Supplement for cough?

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Supplement for cough?

Postby meeyah » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:34 pm

My kiddo has prolong cough that last for months already. Wondering if any supplement can help cure the cough completely. I do not wish to continue the Western medicine for too long. :?:

meeyah
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mummy of 2 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:40 pm

Hi meeyah

I do not know if it this will work for your kid. DS1 used to have cough frequently, at least once a month. Even since he started SmartFish by Nature's Farm, he has not coughed for a few months. Even when he got a cough recently, he recovered much faster than usual and the cough is less severe.

mummy of 2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Eagle-Ladybird » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:42 pm

My kids are coughing too, but otherwise normal as ever. So I think it's the haze that we're getting recently

Eagle-Ladybird
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby meeyah » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:47 pm

Hi Eagle-Ladybird. Same same... I think mine is because of going to the childcare. Understand that the tendency to get sick easily and frequently...

Eagle-Ladybird wrote:My kids are coughing too, but otherwise normal as ever. So I think it's the haze that we're getting recently
Last edited by meeyah on Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meeyah
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby meeyah » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:13 pm

Another problem I have about coughing. My gal does not know how to spit the phglem out. So she would cough so hard until she vomits everything out and then the phglem would clear and she gets better. Few days later the phglem would accumulates again and she starts to cough badly. So I think the crux is how to get rid of the phglem entirely...

meeyah
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby schellen » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:24 pm

meeyah wrote:Another problem I have about coughing. My gal does not know how to spit the phglem out. So she would cough so hard until she vomits everything out and then the phglem would clear and she gets better. Few days later the phglem would accumulates again and she starts to cough badly. So I think the crux is how to get rid of the phglem entirely...

For a start, avoid dairy products, citrus fruits and juices, chilled drinks, candies and chocolates. These encourage the accumulation of phlegm. This includes supplements that are flavoured with citrus and those that are so sweet, they can be easily mistaken for candies.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby meeyah » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:41 pm

schellen wrote: For a start, avoid dairy products, citrus fruits and juices, chilled drinks, candies and chocolates. These encourage the accumulation of phlegm. This includes supplements that are flavoured with citrus and those that are so sweet, they can be easily mistaken for candies.

schellen, dairy products does it mean milk, cheese, egg, etc? These food are her regular source of nutrients.. What other nutritious food to replace these diary products? Then as for supplements, I gave her sambucol, delrosa vit C, gummy fish and they are covered with sugar. She doesn't like the white cod liver oil. If I don't give her these as well, she is practically with no supplements to help her get well fast. In a dilemma..after reading your feedback.

meeyah
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby schellen » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:56 pm

meeyah wrote:schellen, dairy products does it mean milk, cheese, egg, etc? These food are her regular source of nutrients.. What other nutritious food to replace these diary products? Then as for supplements, I gave her sambucol, delrosa vit C, gummy fish and they are covered with sugar. She doesn't like the white cod liver oil. If I don't give her these as well, she is practically with no supplements to help her get well fast. In a dilemma..after reading your feedback.

Yes, that is what I meant by dairy products (except for eggs, which is not a dairy product, by the way). I don't totally restrict my DD from taking these on a daily basis, only when she has a cough or phlegm or a runny nose. When she recovers, she takes them again. Since we started doing this, she recovers so much faster. If she shows signs of an oncoming cough or cold, we stop these and if we're lucky, she won't get the cough or cold at all.

You can always give her soy milk meanwhile, but warm it up first.

DD takes DHA, veg and fruit gummies, honey and cod liver oil daily. DHA is either in those "burst-in-mouth" capsules meant for kids or in softgels. The veg and fruit gummies aren't that sweet so it's okay. (The sweeter such supplements are, the higher their sugar content, even if it is natural sugar, and this may cause more phlegm to build up.)

The original cod liver oil in liquid form is yucky, I agree, and I don't know why they never bothered to make it more palatable all these years. DD and DH and I hate the orange-flavoured one because it is sooooo sweet! It makes no sense to make it so sweet and orange-flavoured some more. (Remember? The older generation will always tell you not to eat/eat too many oranges, especially if you are prone to coughs? They are right in this case.) So DH found cod liver oil gel capsules for DD. They are also by Scott's and come in 2 bottle sizes. I think you can find them at pharmacies like Unity but it may be cheaper to get them from Chinese medical halls/pharmacies. DD started swallowing pills and capsules about 5+ yo so getting her to take this is so easy now. (By the way, she's 7 now.)

As for honey, my mom will buy them in individual dosage "sticks" (not the "straw-like" flavoured kinds you see being sold locally) when she visits Australia. Then, she will pass part of her purchase to us. In this way, it is easy to get DD to take her supplements daily, without ever having to use a spoon.

Now, DD is hardly sick (*touch wood*) and for any minor cough or runny nose, she recovers very quickly without having to take any medicine.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schellen » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:00 pm

Yes, even at 7, my DD also does not know how to spit phlegm out, even after multiple demos by DH and me. Luckily, she knows how to blow her nose.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Supplement for cough?

Postby thebusybee » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:01 pm

meeyah wrote:My kiddo has prolong cough that last for months already. Wondering if any supplement can help cure the cough completely. I do not wish to continue the Western medicine for too long. :?:

TCM might help to solve the cough/phlegm problem, followed by Schellen's advice on controlling the food intake.

My 2YO has been coughing/nose running for months, no cure coz he din want to eat the Western medicince, i fed Chinese med from Eu Yang Sheng - no improvement, because we bad parents not controlling his food - gave french fries, cold drinks etc...

Brought him to see Dr at Polyclinic few days ago, the doc said he has bronchitis and wheezing sound when breathing. He strongly advice 'no chilled food/drink - must be out of fridge 45min before consuming, no air-con room unless 26 degree'. Given a few med, this time round he 'LOVES' to drink them, except the one helps to dissolve phlegm. :frustrated:

(don't judge me here :oops: , already did my part to tell the whole family to cooperate)

*Is birdnest a good supplement for cough? Or must wait till phlegm clear?

thebusybee
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Health