Are babies really prone to sickness?

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Are babies really prone to sickness?

Postby KopiYing » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:37 pm

From birth till current, my son has experienced running nose, cough, fever, HFMD, sore eyes, saliva glands infection. He's not in infant care at all and seldom go to crowded places. He has his various vaccines done.

My friends' babies are also sick quite often, some even gotta admit hospital immediately.

Why is this so?

KopiYing
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:51 pm

Just curious, did you breastfeed? Cos my cousins who did not breastfeed or breastfed for only 1 mth had kids who feel sick very easily & it's always serious (need to go hospital).

My boy was in CC since 18mths, went to crowded places at least once a week (church & lunch after that).
He does not fall sick easily. He was breastfed for 12mths & given EBM for 6mths. When he turned 18mths, I started on some supplements for him.

So far his only major illnesses were chicken pox & HFMD. But both healed within a week & he was not in any discomfort at all. Still can carry on playing & eating & being naughty!

Occasional cough/flu tt would go away on its own within a few days without medication.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby TTLauPeh » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:33 pm

You may want to take him to this kiddie massage cum TCM place near Kembangan MRT called Yu Guo. They're very good at treating kids. First took my son there when he was 9 months old. Had been sick (phlegm, cough, etc) for 3 weeks and Western medicine didn't help. They did massage and put him on TCM medicine (surprisingly, he liked it) for 3 days. End of 1st day, he passed out the phlegm/mucus, less on 2nd day, and his lungs were clear on the 3rd. Kids also need sunlight (for Vitamin D) so make sure he's not indoors most of the time.

TTLauPeh
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby daisyt » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:51 pm

Yes, when my dd was baby time, always sick. Vomit for no reason, fever, cough, flu, asthma. No child care and no went crowded area. Somehow, when she was about 7yo, she seldom ill from then. And i find that, babies always like to have fever at night. Day time, everything is normal :idea:

We were very particular on her food intake. Brough home cooked porridge till she was 2yo. Never had cold or carbonated drinks till she was about 9yo. I think its a cycle they have to go through. Always added guo ji zi (good for eyesight) and carrots in the porridge since young but still, she started wearing specs at 8yo.

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby surfermom » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:57 pm

I can only share abt my 22mths boy from my experience...since birth till today, he's fallen sick 3x of which the 1st x, we brought him to doc cos man cheong. It was a typical flu n I realised it was due to prolonged "swimming" during holiday. 2nd and 3rd x I fed him brufen and baby panadol and treated his symtoms with STD medication. All 3 flu recovered within 3days. I've been breastfeeding him from birth till today.

In terms of exposure, my baby has been at the beach with me since confinement. It's cos I've to go back to work-own business. Of cos I've a full set of baby logistics in my shop. Due to the nature of my biz, my baby meets all kinds of pple-from Aficans, Russians, Indo, Aus...we go outdoors alot-running, cycling etc n he crawls in the sand, grass for tactile training. My frens often bring kids down to play with him but he doesn't go CC. He does attend Sunday Sch every Sunday morning.

I tend to believe non-conventional upbringing style but I don't mean irresponsibly or ridiculous actions. I believe in outdoors, bringing baby overseas, growing up with pets (we hv a big Golden Retriever) & definitely, breastfeeding. I do hv frens who BF for substantial amt of time but kids get sick regularly and even get fits etc. So some say there might be different quality of breast milk too? Perhaps the mother's health? This is of cos not in BF manuals but just suspicions. I am not overly fastidious abt hygiene-clean but I allow him to get dirty, play with dog etc without cleaning every minute.

Certainly, I think the baby shd be in a heightened environment of being loved, relaxed and Happy! We r thus setting baby up for optimal health & happiness.

surfermom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Are babies really prone to sickness?

Postby Full.Cream » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:50 am

KopiYing wrote:From birth till current, my son has experienced running nose, cough, fever, HFMD, sore eyes, saliva glands infection. He's not in infant care at all and seldom go to crowded places. He has his various vaccines done.

