Exercise Tracker

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Exercise Tracker

Yes I am wearing one and loving it as it works
67%
Yes I am wearing one but not so effective
33%
No I am not but thinking of getting one soon
No votes
No, never, don't need it
No votes

Total votes : 3

Exercise Tracker

Postby tankee » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:37 pm

exercise trackers seem to be the "fashion" item these days.

are you wearing one?

did it work for you?

tankee
Site Admin

Re: Exercise Tracker

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:44 am

Tagging on with more questions - how do they actually work? I see some on phones rather than strapped onto the wrists - how do they distinguish a step from any other movement?

My daughter was given a (presumably low quality) one for some school thing, and she chalked up huge nos. of "steps" on the first day because she was wearing it on her right wrist (left hander) while playing the guitar!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:18 am

DH is wearing one.

Judging from the rate that his belly is not diminishing, I would say nope, not working. :razz:

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Nebbermind » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:24 am

slmkhoo wrote:Tagging on with more questions - how do they actually work? I see some on phones rather than strapped onto the wrists - how do they distinguish a step from any other movement?

My daughter was given a (presumably low quality) one for some school thing, and she chalked up huge nos. of "steps" on the first day because she was wearing it on her right wrist (left hander) while playing the guitar!

Good question! The S(Samsung?) Health App on my phone is active and is somehow able to track the steps taken during lunch time vs other travelling. And interestingly, the 'Location/GSP' is not even turned on.
Last edited by Nebbermind on Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby buds » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:24 am

Hubs used to have the iPod that tracked his runs via his Nike shoes. It worked initially until after many or way too many runs really... the gadgets don't read as well as they do when it was first used.

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:26 am

DH is also wearing one.

He seems fixated on that toy on his wrist. Wears it to jog and cycle only. Only comes back to report the stats to me, which I can't be bothered.

DH has this mobile app that calculates the no. of calories he consumes per day.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tankee » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:42 am

slmkhoo wrote:Tagging on with more questions - how do they actually work? I see some on phones rather than strapped onto the wrists - how do they distinguish a step from any other movement?

Trackers use a combination of different sensors like accelerometers, gyroscope, compass, heart rate monitor, altimeter, etc and their own algorithms to determine the various indicators being tracked.

Naturally, degree of accuracy varies.

Some trackers are multi sport and some for specific sport.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby MMM » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:47 am

Started wearing a fitbit since last year. I used it for tracking my steps and heart rate.

It works for me as it helped to drive my awareness of the steps that I took during the day. Just imagine if we drive to office, remain seated most of the day, you probably only clock around 3K steps in 1 day.

The daily target is minimum 10K. So if I don't reach 10K by evening, I would make choices such as going for a night walk, doing my exercise (eg. jog/ body movement (eg. "milder" zumba exercise) on the spot while watching the tv program if I am lazy to leave the house, iso taking the bus from MRT station (3 bus stops) I choose to walk home, try to engage in weekly exercise (eg. cycling) given my busy schedule.

Initially I used it to track calories too but stopped using that.

The end result I feel is a healthier me. I have lost 4kg since 6 months ago (I know I am snacking more than I first started so weight loss is not great now but I still make conscious note of what I eat). I weigh myself every morning and the motivation to do all these is due to health rather than vanity reasons. dh takes sugar level reading for kids + me every 2 weeks. So far, my sugar level is looking good too. It has definitely drop versus the time I first started and I definitely want to stay away from becoming a diabetic as I saw how it impacted my father.

My sil's company has been having steps competition as a team. I saw that she has lost a lot of weight as a result of such initiative as well.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby buds » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:52 am

I like that initiative your SIL's company has, MMM.

Sugar level reading for kids..
What are their ages now and can share why taken every 2 weeks..

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MyPillow » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:55 am

How to track sugar level?

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Health