Is it healthy to drink 1 litre of pasteurised milk everyday?

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Is it healthy to drink 1 litre of pasteurised milk everyday?

Postby iRabbit » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:05 pm

My son drinks one litre of pasteurised milk everyday (not kidding) and we wonder if it's healthy to do so. He's going well, tall but slim.

He drinks more milk than plain water. Is there anything we should take note of?

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4781
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:21 pm
Total Likes: 119


Re: Is it healthy to drink 1 litre of pasteurised milk every

Postby huaywenandkenneth » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:17 pm

iRabbit, 1 litre sounds a little too much. My kids also drinks a litre, but it's 2 or 3 of them combined woah. :wink:
Though they all sometimes "drink milk like water", the outcome quite different.
#1 is tall and lean like a beanpole without an ounce of fat, #2 is turning slightly pouchy in the middle(!) and #3 used to be chubby but is outgrowing her baby fats. All drink the same milk... :skeptical:

huaywenandkenneth
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 11:46 pm
Total Likes: 5


Re: Is it healthy to drink 1 litre of pasteurised milk every

Postby bb_ mom » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:27 pm

My son used to guzzle milk like that when he was in pre-school. Get indigestion...

bb_ mom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 8852
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:26 pm
Total Likes: 13


Re: Is it healthy to drink 1 litre of pasteurised milk every

Postby janet88 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:50 pm

bb_ mom wrote:My son used to guzzle milk like that when he was in pre-school. Get indigestion...

same here. my son almost finished the entire pack of magnolia fresh milk and had indigestion...was burping the whole night :slapshead:

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 33731
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:37 am
Total Likes: 111


Re: Is it healthy to drink 1 litre of pasteurised milk every

Postby iRabbit » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:54 pm

My son takes milk very well. No ingestion nor growing sideways so I'm happy for him to continue. Milk is not like soft drinks whereby too much is determental to health right?

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4781
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:21 pm
Total Likes: 119



Re: Is it healthy to drink 1 litre of pasteurised milk every

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:14 pm

iRabbit wrote:My son takes milk very well. No ingestion nor growing sideways so I'm happy for him to continue. Milk is not like soft drinks whereby too much is determental to health right?

How old is he? If he's a teenager, and eating well and growing well, then I guess it's OK. But he may need to cut back once he stops growing or he'll get fat! The only other downside will be if it's inhibiting his eating of solid food, which is not good if he's young.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 8071
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:16 pm
Total Likes: 173


Re: Is it healthy to drink 1 litre of pasteurised milk every

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:32 pm

My son drinks packet milk, milo, soybean milk, etc. like water. He's still as skinny as a bean stalk.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
 
Posts: 15221
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:16 am
Location: Singapore
Total Likes: 319


Re: Is it healthy to drink 1 litre of pasteurised milk every

Postby iRabbit » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:08 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
iRabbit wrote:My son takes milk very well. No ingestion nor growing sideways so I'm happy for him to continue. Milk is not like soft drinks whereby too much is determental to health right?

How old is he? If he's a teenager, and eating well and growing well, then I guess it's OK. But he may need to cut back once he stops growing or he'll get fat! The only other downside will be if it's inhibiting his eating of solid food, which is not good if he's young.


Ds is 11 going 12 this year. I'm actually happy he's taking so much milk and eating well too until my dw wondered whether too much calcium intake is a good thing.

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4781
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:21 pm
Total Likes: 119


Re: Is it healthy to drink 1 litre of pasteurised milk every

Postby iRabbit » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:10 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:My son drinks packet milk, milo, soybean milk, etc. like water. He's still as skinny as a bean stalk.


But packet milk and milo are sweeter right? I won't allow ds to drink 1 litre of milo daily, that's for sure.

Every time I go NTUC, I'll have to get 4 2-litres Meji milk as they will only last a week, and boy, they're heavy.

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4781
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:21 pm
Total Likes: 119


Re: Is it healthy to drink 1 litre of pasteurised milk every

Postby BeContented » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:31 pm

Around 4yr old onwards, both my kids stopped powdered milk & started pasteurized milk. Typically each takes about 0.75L per day (3 cups @ Morning, afternoon, night). So they did so for about 8 years until Secondary Sch. Right now they still drink minimum 2 cups a day. So far no issues. The boy is tall and lanky. The girl is average height but above average weight. :wink: So I guess it all depends on what other stuff they take on top of the milk. :)

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 3670
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:25 am
Total Likes: 84


Next

Return to Health