My friends' babies are also sick quite often, some even gotta admit hospital immediately.

Why is this so?

Do u live near an industrial area such as Woodlands, Jurong or near heavy traffic? Some people are just more sensitive to pollutants.

Also, sometimes such symptoms just keeps recurring. Like my bro was OK until 1 day we brought home a couple of white mice and then from there he had sensitive nose all the way into adulthood.

for myself, I did not have eye stye for decades until the time I was based in Tuas Chkpt for a few mths and sicne then I had stye every 1~2 yrs!!

Full.Cream
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:06 am

surfermom wrote:I believe in outdoors, bringing baby overseas, growing up with pets (we hv a big Golden Retriever) & definitely, breastfeeding. I do hv frens who BF for substantial amt of time but kids get sick regularly and even get fits etc. So some say there might be different quality of breast milk too? Perhaps the mother's health? This is of cos not in BF manuals but just suspicions. I am not overly fastidious abt hygiene-clean but I allow him to get dirty, play with dog etc without cleaning every minute.

My boy is exposed to 'dirt' on daily basis (we also have a dog & bring him out often), but he naturally developed a love for hygiene. He will wipe himself clean with a wet tissue & will ask us to bath him immediately after his outdoor adventures.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:03 pm

Does he come into contact with cousins or siblings who are in preschool or childcare? What about the yourself and your DH and anyone who handles the baby, do you fall sick often?

DD did not fall sick at all the 1st year of her life. Not even any sniffles. Promptly on her 1st birthday she had fever. But thereafter, no illness. But when she started childcare at 2yrs old she was sick almost every month for close to 6mths.

DS on the other hand, kept falling sick the 1st yr of his life. He is asthmatic. Need to be nebalised almost on a mthly basis. Conversely, when he started childcare, he did not fall sick at all.

DD was breastfed till 4mths and DS 6mths. My sis breastfed her son till he was past 1 yr old but he was constantly falling sick too.

Breastfeeding does help but some kids simply have a lower immune system.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby surfermom » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:04 pm

My boy is exposed to 'dirt' on daily basis (we also have a dog & bring him out often), but he naturally developed a love for hygiene. He will wipe himself clean with a wet tissue & will ask us to bath him immediately after his outdoor adventures.

I agree 100%! My boy too will automatically sweep his hands off sand or asks to clean the sand off his face, for sure, afterwards, will have a bath. I personally feel the best classroom is the big world out there-nature (with all the necessary precautions of cos).

surfermom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby maisy » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:08 pm

hihi surfermom
we meet again :)
i like your unconventional way of upbringing u hv for your son ... i guess it shouldn't come as a surprise since u love the outdoor so much :)

I used to be very outdoor when younger but as i age, i tend to prefer the indoors (lazy perhaps) but that said, i m all for outdoor exposure for my son...however, to my dismay, each time i bring my son to the beach, he would scream.."carry me carry me"... he hates sand ! urgh !

anyway back to the topic (better not digress too much haha) ... Hi KopiYing,

yes i also feel my boy falls sick often...he falls sick every 2 months ...however i was assured by experienced parents (eg FUNZ) in the "Supplements for Cough" thread that my son is actually "normal"... and that babies fall sick as they r "building up immunity".... i was also told that once they cross 6 yr old, such "frequency" will slow down a little cos their immunity would be better by then ... i can't comment on that as my son is only 3 ...hehe..

I guess it is just unfortunate that your son experienced HFMD & Saliva gland infection at such young age... apart from that, i see that it is only normal cough, runny nose, fever for him ...which is normal so take heart :) altho i know it can be stressful caring for a sick child...

Also, while breastfeeding is good, not all breastfed babies are "spared" ... i have seen a fair number of breastfed babies falling sick pretty frequently too ..

maisy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Health