Specialist or GP?

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Specialist or GP?

Postby mummyJune » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:04 am

Hi, according to the doc, i have enlarged swollen lymph nodes on my right neck, below the ear & it swell up slightly big like 50cent coin. I had already went to 2 GP, taken antibiotics yet still cannot subside & its very painful inside & can feel the lump/swell.

Should i go straight to specialist or go another GP?

mummyJune
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:49 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Specialist or GP?

Postby leejeslyn » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:21 am

hi, i wld suggest to get the GP for a referral letter to see a specialist.

leejeslyn
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:29 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Specialist or GP?

Postby mummyJune » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:27 am

leejeslyn wrote:hi, i wld suggest to get the GP for a referral letter to see a specialist.

so go another GP instead of straight to specialist?

mummyJune
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:49 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Specialist or GP?

Postby leejeslyn » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:32 am

Hi, unless u knw specifically which specialist you wan to see else i feel to get a referral from GP would be a better choice. You can go back to either one of the two GP whom you have seen and ask them to write a referral letter for you.

leejeslyn
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:29 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Specialist or GP?

Postby mummyJune » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:36 am

the 2nd GP told me if cannot cure, tell me go polyclinic get referral letter but polyclinic need to wait many hours( i already called & asked). the 1st GP say she cannot do anything, also tell me go polyclinic get referral letter, so strange these 2 GPs!

in that case, should i go 3rd GP?

mummyJune
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:49 am
Total Likes: 0



Re: Specialist or GP?

Postby hquek » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:39 am

mummyJune wrote:the 2nd GP told me if cannot cure, tell me go polyclinic get referral letter but polyclinic need to wait many hours( i already called & asked). the 1st GP say she cannot do anything, also tell me go polyclinic get referral letter, so strange these 2 GPs!

in that case, should i go 3rd GP?


Did they tell you to go polyclinic so you can enjoy subsidized rates? GPs should be able to refer you to a specialist.

Usually I would discourage GP hopping....but if they didn't give you a referral, you probably will have to visit either GP or go to specialist directly (depends on whether you can claim for spec visit). Explain clearly that you do not wish to wait in polyclinic....

Hope you can find a good doctor and it turns out well for you. Take care!

hquek
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 6535
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:07 am
Total Likes: 70


Re: Specialist or GP?

Postby leejeslyn » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:40 am

That's sldnt be the case. I had similar issue as you before and the GP wrote me a referral letter to see a specialist. Going to polyclinic means you wan to enjoy subsidies from the goverment. because if a GP refers you, you are consider as a private patient.

Otherwise, maybe you can try google and search for a ENT specialist?

leejeslyn
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:29 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Specialist or GP?

Postby mummyJune » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:43 am

leejeslyn wrote:That's sldnt be the case. I had similar issue as you before and the GP wrote me a referral letter to see a specialist. Going to polyclinic means you wan to enjoy subsidies from the goverment. because if a GP refers you, you are consider as a private patient.

Otherwise, maybe you can try google and search for a ENT specialist?

you mentioned you had similar issue? may i know how long does it take for the swollen enlarged lymph node to subside? also, which ENT specialist did you see? can i know what medication the specialist gave you?

mummyJune
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:49 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Specialist or GP?

Postby leejeslyn » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:48 am

i didnt take any medication from the GP cos the GP referred me straight away to ENT at SGH. I went for a consultation and a check whereby the doc will place a tube from the nose to your throat to check. aft which i was schedule for an appt for a day surgery. This happens many many years back.

leejeslyn
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:29 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Specialist or GP?

Postby mummyJune » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:52 am

leejeslyn wrote:i didnt take any medication from the GP cos the GP referred me straight away to ENT at SGH. I went for a consultation and a check whereby the doc will place a tube from the nose to your throat to check. aft which i was schedule for an appt for a day surgery. This happens many many years back.

ok thanks for your reply.

mummyJune
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:49 am
Total Likes: 0


Next

Return to Health