Too much milk for a 26 month?

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Too much milk for a 26 month?

Postby thebusybee » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:48 pm

I'm just wondering if my 26 month DS is consuming too much milk. Need to reduce the hole in our pocket, you see.

He's in CC, comes home at 5pm, MIL will give him a bottle of FM (180ml / 6oz)

Then come bed time - 9/10pm another 180ml. (sometimes half an hour after dinner, like 7/8pm, will demand for a bottle of it)
He still wakes up and cry for milk at 3am, 7am, then 9-10am when he wakes up!

So at least a whopping 900ml a day!

(Not forgetting a few more feeds during weekends, as the CC forbids them drinking from bottle and I doubt they give milk everyday during tea time)

He's a BF baby till around 15 month, all the while on 97 percentile growth. Now weighing 15.5kg.

Is it normal? Anyone can share some effective ways to reduce his intake? Especially on cutting his night feed?

I'm afraid he'll turn into a milkaholic. :roll:

thebusybee
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby MLR » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:09 pm

Hi busybee, WOW, your boy is already a milkaholic.
What I did with ds was I gave him more b4 bedtime, instead of 180, I give 220 or 240. DS milk schedule is: 7.30am, 12.30pm, 5 pm and 9pm. He is taking 180ml other than the b4 bed feed (240ml).
If he is eating his usual meal well, he wouldn't be so hungry as to need 2 night feeds. Its more of a habit than need and its bad for his teeth too. The sugar in milk breeds bacteria that rot teeth. DS stop night feed since 13 mo. He has a bottle of water on his bedside that he would help himself to when he wakes up in the middle of the night.
I would suggest that if he wakes up and cry for milk, jus give him water. It would be tough, but got to persists. Start on friday night, so that you can follow thru for the next 2 nights without losing too much sleep. Next week has a long weekend, thats a good time to start. I would suggest just go cold turkey, cos if you just delay the feed, then he would think that if he cries long enough, you would give in. That would turn into a vicious cycle.

Hope this helps.

MLR
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jedamum » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:17 pm

thebusybee,

my ds2 is also a milkaholic; and 97th percentile, weighing 17kg 1 week shy of his 3rd birthday.
he is on Plain Formula Milk (FoM) and Choc Fresh Milk (FrM) now.
morning - 180ml FoM (he can finish 210ml and more, but we cut down to 180ml).
half hour later - half a cup of FrM with his breakfast
weekend lunch at home - lunch with half a cup of FrM
teabreak - 180ml FrM
dinner at home - dinner with half a cup of FrM
before sleep - 180ml FoM
and adhoc snacking he will ask for his Choc FrM!

faintz..........

i think yours is more of a habit of frequent night feeds...increase the last milk feed or increase solids intake during dinner for fuller stomach.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby mrswongtuition » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:34 am

Mine is also a milk addict BUT he's only at 50th percentile.

Key to reducing milk intake is to increase solid food intake.
I make extra effort to make sure his meals & snacks are enticing so that he'll take more, and as such reduce milk intake.

But his appetite is so good now that he's eating more food & drinking more milk. Feel like banging my head.

It doesn't matter as long as the money spent on milk is well spent.
Maybe you can find a cheaper FM for him? Or be like me, stock up when there's offer to save on milk.

My boy can finish 1 900g tin in less than a week. Very expensive!

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BlurBee » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:12 am

My DS2 now 22mths can also finish 1 900g tin in ~a week. He is at 97th percentile, weigh 18Kg. Super right :faint:

Problem with him is that he doesn't take plain water, that's why he always request FM. We are currently making the FM very diluted.

BlurBee
Councillor
Councillor

Postby mrswongtuition » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:27 am

BlurBee wrote:My DS2 now 22mths can also finish 1 900g tin in ~a week. He is at 97th percentile, weigh 18Kg. Super right :faint:

Problem with him is that he doesn't take plain water, that's why he always request FM. We are currently making the FM very diluted.

You should reject his requests for milk & offer plain water.

My boy was like that also. But we just bought nice water bottles & left them around the house so that he has easy access to plain water. Now he does drink water & only asks for milk when he's hungry. & sometimes my maid will tell him that he needs to drink plain water before she'll give him his milk. & she only give him half the usual quantity.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:55 am

You have to look at yourself and your DH as well. If both/either of you are tall and big boned then that might be normal for your kid. 97th percentile for both height and weight or only weight. Your PD should be able to highlight if there are to be any concerns.

My boy was drinking 240ml each time last time but 50th percentile growth. Up to age 2, he was taking 240ml at 7am, 1pm, 4+pm, and 9.30pm. PD's recommendation is at least 600ml per day. Until today, both DD & DS who are 6 & 4yrs old still gets about 800ml of milk a day, breakfast, tea and b4 bed. But fresh milk now. Haha, doesn't help the pocket still.

You can try kicking the 3am feed and instead of giving milk at 9/10am, give him solids for breakfast.

Another way is to wean him off the bottle during waking hours. Most of the time, it is the comfort of sucking on the bottle that they seek. And they associate the bottle with milk so even if we put water or juice in it, they won't feel the oomph.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby sashimi » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:59 am

Babies and toddlers especially will occasionally undergo growth spurts - short periods when their appetite increases dramatically, which is followed by dramatic growth. Then they go back to normal. busybee, consider if this might be happening. Appetite increase due to growth spurts can be very shocking, but it's quite normal. When supported, the child grows well.

But if your kid is overweight, then there's a cause for concern lor.

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Keroppi30 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:04 pm

my 2.5yo gal would demand for milk 2 hourly sometimes 1hr... she has porridge 2-3 times in the day...
she drinks 180ml each time but the good thing is she usually dun wake up in the middle of the night for milk

Keroppi30
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:05 pm

Keroppi30 wrote:my 2.5yo gal would demand for milk 2 hourly sometimes 1hr... she has porridge 2-3 times in the day...
she drinks 180ml each time but the good thing is she usually dun wake up in the middle of the night for milk

My boy drinks 240 - 330ml each time!

He has breakfast, morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner and after dinner snacks. Still drinks alot of milk. Worst still: still has skinny as ever!

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Health