Tablet sterilisation of milk bottles & pump accessories

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Tablet sterilisation of milk bottles & pump accessories

Postby IJJ » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:53 am

Anyone using this? I am contemplating to use this method for our short vacation but am worry about safety issue on the chemical used. Is it really safety to use for baby's feeding accessories? Any known 'side' effect? Appreciate any sharing.

IJJ
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BlurBee » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:26 am

I'd used this for my kids and I used daily (for 6 mths). I rinsed wth cool boiling water before use.
Did not see any side effect during the usage so i think should be considered safe. But the bottles will have smell of chemical after soaking.

BlurBee
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jedamum » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:18 am

differ from child to child.
i used for both ds1 and ds2 until they are 15mth old.
when buying, do check the instructions; some tablets required thorough rinsing of bottles before using (eg pigeon sterilizing tablets) while some don't need (i used to use 'milton' brand - recommended by MIL; not sure if it is still available in the market cos i switch to another brand - forgot the name - when i can't find milton).

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ZacK » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:51 am

I remembered for our vacation with DS1 when he was a lot younger... We brought the bottle cleaning solution along and then followed up with scalding or soaking it in freshly boiled hot water. To me that was the next best thing to sterilising the bottles by steaming.

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby IJJ » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:53 am

Thanks for the responses! It the 'chemical' smell tat worries me abit.

Jedamum, does the milton one has the chemical smell too? You need not rinse, means you place right into the solution after use? Then won't the solution be miky with the residue from the bottles and such? :?

Boiling and scalding will be our next alternative.

:wink:

IJJ
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:47 am

IJJ wrote:Thanks for the responses! It the 'chemical' smell tat worries me abit.

Jedamum, does the milton one has the chemical smell too? You need not rinse, means you place right into the solution after use? Then won't the solution be miky with the residue from the bottles and such? :?

Boiling and scalding will be our next alternative.

:wink:

by 'need not rinse', i mean that after you take the clean bottle out of the sterilizing solution, you need not rinse the bottle with cool boiled water. i chose that cos then rinsing with water is a choice and not a requirement (pigeon's brand is requirement to rinse).
yes. the milton ones has chemical smell. i find it quite ok, maybe it's just me nia. plus, MIL said she used it for my husband, so i think ok lor. then used it for both my kids.
our routine is we boil the bottle every morning, then use the solution for the rest of the day. if the smell is too strong, use cool boiled water to rinse the inside before preparing the FM.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby EstherTan » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:04 pm

I used this for my girl too. Made FM feeding at night a lot easier because I spent the first few days waiting in front of the sterilizer (and nodding off) to do its job. Like the rest, I also used hot water (kept in a hot water bottle next the solution with the bottles soaking inside) to rinse (I used Pigeon).

The instructions for Pigeon states that the solution can be kept up to 24 hours, but I only use it for 12hours. I've seen a tub of chemical solution kept at the nurses' station at the hospital where things like teats and nipple covers (for moms to use during breastfeeding) are kept there. It's rinsed with water before it's sent out to the patients, and it's also rinsed (with sterilized water) before being dumped back into the same solution. In fact, it was a nurse at the hospital who introduced me to this concept of chemical sterilization.

EstherTan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Health