Removal of Skin Tags

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Removal of Skin Tags

Postby mjl » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:49 am

My daughter has a skin tag below her chin. Anyone has any advice of how it can be removed painlessly? Does the private GP or polyclinic GP remove it? Or is there any kind of cream that can remove it?

Thanks.

mjl
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby schellen » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:05 am

Hi! This is what I found on the treatment of skin tags on Wiki:
Since tags are benign, treatment is unnecessary unless the tags become frequently irritated or present a cosmetic concern. If removal is desired or warranted, a dermatologist or similarly trained professional may use cauterization, cryosurgery, surgical ligation or excision to remove the acrochorda. Since removal of skin tags may be considered cosmetic surgery, the procedure may not be covered by medical insurance or health maintenance organizations.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrochordon

Acrochordon is the medical term for it.

Based on this, I don't think creams will work. I've personally noticed that my DH has 1 or 2 but there are in more obscure places like his underarm and behind his ear so they don't bother him at all.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cmm » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:32 am

I used to have these near the base of my neck.

What I did was to rub it several times a day, gently at first (it may hurt a little), increasing the strength over time. By and by, the skin tag will shrivel up and turn dark in color. It will drop off painlessly without a trace. :wink:

Hope this helps. 8)

cmm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Full.Cream » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:52 am

Have a few of these and until today, didn't know what they are called!!

D

Full.Cream
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mjl » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:03 am

Thanks to schellen and cmm for your advice. I don't think it could be removed by rubbing .. it's not one that is hanging from the skin.

The skin tag looks something like the above, but it's below her chin. It may have appeared after she bruised her chin, or it was a huge pimple previously squeezed out (can't remember ... ).

My DH and I would not bother if it was on our face, but it looks a bit unsightly on my daughter's (Sec 3) clean & smooth face.[/img]

mjl
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby ZacK » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:44 pm

mjl wrote:Thanks to schellen and cmm for your advice. I don't think it could be removed by rubbing .. it's not one that is hanging from the skin.

The skin tag looks something like the above, but it's below her chin. It may have appeared after she bruised her chin, or it was a huge pimple previously squeezed out (can't remember ... ).

My DH and I would not bother if it was on our face, but it looks a bit unsightly on my daughter's (Sec 3) clean & smooth face.[/img]

1. Go to polyclinic get a referral to go to national skin centre so that you will enjoy subsidised rates.
2. I had skin tags on my neck... for no reason but think it could be partly due to gaining weight "exponentially" w/i a short span of time.
3. Anyway got a referral to go to skin centre, gel will be applied to the affected area to numb the skin, then the doc will burn the tags off...
4. If the tags are too big, I understand they may choose excision instead... 5. I had burnt marks at a few areas around my neck, had to tend to the burnt scars with saline (or salt solution) and cream.
6. If I recall correctly, the burnt scars went away after 1-2 weeks :wink:

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby EN » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:15 am

I have it too. Went to the company doctor for gastric pills but the doctor instead ask for my permission to burn off the tag on my face. Don't think it is due to sudden weight change. I have them before marriage and I was super skinny then. :P

But what I notice is that my father has them, so is my sister. Hers is a lot more plus the "thousand" of freckles on her face.

Same procedure as Zack. The doctor burnt it using liquid nitrogen solution (that was what I was told) which is below 0 degree celcius. Not painful and the scar goes off.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mjl » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:02 am

Thanks EN and ZacK. :D

Since the private clinic GP can handle it, probably I will just bring her to the GP instead of going to polylinic and then wait for referral to National skin centre.

mjl
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby schellen » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:15 pm

EN wrote:The doctor burnt it using liquid nitrogen solution (that was what I was told) which is below 0 degree celcius. Not painful and the scar goes off.

I think that is the cryosurgery wikipedia mentioned. (I was actually wondering how that was done.)

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ZacK » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:14 pm

schellen wrote:
EN wrote:The doctor burnt it using liquid nitrogen solution (that was what I was told) which is below 0 degree celcius. Not painful and the scar goes off.

I think that is the cryosurgery wikipedia mentioned. (I was actually wondering how that was done.)

Hi Schellen... I think you can liken cryosurgery to having a very severe frost bite... Basically it destroys the live tissue and in the case of skin tags, the dead skin tissue will drop off.

"Deep Frostbite- This is the most serious stage of frostbite. In this stage, blood vessels, muscles, tendons, nerves and bone may be frozen. This stage can lead to permanent damage, blood clots and gangrene, in severe cases. No feeling is experienced in the affected area and there is usually no blistering. Serious infection and loss of limbs frequently occurs after frostbite reaches this stage. However, even with deep frostbite, some frozen limbs may be saved if medical attention is obtained as soon as possible. "

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Health