Child with scoliosis

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Child with scoliosis

Postby softwhisper » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:06 am

Hi
Just confirmed that my 9 yr old has scoliosis abt 17 deg. My husband and I are quite worried.

My husband's boss recommeded a phyio clinic to him called Kinesis, which he said run a good scoliosis correction program.

Want to find out if anyone's child has scoliosis, what's the treatment and also anyone been to Kinesis?

My husband has deicde to bring my child there as they do offer free screening.

In the meantime, if anyone has any useful info on this area, pls let me know.

Many thanks in advance

softwhisper
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby MLR » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:34 pm

Hiya, me has the condition. Don't remember how many degrees, but definately can see that my spine is curve when in swimwear. Had to go for 6monthly screening during my pri and lower sec days in the then Institute of Health at Outram (now shuld be Health Promotion Board). But due to no further deterioration throughout the years of puberty, no further action taken. Remembered one of my classmate had to wear a brace from primary 5 to sec 4.

I was encouraged to swim to strengthen back muscles without straining the spine. When I was older, I attended back school in NUH to learn how to take care of spine/back to prevent injuries.

It would be good to seek 2nd opinion since there are better options and awareness than 20 plus years ago.

Don't worry yourselves and thus stressing your child. Also at age 9, theres lots of room for treatment or alternatives available till fully grown age of 16-18.

Take care.....

MLR
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Health