All about Wellness programmes

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

All about Wellness programmes

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:03 pm

Ok... I'm seriously looking for one that can force me to get the discipline to become fitter. Leaving it to myself usually means never doing it myself... sigh.

I'm thinking of yoga, or perhaps taichi. Any recommendations of the activity? And trainers? What do you all do to get and stay fit?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Re: All about Wellness programmes

Postby toddles » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:06 pm

Hmmm yoga and taichi not very cardio? So kinda low-impact...

If your knees are ok, try jogging? With a partner if you can't trust yourself to maintain discipline?

toddles
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Sun_2010 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:24 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:Ok... I'm seriously looking for one that can force me to get the discipline to become fitter. Leaving it to myself usually means never doing it myself... sigh.

I'm thinking of yoga, or perhaps taichi. Any recommendations of the activity? And trainers? What do you all do to get and stay fit?

That one only Mrs.CKS can :cheeky:

Just my random opinions,
It is good to have a trainer . The mistakes and recovery can cost us time and effort. I learnt it the hard way though :shrug:

Dont go for trainers who push hard - they are good motivators but most of us above 40 need to give our bodies the benefit of doubt.

Ankles and knees, wrists and elbows - learn to use them correctly , dont over strain them .If you are , then you are doing the exercise the wrong way.

Form is very important, know the purpose of each exercise, and do a mental check that the right muscles are working. This comes with time and practice. so sticking to a set helps. But most classes will keep changing to keep it from getting monotonous .

I feel taichi is good ( I haven't done proper classes) as it helps one to do the steps by the comparing to another activity or metaphor , so it is easier, you dont have to worry so much about different parts of our body or doing it right , just imagination . Words like "feel the energy flow, breathe out your tension, etc" forces you to be in the present and to be cheerful.
And when you do it right, taichi is not easy. It just takes time but is a worthy investment. I intend to have a go in a couple of years - no time now :sad: .

Yoga is a good option if you are flexible. Again a good instructor is a must.

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:53 pm

Chief, get yourself another dog. :wink: Not a Chihuahua but a mid to large size dog that will require a good amount of exercise. They make very good exercise companions and you have no choice but to bring them out for their daily walks or risk having your house torn apart. :lol:

Even if you sign up for a programme with a personal trainer, etc, end of the day, still need to depend on your own resolve lah. I've signed up for yoga, pilates, even had personal trainers, paid all that money, initially was diligent, but eventually still come up with all sorts of reasons not to go for this or that session, so in the end :moneyflies:

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:05 pm

toddles wrote:Hmmm yoga and taichi not very cardio? So kinda low-impact...

If your knees are ok, try jogging? With a partner if you can't trust yourself to maintain discipline?

My knees are not so good... I was thinking of starting slow and then pick up when I get back to jogging form. Nowadays I only do treadmill brisk walking. Mrs CKS not very into jogging leh.

It's all this talk about Grexit... that's making me think it is time that my grease exit from my abdominal zone :)

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:09 pm

Funz wrote:Chief, get yourself another dog. :wink: Not a Chihuahua but a mid to large size dog that will require a good amount of exercise. They make very good exercise companions and you have no choice but to bring them out for their daily walks or risk having your house torn apart. :lol: ...

Since the passing of my 2 dogs, I've decided never to get another dog, despite the temptation. I don't think I can handle another of my dogs passing away. I had a Chihuahua and a Jack Russell. The Chihuahua I had to drag whenever she goes for a walk. But the Jack Russell drags me along whenever I bring her out for a walk.

I've got a couple of cockatiels, though. Xiao Bai and Xiao Mi. Together, they make Bai Mi. Xiao Bai gave me a good run a couple of months back when he decided to have an excursion across the river. I ran over to the other side of the river, only to see him fly back home again by himself... :frustrated:

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:13 pm

Sun_2010 wrote:... Just my random opinions,
It is good to have a trainer . The mistakes and recovery can cost us time and effort. I learnt it the hard way though :shrug:

Dont go for trainers who push hard - they are good motivators but most of us above 40 need to give our bodies the benefit of doubt.

Ankles and knees, wrists and elbows - learn to use them correctly , dont over strain them .If you are , then you are doing the exercise the wrong way.

Form is very important, know the purpose of each exercise, and do a mental check that the right muscles are working. This comes with time and practice. so sticking to a set helps. But most classes will keep changing to keep it from getting monotonous .

I feel taichi is good ( I haven't done proper classes) as it helps one to do the steps by the comparing to another activity or metaphor , so it is easier, you dont have to worry so much about different parts of our body or doing it right , just imagination . Words like "feel the energy flow, breathe out your tension, etc" forces you to be in the present and to be cheerful.
And when you do it right, taichi is not easy. It just takes time but is a worthy investment. I intend to have a go in a couple of years - no time now :sad: .

Yoga is a good option if you are flexible. Again a good instructor is a must.

That's what I thought. A personal coach or trainer could give me all the motivation to keep at it. I a little shy to show my face at the gym at the moment... :)

Do you do taichi, Sun? Got good master to recommend in the east? Otherwise I'll just buy the Xbox Fitness Taichi programme... :laugh:

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Sun_2010 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:40 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:
That's what I thought. A personal coach or trainer could give me all the motivation to keep at it. I a little shy to show my face at the gym at the moment... :)

Do you do taichi, Sun? Got good master to recommend in the east? Otherwise I'll just buy the Xbox Fitness Taichi programme... :laugh:

N n n n no! No coach is going to motivate you. That is strictly DIY :lol: The coach will just help you to plan a routine, and do it right, and push you . But the discipline part to do it regularly rests squarely on your shoulders.

No I dont do taichi and dunno any sensei. I attend a class that is a mix of taichi and yoga. I just am enamored by the smooth flow and the rich imagery of taichi. I am a very inconsistent person. Even before I commit to something, i will have my reserve of excuses ready so group classes work better for me. :oops:

Taichi is not going to build muscles but can strengthen them, is mildly cardio, it sure is stress relieving - 15 mins of taichi warm up and I start to feel the stress melting away. You could try the CCs first . The problem is the crowd is mostly senior citizens and that honestly is a little discouraging, you might feel out of place. On the bright side, you will pick up faster :-) Believe me , in a group class most are busy trying to get not look awkward with their moves that no one is watching you. :laugh: except a couple of near-experts , who I suspect come to show off :evil:

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:43 am

Chief, now some CC have free programmers to celebrate SG50.

Go try the fitness programmes, esp the DanceFit one and see which one you like.

DanceFit has many aunties who are always very prettily dressed for the dancing sessions.

Line dance, waltz, belly dancing :rotflmao:

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby TheAnswer » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:31 am

Following..

TheAnswer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Health