Lasik

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Lasik

Postby kiasimom » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:39 am

I know of many friends who have very high degree of myopia and is hesitant about performing LASIK for fear that it will have complications.

Let me share my personal experience.

I started wearing glasses at the age of 9yo.
I started to wear contact lenses at the age of 15yo for the sake of beauty. Girls at that age are starting to be very concerned of their appearances.

My relationship with contact lenses lasted for another 10 years until I decided to try LASIK.

I have always been a wearer of contact lenses. Everything is fine except for a little dryness and redness of the eyes when I removed the lenses after long hours.

When I was 25yo, my condition worsens.
My eyes will start to "reject" the contact lenses and many times I am left with infection.
The infection was so bad that I could not really see clearly and open my eyes. My eyes are blood shot red and swollen. They were tearing non-stop.

As I was working in frontline at that time, I was very consious about how I looked with my thick glasses ( My left eye is 650 degree and my right eye is 625 degree and I have very high astigmatism too. )
I lose confidence in my appearance and it made me looked nerdy.

After discussing with DH and a close friend who had LASIK, I decided to try LASIK treatment.

I went to TTSH for a diagnostic test as not all is suitable for LASIK.
The tests were very thorough.

They will require you to go through a series of tests to determine if you are suitable for LASIK.

Once the tests show that you are suitable for LASIK, you will be interviewed by an ophthalmologist to discuss the suitable LASIK treatment.

To find out more, please go to:
http://www.ttsh.com.sg/new/clinicalspec ... _lasik.htm

I am found to be a suitable candidate and made an appointment to have my vision corrected over two days, one eye a day.

I was rather nervous on my first day of laser correction. The whole process was painless and I could see clearly almost immediately after the surgery!!!

After the second day, I could see clearly with both eyes. I was advised on how to take care of my eyes.

I went back for follow-ups and vision test to check how good my vision has been corrected. I obtained a 6/6!! Impressive! :celebrate:

Many years down the road, I am still blessed with perfect eyesight.

The joy I had is I am no longer dependable on glasses and contact lenses.
The moment I open my eyes every morning, I could see the time on the clock very clearly.

When I go travelling, I do not have to pack contact lenses, solution and glasses with me.

To quote what my friend says, I regretted not going for LASIK earlier.

Today, I am very happy to have perfect eyesight. I don't have to wear glasses when driving in the night and rainy days.

All thanks to DH and LASIK.

kiasimom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mrswongtuition » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:26 am

Hi, can share how much you paid at TTSH & if you chose a senior consultant?

I'm contemplating LASIK too. My degree is worst than yours and my mum did hers at a private clinic some time back with very good results. She's sponsoring my LASIK if I'm willing to go through it.

Saw the doctor she went to once when she did her LASIK (few years back) and he said that my eyes were not stabilised yet (too young) and asked me to wait for a few more years since I'm not wearing contact lenses and there's no issue on infections and such (non-urgent case).

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cmm » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:46 am

I'm interested in LASIK too. My degree is 800+ each eye plus high astig. Thing is, I'm still breastfeeding and SNEC website says breastfeeding mothers are not suitable to undergo this procedure. Private clinic says no problem. :|

There's also LASIK - Blade, and LASIK - Bladeless. Anyone with experience with either? Pls share...

Hubby says will sponsor my LASIK :love:

http://www.singlasik.com.sg/

cmm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Happygolucky » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:36 am

HI,
I used to have 700 each side. Went for Lasik more than a year ago. Went ahead with it because eyes were getting drier and more uncomfortable using contact lenses, due to many years of wearing contact and aging. After LAsik, No major side effects, although my eyes could get very dry by the end of the day during the initial 6 to 9 months.

Recovery for blade less is believed to be a bit faster. most hospitals are using the blade less method now.

People who are literally blind without glasses will understand my joy of being able to read the time off the clock immediately after surgery. It nice to be able to move around without glasses or contacts, especially when you need to wake up in the middle of the night to attend to very young children.

Happygolucky
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby BlurBee » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:09 am

Happygolucky wrote:People who are literally blind without glasses will understand my joy of being able to read the time off the clock immediately after surgery. It nice to be able to move around without glasses or contacts, especially when you need to wake up in the middle of the night to attend to very young children.

Fully agree. Although mine was 200 each but still find it very troublesome to wear glasses during the middle of the night. Went for Lasik this year and now is feeling good.
I went to TTSH for evaluation last year but since I was breastfeeding then, they dun recommend me to perform lasik as the eyes might not be very stable.

BlurBee
Councillor
Councillor

Postby cafelatte » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:18 pm

I had Lasik 2 years ago! :D The first day without glasses or contact lens, I feel like I was re-borned ! :D

I did mine at Eagle-eye, Dr. Julian Theng. Excellent service!

cafelatte
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby daisyt » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:41 pm

Me also another happy, reborn person after lasik, 2 years ago. My advice is, don't go for the cheap ones. Surgeon is very very important. I have a friend who went to a very famous one but somehow his procedure and mine are different. His surgeon, after dropping the eye drop, perform the lasik immediately, hence he could feel the pinch and pain. For me, I felt nothing at all during the lasik. He was requried to go back for correction because his was not done perfectly. :(

My only side effect is dry eyes, even till now, once a while.

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MLR » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:40 pm

Started my love affair with glasses since 8 yo :P . After 30 yrs, we decide to go our own way, so I did the surgery last year.

Had wanted to do it for the longest while, but costs as well as fear held me back. Earlier last year, noticed signs of long-sightedness :shock: . Was thinking: No, no, no :nailbite: , I don't want to wear bi-focal lenses. My myopia is a scary 1000+ degree on right eye and 900+ on left eye(actually considered legally blind in some countries :oops: ).

I did the mono vision correction to enable near work (reading, pc). My right eye which is the dominent eye is perfect vision, where my left is left with about 100 degrees to help "correct" my long-sightedness.

After surgery, took about 6 months for the eyes/brain to get used to new vision. Now, still hv slight blur at night due to astig, otherwise, definately a happier and safer person.
:celebrate: Now, DH no longer had to worry about me killing myself trying to catch a bus/cross the road at night, especially when its raining.

MLR
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby cmm » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:56 pm

MLR wrote:Now, DH no longer had to worry about me killing myself trying to catch a bus/cross the road at night, especially when its raining.

Hahaha, you funny you, MLR!!

I hate wearing contact lenses. My eyes feel very dry and scratchy when I wear them. Gives me big headache (literally) too :P

Stopped wearing contact lenses during my first pregnancy and have stuck with glasses since then. Hate it when my glasses fog up when I alight from air-con bus, rain drops on the lenses...

I got a response from SNEC and they confirmed that I can undergo LASIK though I'm still breastfeeding (but must be at least 3 mths post delivery). I've booked an appt to meet the surgeon in Jan. Here's to my first step to re-birth! YAY!! :celebrate:

Will let you guys know how it goes.....

cmm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby kiasimom » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:02 pm

Wow!!!
I am very overwhelmed that LASIK to many means rebirth!!!

I had mine done at TTSH by the below surgeon.
Name :
Clinical Assoc Prof Heng Wee Jin
Designation :
Head, TTSH LASIK Centre & Senior Consultant
Credentials :
MBBS, MMed, FAMS, FRCSE(UK), FACS(USA)
Subspeciality :
Cornea & Refractive Surgery (LASIK), Contact Lens, Cataract & General Ophthalmology

The costs of operations is about $4000 inclusive of tests and follow ups.

kiasimom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Health