Is Snack Good For Them?

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Is Snack Good For Them?

Postby Welson Woon » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:11 pm

Hi All,

I have a 2 years old baby girl. She is so lovely especially when she eating and the time she craving for snacks. Everytime when I saw her cute pity face, I will secretly give her, her flavor snacks without permission from my wife. But I really found that she had ate too much of snack and may cause an unhealthy life style for her.

For your info:
Honey Stars
Gerber Biscuit
Cheese Meatball

Please kindly give me some advise. As I don't wanna make her unhappy.

Thank You,

Kiasu Father

Welson Woon
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Is Snack Good For Them?

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:51 pm

Healthy snacks are good for kids as they may need to eat every 2 hrs or so, especially if they are very active or growing fast. Just avoid those with high fat, salt or sugar. Gerber biscuits (if they are the baby ones) are probably OK, but the others should be avoided except very occasionally. Get her used to eating plainer snacks and fresh fruit. When you think that she is unhappy when you don't give in to her, think of how unhappy she will be (and you as well) if she develops diabetes or some other chronic disease due to unhealthy eating habits.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Welson Woon » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:55 am

[quote="slmkhoo"]Healthy snacks are good for kids as they may need to eat every 2 hrs or so, especially if they are very active or growing fast. Just avoid those with high fat, salt or sugar. Gerber biscuits (if they are the baby ones) are probably OK, but the others should be avoided except very occasionally. Get her used to eating plainer snacks and fresh fruit. When you think that she is unhappy when you don't give in to her, think of how unhappy she will be (and you as well) if she develops diabetes or some other chronic disease due to unhealthy eating habits.[/quote]

Hi,

Thanks for your advise and opinion. I think I should prepare some fruit for her. And i notice she like to eat those heavy taste snack also. Probably I should try to change her appetite by control her eating habits.

Thank You,

Kiasu Father

Welson Woon
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:53 am

Yes, do train her taste buds while she is young. If she gets to like very sweet or salty foods now, cutting back later when she starts getting illnesses or whatever will be much harder. And the whole family should change as well - if you have those snacks at home, she will want them too. Some unhealthy stuff at parties or at other people's houses on special occasions won't matter as long as she eats healthier stuff most of the time.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zbear » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:44 pm

Sorry, I lost touch. Can a 2 year old child bit on hard food?

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:13 pm

zbear wrote:Sorry, I lost touch. Can a 2 year old child bit on hard food?

By 1+yo, most kids can eat normal food if they have been introduced to it. I followed the advice in parenting books about introducing solids, and my kids were on table foods by 12-14mths with no problems.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Welson Woon » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:53 am

Yaya, as most parents will found that milk feeding is not sufficient to make the baby full and by the time they are growing little teeth, they like to bite things so much. haha. How cute a baby is. Try to buy some baby biscuit for them 1st as I do it at 1st and don't follow my path given them others unhealthy snacks.

Welson Woon
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Health