knee replacement

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

knee replacement

Postby janet88 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:14 pm

anyone has a parent who has gone for knee replacement op?
can you please advise if this op will be a solution to worn knee cap?
thanks.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: knee replacement

Postby Integer » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:26 pm

janet_lee88 wrote:anyone has a parent who has gone for knee replacement op?
thanks.

My MIL did a total knee replacement last yr. Yup, she's fine now.

Integer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:20 am

Integer wrote:
janet_lee88 wrote:anyone has a parent who has gone for knee replacement op?
thanks.

My MIL did a total knee replacement last yr. Yup, she's fine now.

Thanks...my mum is going for the right knee replacement next week.
Think she would need to get left knee fixed after that.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngl2010 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:28 am

MIL did knee replacements twice. The first one was a failure (inexperienced doctor :gloomy: ) such that she was in more pain than before the surgery. She endured it for a few years because she thought it was normal. The second surgery was done by another doctor. The doctor removed the first replacement and put a new one. After a few days she immediately can feel that the pain has lessened a lot.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Integer » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:52 am

ngl2010 wrote:MIL did knee replacements twice. The first one was a failure (inexperienced doctor :gloomy: ) such that she was in more pain than before the surgery. She endured it for a few years because she thought it was normal. The second surgery was done by another doctor. The doctor removed the first replacement and put a new one. After a few days she immediately can feel that the pain has lessened a lot.

So scary ... so yr MIL did 2x on 1 knee?

Can share where was the op done? My MIL went private, she was up & abt (with walking frame) within a week or so. But the amt of :moneyflies: , really :cry: :slapshead: ...

So now me & DH are taking our glucosamine more religiously ... hopefully they help ... :xedfingers:

Integer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby TheAnswer » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:58 am

Integer wrote:
ngl2010 wrote:MIL did knee replacements twice. The first one was a failure (inexperienced doctor :gloomy: ) such that she was in more pain than before the surgery. She endured it for a few years because she thought it was normal. The second surgery was done by another doctor. The doctor removed the first replacement and put a new one. After a few days she immediately can feel that the pain has lessened a lot.

Can share where was the op done? My MIL went private, she was up & abt (with walking frame) within a week or so. But the amt of :moneyflies: , really :cry: :slapshead: ...

So now me & DH are taking our glucosamine more religiously ... hopefully they help ... :xedfingers:

At what age must we start taking glucosamine?

TheAnswer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngl2010 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:03 am

Integer wrote:

Yes. 2x on 1 knee. First time was at SGH. Second time was at Tan Tock Seng. However, the doctor at TTS had moved to Mt E. In my opinion, better to spend a few thousands dollars more than to be operated on by an inexperienced doctor. :gloomy:

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:04 am

Mum is seeing this doctor recommended by aunt's colleagues. Novena medical centre. The gel injected 2 months ago didn't work. knee cap is swollen and pain when walking. Has to be warded for 4 days...the next day after op, she would have to start physiotherapy.

Used to hear creaking sound on my knees but after taking glucosamine supplement and calcium, it feels better...I am taking green life vegetable based glucosamine. Now I am reminding hubby to be more hardworking to take it too.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Integer » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:13 am

janet_lee88 wrote:Mum is seeing this doctor recommended by aunt's colleagues. Novena medical centre. The gel injected 2 months ago didn't work. knee cap is swollen and pain when walking. Has to be warded for 4 days...the next day after op, she would have to start physiotherapy.

Used to hear creaking sound on my knees but after taking glucosamine supplement and calcium, it feels better...I am taking green life vegetable based glucosamine. Now I am reminding hubby to be more hardworking to take it too.

Do u know roughly how much is yr mum's KR op @ Novena, Janet?

Ours last yr @ Mt E cost almost $30k, no subsidies. :sweat:

Integer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Integer » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:16 am

TheAnswer wrote:
Integer wrote:

At what age must we start taking glucosamine?

Actually I'm not one to take supplements and such ... but started taking more seriously in my 40s, with the view that I don't want to be a 拖累 to my only child when I'm old.

Integer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Health