Self discipline in food choices

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Self discipline in food choices

Postby Han Seo » Sun May 18, 2014 1:43 am

As we aged, it becomes increasingly important to control what we eat to keep cholesterol and blood sugar in check. However, given the convenience of hawker centers and food court here, it is an uphill battle to fight against temptations and choose wisely whenever we have to eat out.

Short of packing your own lunch to work, do you have any tips on how not to succumb to all the oily and lard laden hawker food? It doesn't help that I do not like sandwiches. The health promotion Board advises us to choose soup over dry noodles, ask for less sauces and oil and more veggies etc. but I think the effect is minimal because hawkers use lard or palm oil in their dishes. These are bad oil.

I have a friend who, at age 60 plus, does not have any chronic diseases despite having a family history of diabetes. This is very rare in Singapore. Most of us would have developed either diabetes, high blood pressure or high cholesterol in our 40s. I asked her for her secret. She told me that she hardly eats out and can survive on a simple sandwich every day. In other words, she is not a foodie in general.

If you have any tips, please share!

Han Seo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Self discipline in food choices

Postby Jennifer » Sun May 18, 2014 6:33 am

There is an electric lunch box that claims one can prepare the food n cook in office. Or use thermal lunch box to pack home cooked food.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Health