3rd hand smoke

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

3rd hand smoke

Postby SAHM_TAN » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:29 pm

It's not a typo, was reading today's wanbao and came across this new term 3rd hand smoke which is also very deadly, cancer causing, can trigger asthma and dangerous to preggies too.

From what I can understand, if someone has been smoking in a room, leaves the room, later you enter the room and can smell traces of smoking, that's considered as 3rd hand smoking.

It is also stated that clothes, furniture and carpet that has been smoked by the cigarettes, the chemicals found on them is also the same as those who smoke the cigarettes or from 2nd hand smoke. From what I can understand from the article, contact in such an environment is also harmful for the health. The chemicals is very difficult to clean off from the furniture and the environment.

In my younger days, when I visited bars and night clubs, there will be pple whose clothes smelled of cigarettes, didn't realise I was inhaling 3rd hand smoke. Lucky, seldom visit those places.

Usually, I will ask for non-smoking room if book hotel rooms. Last time was because didn't want to get 2nd hand smoke. Now I realise even the smoked furniture can affect our health !!!!

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: 3rd hand smoke

Postby starlight1968sg » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:38 pm

I didnt read the article.
I dont understand what is the stand of the relevant authorities. Since it is known that smoking is bad for all, why smoking is still allowed in Singapore. Can we take drastic measures similar to banning chewing gum?

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:50 pm

Think smoking is more difficult to ban becos of withdrawal symptons.

The follow-up actions for locals, as well as foreigners and tourists will be massive in regards to managing the withdrawal symptons. Not sure will nicotine patch be enough. Give a supply of nicotine patch to each smoking tourist who visit our country hmmmmmmmmm.

For now, I guess it is more and more inconvenient for smokers to smoke in Singapore. Though it is very angonising if happen to have smoking neighbours.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Beatrice_NoQ » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:37 pm

Smoking cannot be banned simply like chewing gum because of.. The high taxes! :rotflmao: But to be serious, yes, there will be a lot of repercussions from banning smoking. Tourism will also get impacted badly as foreigners will avoid Singapore like the plague if smoking isn't allowed.. For plenty of people overseas alike, smoking is a lifestyle. One that cannot simply be 'dropped' to their whim and fancy.

Beatrice_NoQ
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby pharmacharak » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:02 pm

Hello,
Weird but its true that 3rd hand smoking is exist in any place where smokers has contact. The smell of cigarette been stuck for some time in its surroundings like cloth or furniture. :sick:

pharmacharak
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby sembgal » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:26 pm

When you have neighbours smoking like a chimney, it is so unfair that my house become a 3rd hand smoke territory. Why can't there be a law to ban people from smoking in their house especially near their windows.

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Health