Late Puberty

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Late Puberty

Postby lymmlim » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:55 am

Hi all,

My daughter is going to be 13yrs and she is in sec 1 this year. She is very petite, weight 30kg and 135cm tall. No sight of any puberty. She always felt intefior all these year and especially this year. To her and myself, is a big turning point. She compared herself with her peers, school-mate in term of her 'size'. She felt miserable since 1st day to new secondary school this year.

We had consulted chinese physican and Pediatrician, they told me she is ok and late puberty.

Could anyone able to advise me or have the same problem ? Any doctor or remedy can recommend ?

Thanks.

lymmlim
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby CJS » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:30 pm

My dd also 13 and s2 this year. She only has her first period in Dec last year. Dun worry, every child develops at different speeds. Since the doctor says she is normal, just let her enjoy her childhood longer.

CJS
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Yerdua » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:53 pm

Attended a wkshop on parenting teen:
Teenage years is the period where their friends views and acceptance are the most important factors in their life.
Parents are sidelined as 'cheerleaders' only.

As such, her 'later than peers' puberty is causing her to be 'miseable' in sch even though she's fine as doc are concerned. This's the period you got to give more support and assurance to tide her thru this 'difficult emotional period' with her eg. boosting her self esteem, engaging in sports etc...
Let her know subtly tt the body changes is not everything in gaining more friends.

([i]When i went to sec 1, i was short, less than 1.5m and my menses did come till i was in late sec 2.
But after o'levels, then my height shot up to 1.64m. [i])
Feel free to share my 'story' with ur dd.

Yerdua
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Late Puberty

Postby westmom » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:37 pm

lymmlim wrote:Hi all,

My daughter is going to be 13yrs and she is in sec 1 this year. She is very petite, weight 30kg and 135cm tall. No sight of any puberty. She always felt intefior all these year and especially this year. To her and myself, is a big turning point. She compared herself with her peers, school-mate in term of her 'size'. She felt miserable since 1st day to new secondary school this year.

We had consulted chinese physican and Pediatrician, they told me she is ok and late puberty.

Could anyone able to advise me or have the same problem ? Any doctor or remedy can recommend ?

Thanks.

My dd is tiny too and looks like a P3/4 gal despite being in Sec 1. Tell your gal that she is lucky because late puberty means late aging. When everyone else looks "old" when they are 40 or 50...she will look younger than them. In my dd's case, she didn't feel inferior so far - i guess she is used be called skinny and small. When she entered Sec 1...the big cheh cheh in her school...teased her..."you so small, so cute lah".

westmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby tired mom » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:14 pm

It's not a problem, so no need to remedy..

I was also a late bloomer, didn't get my period till late Sec 2 (among the latest in class) and only started to grow taller from Sec 2 to 4. In contrast, a classmate who was way way taller than me in Sec 1 hardly grew much in the sec years.

Ya.... start period late means menopause later.... that means she will be fertile for a longer time :lol:

Just have to stay steady and don;t let her confidence sway....
Just remember .... "My time will come" :rahrah:

tired mom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby lymmlim » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:23 am

Thanks for all your kind reply and advise.

Will keep supporting her and hope she will gain back her confidence level.

lymmlim
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Health