Coughing for the past 3 months!

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Coughing for the past 3 months!

Postby ParanoidMami » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:42 pm

Hi All,

My 8 year old has been coughing every morning and nights for the past 3 months and hasn't stopped since. He sounds so full of phlegm yet after a recent visit to the a&e the doctor said I shouldn't have to worry about it. They did do an Xray but it did not show anything serious.

Has anyone faced a similar situation? Any recommendations on a respiratory doctor maybe? I am not sure where to go from here. Help...

ParanoidMami
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Coughing for the past 3 months!

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:48 pm

Does he exercise or do sports? Regular swimming does wonders for children with respiratory problems.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby FantasyLandDreams » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:59 pm

Could be a case of sensitive airways cum sinus problems. I just recovered from a bad cough of 3 months too due to my usual sensitive airways and sinus problems.

FantasyLandDreams
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:36 am

ParanoidMami wrote:Hi All,

My 8 year old has been coughing every morning and nights for the past 3 months and hasn't stopped since. He sounds so full of phlegm yet after a recent visit to the a&e the doctor said I shouldn't have to worry about it..

Any particular reason why you went to A&E for this cough? I suggest you ask around with neighbours and classmates' parents for a recommended pd or GP in your area, specifically for coughs. I have learn over time that different doctors are good at different conditions.

Specifically to coughs during night time and morning - this MAY be backdrip cough ie mucus from sinus drip backwards into the throat at night, causing the child to cough. It is usually worse towards morning as the mucus has accumulated through the night. If so, the treatment should be geared towards the nose, and not the throat. The phlegm from this cough tends to be clear or white. As it is not due to virus, it is nothing to worry about but it disrupts sleep. If it is due to allergy, usually antihistamine will work and the doctor will ask you to try that route for a week to see if it makes a difference.

if it is due to weather changes and the child has cold feet at night, you can try Vicks on the soles and wear socks to sleep. It works for my boys. For sensitive airway, changes in humidity level can also irritate. So adjust the aircon usage accordingly.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby FantasyLandDreams » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:31 pm

ammonite wrote:
ParanoidMami wrote:Hi All,

My 8 year old has been coughing every morning and nights for the past 3 months and hasn't stopped since. He sounds so full of phlegm yet after a recent visit to the a&e the doctor said I shouldn't have to worry about it..

Any particular reason why you went to A&E for this cough? I suggest you ask around with neighbours and classmates' parents for a recommended pd or GP in your area, specifically for coughs. I have learn over time that different doctors are good at different conditions.

Specifically to coughs during night time and morning - this MAY be backdrip cough ie mucus from sinus drip backwards into the throat at night, causing the child to cough. It is usually worse towards morning as the mucus has accumulated through the night. If so, the treatment should be geared towards the nose, and not the throat. The phlegm from this cough tends to be clear or white. As it is not due to virus, it is nothing to worry about but it disrupts sleep. If it is due to allergy, usually antihistamine will work and the doctor will ask you to try that route for a week to see if it makes a difference.

if it is due to weather changes and the child has cold feet at night, you can try Vicks on the soles and wear socks to sleep. It works for my boys. For sensitive airway, changes in humidity level can also irritate. So adjust the aircon usage accordingly.

Yes the above are good advice. Same advice from my GP and tcm doctor. For back drip I am given nasal spray too. Wearing socks and Vicks does help. Using an air purifier and humidiser helps too, less air con too. On bad occasions my cough turned into asthmatic cough over prolonged period, so watch out for this too.

For cough in children, you may want to try Dr Ngiam from icac clinic at gleneagles hospital. Works for my child.

FantasyLandDreams
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Coolkidsrock2 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:18 am

Same for myself and kid. Turn out to be mycoplasma after blood test tested positive for it. Kid is fine now after antibiotics. I still have a slight lingering cough.

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:40 am

Coolkidsrock2 wrote:Same for myself and kid. Turn out to be mycoplasma after blood test tested positive for it. Kid is fine now after antibiotics. I still have a slight lingering cough.

My kids was tested for that too at one stage (after I have spent almost $1000 on both of them). But it turned out negative. I didn't whether to be be glad or sad... :lightrod:

(Oh yes, a bit gross but the color of the phlegm can guide. Clear phlegm is usually just mucus without infection. Grey, green, yellow phlegm is an infection. I forgot which color mycoplasma tend to be, but it does not respond to the first line of antibiotics.)

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Coolkidsrock2 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:32 am

I don't have phlegm and DS had a bit. We tested at quite an early stage, when the cough did not clear after about 2 weeks. Phlegm and mucus were mainly clear.

The antibiotics we took were strong. I did not react well to it (was on 2 rounds of strong antibiotics earlier for another infection) so am leaving it as is for now as it is not a very bad cough. More nuisance but will follow-up with another round of antibiotic if it worsens.

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:05 am

Coolkidsrock2 wrote:I don't have phlegm and DS had a bit. We tested at quite an early stage, when the cough did not clear after about 2 weeks. Phlegm and mucus were mainly clear.
That's another lesson for me in the dangers of generalisation. :sweat: My kids were tested after 2 months (I did nothing for the first month) and were given inhaler and first line of antibiotics initially.

The antibiotics we took were strong. I did not react well to it (was on 2 rounds of strong antibiotics earlier for another infection) so am leaving it as is for now as it is not a very bad cough. More nuisance but will follow-up with another round of antibiotic if it worsens.

That sounds like a bad spell you are having. Do get well soon! :hugs:

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Coolkidsrock2 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:32 pm

Thank you ammonite.

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Health