency surgey last month because his kidney stones burst inside his body without warning, which caused a lot of pain. My personal take is to get rid of the stones asap while you can. Shock wave surgery is generally safe but of course, given your dad's age, it will be best to consult the doctor first.

happyheart
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Mushroom hut » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:15 am

Hi, thanks for sharing.

Happyheart, I read that the shock wave itself is ok. It is the stent that causes a lot of pain even with painkillers. Did your hb had to insert the stent before the shock wave? Doc said some fragmented stones may get stuck in his urinary tract after shock wave and this will be very painful for my dad. So he suggested to have the stent right before the suockwave so the stent can direct all broken stones out successfully. Thanks.

Mushroom hut
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:51 pm

I had extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL) done before, not once, but twice.

The first time I went without any local anesthetic, because I drove to the hospital and so I didn't want pethidine (same drug they give to women in labour!) as it would affect my ability to drive. The doctor claimed that it wasn't painful. Well... it wasn't, until they started increasing the intensity. Let's put it this way. It feels exactly like someone holding a rubber band on your back and pulling and letting go to let the rubber band hit you. If the strength used is light, of course it is not painful. If it is strong... you bet it will be painful! Now, multiply that with the number of hits per second. You get the picture. By the end of the first 15 minutes, I was wishing that I was dead.

The operator took pride in showing me the ultra-sound monitor that she was using to direct the blasting. It has a cross-hair which she used to aim at the "dark mass" and she was cheerily commenting how the dark mass was becoming more faint because the stone was breaking up. It was like an arcade game, except that my kidney was used as the arena. I certainly wasn't in any mood to cheer her on defeating the big bad boss.

The 2nd time, I wised up and took a cab to the hospital instead. I gladly accepted the offer of pethidine as would a woman in labour (no, I wasn't afraid of my stones having a hangover when I give "birth" to them). Unfortunately, even with the pethidine, I could still feel every hit. It did nothing to lessen the pain... it just made me feel drunk and high. So I'm not sure if the experience was any different, with or without the local.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Jennifer » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:57 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:I had extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL) done before, not once, but twice.

The first time I went without any local anesthetic, because I drove to the hospital and so I didn't want pethidine (same drug they give to women in labour!) as it would affect my ability to drive. The doctor claimed that it wasn't painful. Well... it wasn't, until they started increasing the intensity. Let's put it this way. It feels exactly like someone holding a rubber band on your back and pulling and letting go to let the rubber band hit you. If the strength used is light, of course it is not painful. If it is strong... you bet it will be painful! Now, multiply that with the number of hits per second. You get the picture. By the end of the first 15 minutes, I was wishing that I was dead.

The operator took pride in showing me the ultra-sound monitor that she was using to direct the blasting. It has a cross-hair which she used to aim at the "dark mass" and she was cheerily commenting how the dark mass was becoming more faint because the stone was breaking up. It was like an arcade game, except that my kidney was used as the arena. I certainly wasn't in any mood to cheer her on defeating the big bad boss.

The 2nd time, I wised up and took a cab to the hospital instead. I gladly accepted the offer of pethidine as would a woman in labour (no, I wasn't afraid of my stones having a hangover when I give "birth" to them). Unfortunately, even with the pethidine, I could still feel every hit. It did nothing to lessen the pain... it just made me feel drunk and high. So I'm not sure if the experience was any different, with or without the local.

:salute:

The way you wrote the above. Arcade game :udaman:

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:07 pm

Jennifer wrote: :salute:

Lol. It's only funny when it's over :wink: . I just wanted to point out that my experience with the procedure was that it was painful, even with LA. Or maybe it is just the sadist of the doctor that I had, since other patients seem to have good experiences so far... :scratchhead:

Come to think of it... actually the screen reminds me more of the Desert Storm pictures that the allies showed on TV. Black and white picture. Cross hair on a building, and suddenly a flash and a puff of smoke... and no more building.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby chrisloh » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:44 pm

You can claim that you have experienced "giving birth" like a woman NOT one but twice! Aiya, just 15 mins, woman endures longer than that. :wink:

ChiefKiasu wrote:
Jennifer wrote: :salute:

Lol. It's only funny when it's over :wink: . I just wanted to point out that my experience with the procedure was that it was painful, even with LA. Or maybe it is just the sadist of the doctor that I had, since other patients seem to have good experiences so far... :scratchhead:

Come to think of it... actually the screen reminds me more of the Desert Storm pictures that the allies showed on TV. Black and white picture. Cross hair on a building, and suddenly a flash and a puff of smoke... and no more building.

chrisloh
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby buds » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:29 pm

Chiefy, you make shock wave sound shiok. :rotflmao:
I thought it was termed as blasting or mebbe that's a different treatment? :scratchhead:

It has been told that the pain of having a kidney stone is second to child birth. So, yah.. technically you had two "births" with accelerated labour some sort.

I didn't take any epidural at all. Didn't dare. :scared:

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:45 pm

chrisloh wrote:You can claim that you have experienced "giving birth" like a woman NOT one but twice! Aiya, just 15 mins, woman endures longer than that. :wink:

Excuse me. It was 30 minutes. I counted every second of that 30 minutes. Time never passed more slowly for me. The hits started at a rate of once per 2 seconds, accelerating to 3 or 4 per second. Use a rubber band to hit yourself in your tender parts 3 or 4 times per second and see if you can endure half an hour of that. :sweat: . Some more in the first session the operator added another 5 minutes "just to be sure"... :faint:

Having had like 5 root canals and 3 implants without so much as flinching, I would rate my pain tolerance to be quite high. But this ESWL thingy takes my cake.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Next

Return to Health