Does L-Carnitine help in lossing weight

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Does L-Carnitine help in lossing weight

Postby BerriMore1 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:48 pm

I am approached by friends who is selling this cosway L-Carnitine with apple juice. Claimed that it can turn our stored fat into energy thus making us not only more energetic but also lose the pounds.

I had goggled and found that some studies (produced by some companies who sold the product) that if L-Carnitine is taken before working out/exercises, it helps .

I have bought one and tried that. Feel like I sweat faster/earlier compare to no taking of the juice. Could be the weather or just law of attraction?

Anyone has tried that?

BerriMore1
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby 3Boys » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:20 pm

Some articles for your consideration;

1.L-Carnitine supplementation combined with aerobic training does not promote weight loss in moderately obese women.
Villani RG, Gannon J, Self M, Rich PA.
Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2000 Jun;10(2):199-207.

2.L-carnitine supplementation does not promote weight loss in ovariectomized rats despite endurance exercise.
Melton SA, Keenan MJ, Stanciu CE, Hegsted M, Zablah-Pimentel EM, O'Neil CE, Gaynor P, Schaffhauser A, Owen K, Prisby RD, LaMotte LL, Fernandez JM.
Int J Vitam Nutr Res. 2005 Mar;75(2):156-60.

and a link --> http://www.chasefreedom.com/lcarnitine.html

an abstract from above --> The available research on L-carnitine supplementation does not appear to support claims of enhanced aerobic or anaerobic exercise performance. While it is true that carnitine plays a vital role in energy metabolism, additional carnitine from exogenous sources does not appear to yield any benefit above and beyond the necessary physiological dose.

and another --> http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/carn ... 000291.htm

As typical for these types of supplements making these types of claims, a normal physiological function/hormone/protein etc. is taken, and its uses and effects extrapolated. Studies in support tend to be pretty poor science wise. Presently, L-carnitine is not medically indicated for weight loss

Personally, I would save the money, but I have not looked at L-carnitine in depth, and its your choice, of course.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Health