Not drink water and often fever

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Not drink water and often fever

Postby Peach 11 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:54 pm

Hi. My gal is 2yrs + but she doesn't want to drink water . Only drink milk. Recently she got fever quite often . Anybody face same problem.any advice how to let her drink more water and prevent fever .
She also not like to eat porridge. Just refuse to eat. Call for milk during lunch and dinner.she prefer noodle.
Doctor said only milk not enough for her age. Need to hv solid food. Can suggestions

Peach 11
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Not drink water and often fever

Postby cherrygal » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:16 pm

-
Last edited by cherrygal on Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:22 pm

If she likes noodles, start with noodles. You can also give her rice as not all kids like porridge. My kids were eating rice by 1yo and they never liked porridge. At 2yo, she can eat normal table foods. Don't give her purees as she is already so old. Start her with softer foods (egg, tofu) if she can't chew well yet. If you keep her from normal food longer, she is likely to be even more resistant to solids as she gets older and her habits are more established. If you want her to eat solids, then you must harden your heart and not give her milk even if she refuses to eat. When she is hungry enough, she will eat. Don't try to fight her or force her to eat; just take away the food and let her wait until the next meal. And DON'T give her milk if she won't eat a meal. No kid will starve herself and missing a meal or 2 won't cause any harm. You can still give her milk at other times - after breakfast, bedtime etc. Don't give milk just before a meal or she will be too full to eat.

As for drinking water, you can try putting a little juice (10%) into the water to sweeten it until she gets used to drinking it. Then over time, you can reduce the amount of juice gradually until she is used to plain water.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cherrygal » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:41 pm

-
Last edited by cherrygal on Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:14 am

Sensory issues are a separate thing; I'm assuming the child is within the normal range of sensitivity.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Peach 11 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:08 am

slmkhoo wrote:If she likes noodles, start with noodles. You can also give her rice as not all kids like porridge. My kids were eating rice by 1yo and they never liked porridge. At 2yo, she can eat normal table foods. Don't give her purees as she is already so old. Start her with softer foods (egg, tofu) if she can't chew well yet. If you keep her from normal food longer, she is likely to be even more resistant to solids as she gets older and her habits are more established. If you want her to eat solids, then you must harden your heart and not give her milk even if she refuses to eat. When she is hungry enough, she will eat. Don't try to fight her or force her to eat; just take away the food and let her wait until the next meal. And DON'T give her milk if she won't eat a meal. No kid will starve herself and missing a meal or 2 won't cause any harm. You can still give her milk at other times - after breakfast, bedtime etc. Don't give milk just before a meal or she will be too full to eat.

As for drinking water, you can try putting a little juice (10%) into the water to sweeten it until she gets used to drinking it. Then over time, you can reduce the amount of juice gradually until she is used to plain water.

Thanks a lot for sharing. I will try add juice with water. I remember I buy bottle juice, she drink but not much. BTW, any idea what kind of meal to make for those really fussy and choosy like my DD.

Peach 11
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:51 am

Peach 11 wrote:BTW, any idea what kind of meal to make for those really fussy and choosy like my DD.

I am a hardliner with meals - my kids can either choose to eat or choose to go hungry. They have eaten table foods since 1yo, and although I do know they have preferences, I don't specially avoid anything just because they don't like it. I cook mainly one-dish meals so they don't get a choice. Most of the books on child-rearing say that hunger will make any food taste good to a child, and I've found it to be true. So don't worry too much, just cook what you want to eat (within reason - eg. not too spicy), and your child will learn to eat it too.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:01 am

my son hated drinking water when he was younger and would always get throat infection...the fever will shoot up. to get him to drink water then, i put a drop of Ribena to make it smell and taste better.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Coolkidsrock2 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:36 pm

I give gripe water for my kids during that age.

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:22 am

Peach 11 wrote: Doctor said only milk not enough for her age. Need to hv solid food.

Solid food is also important for good speech development. The chewing action helps to develop the muscles for clear enunciation.

My kids take food with texture very early on, I have never done the very smooth purée for them. The closest was probably freshly grinded fruits that still had some lumps in them. The few occasions when I had to buy jarred baby food for emergency, they rejected them.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Health