Sleeping Fear

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Sleeping Fear

Postby kiddo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:43 am

Hello all Great Mummies out there,
Just want to ask for advise and thots on this

I have 13 year old boy. ( one child only)- no maid family - Boi is introvert.

Recently boi have trouble sleeping .

Day 1 - wake up at 3am came into mummy room say cannot sleep so mummy pat him to sleep and he went back to sleep after 20 minute me sooth him to sleep.

Day 2 - fearful of ghost because he say he need to be sleeping in his bed (next room) before mumy/daddy sleep so he dont feel so alone thinking of the dark/ghost

Day 3 - 2am I was watching dvd lah as usual must watch then me go to sleep - boi ran out from his room - say something like ""give me this something something " I hug him but it seem like his eyes are close , then he walk back to his bed then doze off- I suspect he is sleep walking..

I burst into cold sweat - what's happening to boi ??

Some background - I spoke to boi after day 2 - he say the scout training in school which required that each scout conquer their fear of the dark and ghost thingy by watching a ghost movie and then wallk alone in pitch dark round the school and return back to camp.

I doono maybe is a phase boi will get through but Mummy is Worried .... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

kiddo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kaitlynangelica » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:24 am

Hi kiddo,

What about trying a night light? Maybe that will help.

I have a 6 year old (also only child ) and she is still sleeping with us! Also said scared of ghost and monster.

Am worried too.

:?:

kaitlynangelica
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby tankee » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:44 am

is this sudden fear of darkness before or after the scout camp thingy?

tankee
Site Admin

Postby kiddo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:44 pm

tankee wrote:is this sudden fear of darkness before or after the scout camp thingy?

Tankee dear ,

After camping thingy boi feel like this his camp was last dec 26-28th

- some auntie say maybe meet people in 3rd dimensions. alamak siao liao :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

kiddo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kiddo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:47 pm

kaitlynangelica wrote:Hi kiddo,

What about trying a night light? Maybe that will help.

I have a 6 year old (also only child ) and she is still sleeping with us! Also said scared of ghost and monster.

Am worried too.

:?:

kaitlynangelica,

Good for your gal to sleep with u, my boi sleep with us until 10 leh.

kiddo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tankee » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:01 pm

kiddo wrote:Tankee dear ,

After camping thingy boi feel like this his camp was last dec 26-28th

- some auntie say maybe meet people in 3rd dimensions. alamak siao liao :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

oh dear !! he must have been really scared by the camp thingy.

i went through similar "game" when I was Sec1 decades ago; and organised similar "game" each year through Sec and JC. I have not came across anyone being negatively affected by it. On the other hand, quite a number stopped being afraid of the dark after it, one such former scaredy cat is myself.

Slight different in the game is that we do not screen ghost movie. And in my time, the seniors are always in proximity, but out of sight, as safety precaution. And if we sense anyone is uncomfortable, the senior will bring him/her back to the assembly area immediately.

Perhaps you should bring this to the attention to the teacher in charge and urge review how the game is being executed.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby sashimi » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:03 pm

Sounds familiar, kiddo. Sorry you and your boy are going through this. When I was a child I happened to watch a zombie movie, and after that both my 20+ yr old aunt and me had nightmares and couldn't sleep!

I think your son's scout experience has done damage rather than good. They ought to take responsibility and provide a longer term solution.

But besides that, let me offer a few thoughts.

1. Does your son sleep late? Sleeping too late causes over-tiredness, which affects how peacefully a person sleeps.

2. Is your son very active just before bedtime? (includes watching TV). This also leads to overtiredness and/or having too much adrenalin in the body just prior to sleep. This causes the body to remain too "excited", and thus induces poor sleep + overly vivid dreams.

3. Your "Day 3" description sounds very much like a night terror. Many kids go through it although I tend not to associate it with teens. A night terror is not the same as a nightmare. From what I know, when a person is having a night terror, he seems to be awake but is actually not awake. He will appear to be witnessing something very frightening. When you talk to him, he seems to answer you but may not make sense. When he wakes up in the morning, he will have no memory of it at all.

One method I use to tackle with this is to try to first calm the child down, then try to distract her with something calming. I usually offer my daughter a drink of water. You can also attempt to answer his questions/requests in a positive manner. Eg. if he says "give me something, then you say "OK i give it to you". Sometimes... that works....

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby kiddo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:24 pm

sashimi wrote:Sounds familiar, kiddo. Sorry you and your boy are going through this. When I was a child I happened to watch a zombie movie, and after that both my 20+ yr old aunt and me had nightmares and couldn't sleep!

I think your son's scout experience has done damage rather than good. They ought to take responsibility and provide a longer term solution.

But besides that, let me offer a few thoughts.

1.Does your son sleep late? Sleeping too late causes over-tiredness, which affects how peacefully a person sleeps.

2. Is your son very active just before bedtime? (includes watching TV). This also leads to overtiredness and/or having too much adrenalin in the body just prior to sleep. This causes the body to remain too "excited", and thus induces poor sleep + overly vivid dreams.

3.Your "Day 3" description sounds very much like a night terror. Many kids go through it although I tend not to associate it with teens. A night terror is not the same as a nightmare. From what I know, when a person is having a night terror, he seems to be awake but is actually not awake. He will appear to be witnessing something very frightening. When you talk to him, he seems to answer you but may not make sense. When he wakes up in the morning, he will have no memory of it at all.

One method I use to tackle with this is to try to first calm the child down, then try to distract her with something calming. I usually offer my daughter a drink of water. You can also attempt to answer his questions/requests in a positive manner. Eg. if he says "give me something, then you say "OK i give it to you". Sometimes... that works....

Wa lau ehh :kiss: ...sashimi .....you bery PRO leh .......u hit the nail in the head,
I think you summarised the cause and effect aptly.....
But Mummy so busy this time being a FTWM want to nurse him back to health, got leave no time to take
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
I think i will have to drop everything once I home from work and get boi boi up to speed
:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

Love you all Ladies for the pointers :snuggles: and mumy type of daddy
Last edited by kiddo on Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kiddo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schweppes » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:31 pm

kiddo wrote:Love you all Ladies for the pointers :snuggles:

eh... kiddo, just like to clarify that sashimi is a daddy :lol:

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby buds hubs » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:35 pm

Haiyah... Some movies are just not meant to be watched by children..

I recall having the same kind of experience when I was little..

Back then..It was the JAWS movie.. I recall seeing how that st#@*& :stupid:
shark came and bit off the arms & legs of the swimmers..

I had nightmares thereafter and developed fear of swimming at sea..

To date,every now & then, I still have nightmares of falling into sea and
getting chased by JAWS...whenever I have high fever..

I hate that movie... :cry:

buds hubs
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Health