Frequent bad dreams

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Frequent bad dreams

Postby Awonder » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:56 pm

Hi, my dd who is 9 yrs old often have bad dreams. She would feel very sad and cry when she wake up after a bad dreams. I do not know what to do & can only pacifier her and calm her down. I'm not sure if anyone hv similar experience as my dd but I deem it not healthy thus prompted me to raise up this issue here and hope anybody here could share some thoughts. TIA

Awonder
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Frequent bad dreams

Postby JJ1111 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:04 pm

Hi Awonder, just think aloud, did u talk to your dd whether she has any bad experience or any thing that make her scare. Maybe like get threaten by classmate or teacher etc? Or did she read or watch any scary story book / movies? My son always get nightmare after he read scary / ghost story book.

JJ1111
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby cherrygal » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:34 pm

If you see / hear your kid having a nightmare in the middle of the night, just switch on the lights and try to wake the kid up. Don't wait for them to wake on their own. Cut the bad dream short. DS had nightmares a couple of times after reading Mr Midnight stories. So he stopped reading those.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jjxy mum » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:11 pm

I think it may help if u could sleep with her for sometimes.

jjxy mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Awonder » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:17 am

Yes, my dd did have a soft heart and she can't handle too violent or horror movies, she would cry very easily, very emotional. That I am very sure so I always ensure she would not get to see those movies. She is an avid reader but that never occur to me if it play a part on her bad dreams. She read mostly Enid Blyton, Famous Five, Secret Seven and some general novels but not those horror titles.

She tends to imagine lots of things and would not doze off immediately thus start imagine thing again. I'm not sure if that's the cause. Normally, when we dream, we tends to forget when wake up but she don't. She can remember most of her bad dreams, thus I will try to distract her by letting her hv her favourite snack or watching a funny show, etc.

Will still observe her closely and may have to pay more attention to what she is reading now, hopefully can determine the cause. Thank you dear mummies for sharing and advice.

Awonder
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Health