Baby with frequent fevers

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Baby with frequent fevers

Postby kylene » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:31 pm

Hi,

My baby has been having frequent fevers (weekly to fortnightly ) since she was 6 month old. She is now 1 year old. I've brought her to many paediatricians and was admitted to Hospital once for investigations but no diagnosis was found.

Often the fever are not accompanied by cough/flu, vomiting or diarrhoea . No idea where the infection is from. Anyone has similar experience ? Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

kylene
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Baby with frequent fevers

Postby icy_mama » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:11 pm

hi kylene

just to share my similar experience...

since young, my dd will have fevers that isn't accompanied by cough/flu, vomitting or diarrhoea. so do i. sometimes fever could be as high as 38-39degree celsius. although not as frequent as your baby. my dd is 12yrs old this year. for the whole of this year she had this symptomless fever only once, and i had it twice.

her paediatrician told us that fevers are our body's way of reacting to an infection. should no other symptoms follow, that could meant that the body has successfully "won" this small battle against whatever bug is bugging the body.

when this symptomless fever hits, we'll be sleeping and sleeping till the fever subsides. so it'd just be sleep, wake for panadol and more sleep again. usually not more than 2 nights.

sorry i have no answer to this... just wanna let you know that you're not alone. :hugs:

icy_mama
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby nhps2012 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:29 pm

nhps2012
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby kylene » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:50 pm

icy_mama wrote:hi kylene

just to share my similar experience...

since young, my dd will have fevers that isn't accompanied by cough/flu, vomitting or diarrhoea. so do i. sometimes fever could be as high as 38-39degree celsius. although not as frequent as your baby. my dd is 12yrs old this year. for the whole of this year she had this symptomless fever only once, and i had it twice.

her paediatrician told us that fevers are our body's way of reacting to an infection. should no other symptoms follow, that could meant that the body has successfully "won" this small battle against whatever bug is bugging the body.

when this symptomless fever hits, we'll be sleeping and sleeping till the fever subsides. so it'd just be sleep, wake for panadol and more sleep again. usually not more than 2 nights.

sorry i have no answer to this... just wanna let you know that you're not alone. :hugs:

Hi Icy mama,

Thanks your taking time to reply!

Initially the paediatricians also told us something similar, that fevers are the body's way of fighting off bugs. However, her fever became so frequent that 1 of them suggested hospitalization to observe the fevers and investigations.
But they were still unable to find the cause of her frequent fevers.

Just this month alone, she had 4 episodes of fever, no other symptoms, reaching a max temp 39.6 . The frequency is making me very worried . And each time during the fever episode , she doesn't eat well. However, she is very well in between the fever episodes and I'm wondering if she could be part of a "normal" spectrum .

Thank you for sharing your experience with me. Really appreciate that

kylene
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby kylene » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:52 pm

nhps2012 wrote:http://yuguochinesephysician.blogspot.sg/2007/05/blog-post.html

You may want to seek help here.

Hi nhps2012,

Do you have any experience with them? Thanks

kylene
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby nhps2012 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:16 pm

kylene wrote:
nhps2012 wrote:http://yuguochinesephysician.blogspot.sg/2007/05/blog-post.html

You may want to seek help here.

Hi nhps2012,

Do you have any experience with them? Thanks

Yes.

Please remember to call to check if they are open. They usually close during festive seasons to make it long weekend for their staff to take a break. Not an easy job though. You can take a look at the videos and see the difference (they really age alot).

nhps2012
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby nhps2012 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:28 pm

nhps2012
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby jetsetter » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:21 am

kylene wrote:Hi,

My baby has been having frequent fevers (weekly to fortnightly ) since she was 6 month old. She is now 1 year old. I've brought her to many paediatricians and was admitted to Hospital once for investigations but no diagnosis was found.

Often the fever are not accompanied by cough/flu, vomiting or diarrhoea . No idea where the infection is from. Anyone has similar experience ? Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

This is very common. Mine was average once per mth though. This is cos from birth till 18mth they must take several immunisation jabs. Every time a jab is taken, the baby will go thru a bout of fever which typically lasts for 5 days.

It is exacerbated by the exposure to sick children in PD clinics, or virus in infantcare or playgroups.

You can let bb take Sambucol when child is above 2yrs old. This is to help build child's resistance.
http://www.sambucolusa.com/store/kids-l ... tract.html

Hv u been feeding Ling Yang to child? U can buy from TCM hall, brew a prepacked portion and add 1 tablespoon into 1 bottle formula milk and let bb drink. That's assuming bb's natural body constitution is "heaty". Not suitable if bb's hands and legs are perpetually cold, which mean bb is "liang".

Some told me formula milk is heaty also. Did u investigate the brand of FM?

If bb sleeping in aircon room? DO NOT sleep in aircon room when hving fever.

If really too frequent, seek divine intervention.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kylene » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:44 pm

Hi Jetsetter,

I think once a month is still acceptable to me. But more often is really worrying . But what is more worrying is also that the fevers all often without any other symptoms .

She's not on any FM. Breasfeeding and solids.

Thank you for your advice

kylene
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jetsetter » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:46 pm

ok, maybe just revisit your own diet, how sterile are your milk bottles/teats, how u store your BM, etc...u can get more advice in Singaporemotherhood.com forum :)

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Health