How do you get your DD/DS to eat their medicine

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

How do you get your DD/DS to eat their medicine

Postby NigelTKM » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:05 pm

As the topic stated, how do you generally get your DD/DS to take their medicine, especially pills when they don't like it?

Or even supplements, some supplements are not crushable nor do they come in solution form I believe?

NigelTKM
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: How do you get your DD/DS to eat their medicine

Postby SAHM_TAN » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:35 pm

For bitter meds, a sweet after the Meds will smooth the way.

My kids are not old enough yet for doc to prescribe pills. I find that the pill will go down quicker when I place it in the middle of my tongue followed by water.

For pills another method that my mother did when I was younger was to crush them into powder form and mixing it with some water then I drank it followed by a sweet.

For the gel pill, the pill can be taken apart and the powder poured in the big Chinese spoon and mix with some water and drink it.

For my kids, they usually take TCM and they are pretty ok with the chi Meds taste. On occasion when it's too bitter, sweets or preserved fruits will help them get over it.

Supplements, they take the chewable kind.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby NigelTKM » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:01 pm

Thank you SAHM_TAN for the reply! Seems like the key is a sweet to follow after :smile:

I remember my mother used the same method of crushing the pill and mix with water, though I spat it out shortly after. The panadol back then taste pretty horrible I feel. Might be thinking too much though.

NigelTKM
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby nansk » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:04 pm

As far as possible, I get dd's meds in syrup form.
And I buy only chewable supplements for her.

Very rarely, when the medicine is bitter (such as antibiotics), I give it with a spoonful of honey, with a little bit of juice to drink afterwards to cover the bitter aftertaste.

nansk
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby hmsg » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:10 pm

Mixed it with some nice fruit juice?

hmsg
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:25 pm

How old are your kids? I think most pediatric medicines and supplements come in palatable forms. I just avoided any that didn't! I used to give my kids raisins or other dried fruits as the 'sweet' after the medicine as it didn't seem healthy to give sweets to an already-sick kid 3 times a day.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Health