Johnson's BABY POWDER linked to cancer?

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Johnson's BABY POWDER linked to cancer?

Postby CatMoon » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:43 am

:yikes: :yikes:

THE STRAITS TIMES - 24 Feb 2019

Johnson & Johnson must pay US$72 million over talc linked to woman's ovarian cancer

Johnson & Johnson (J&J) must pay US$72 million (S$101 million) to the family of a woman who blamed her fatal ovarian cancer on the company's talcum powder in the first state-court case over the claims to go to trial.

Jurors in St. Louis on Monday (Feb 22) concluded J&J should pay $10 million in compensatory damages and $62 million in a punishment award to the family of Jackie Fox, who died of ovarian cancer last year after using Johnson's baby powder and another talc-based product for years.

It's the first time a jury has ordered J&J, the world's largest maker of healthcare products, to pay damages over claims that it knew decades ago that its talc-based products could cause cancer and failed to warn consumers. J&J is facing about 1,200 suits claiming studies have linked its Johnson's Baby Powder and its Shower-to-Shower product to ovarian cancer. Women contend the company knew of the risk and failed to warn customers.

http://www.straitstimes.com/world/unite ... ans-cancer

CatMoon
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Johnson's BABY POWDER linked to cancer?

Postby janet88 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:56 am

what? :nailbite:
ok...no more using J&J baby powder.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby yolomomo » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:00 pm

Oh dear... So scary... Always use this in the past..

yolomomo
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby starlight1968sg » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:02 pm

CatMoon wrote::yikes: :yikes:

THE STRAITS TIMES - 24 Feb 2019

Johnson & Johnson must pay US$72 million over talc linked to woman's ovarian cancer

Johnson & Johnson (J&J) must pay US$72 million (S$101 million) to the family of a woman who blamed her fatal ovarian cancer on the company's talcum powder in the first state-court case over the claims to go to trial.

Jurors in St. Louis on Monday (Feb 22) concluded J&J should pay $10 million in compensatory damages and $62 million in a punishment award to the family of Jackie Fox, who died of ovarian cancer last year after using Johnson's baby powder and another talc-based product for years.

It's the first time a jury has ordered J&J, the world's largest maker of healthcare products, to pay damages over claims that it knew decades ago that its talc-based products could cause cancer and failed to warn consumers. J&J is facing about 1,200 suits claiming studies have linked its Johnson's Baby Powder and its Shower-to-Shower product to ovarian cancer. Women contend the company knew of the risk and failed to warn customers.

http://www.straitstimes.com/world/unite ... ans-cancer

I read.
2019???
It is scary and we have been using it for years.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:17 pm

yolomomo wrote:Oh dear... So scary... Always use this in the past..

i've been using it everyday. now have to get kids to stop as well.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:36 pm

janet88 wrote:
yolomomo wrote:Oh dear... So scary... Always use this in the past..

i've been using it everyday. now have to get kids to stop as well.

From the American Cancer Society's website:
http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercaus ... and-cancer
The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) is part of the World Health Organization (WHO). Its major goal is to identify causes of cancer.

IARC classifies talc that contains asbestos as “carcinogenic to humans.”
Based on the lack of data from human studies and on limited data in lab animal studies, IARC classifies inhaled talc not containing asbestos as “not classifiable as to carcinogenicity in humans.”
Based on limited evidence from human studies of a link to ovarian cancer, IARC classifies the perineal (genital) use of talc-based body powder as “possibly carcinogenic to humans.”

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:49 pm

So if dust on neck and armpits, it should be safe right?

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:03 pm

janet88 wrote:So if dust on neck and armpits, it should be safe right?

Based on that website, yes.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MrsKiasu » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:40 pm

I am using Johnson baby powder on my face daily as I feel that it is not as 'heavy' as those makeup powder and also that I don't have to worry about cleansing...Any recommendation of other powder to use?

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:37 pm

MrsKiasu wrote:I am using Johnson baby powder on my face daily as I feel that it is not as 'heavy' as those makeup powder and also that I don't have to worry about cleansing...Any recommendation of other powder to use?

I do too. I don't see a problem, really. Even if you breathe it in, it hasn't been linked to any issues. If you're concerned, don't breathe while applying the powder?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Health