How Long I Wanna Live?

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

How Long I Wanna Live?

Postby hercules » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:09 pm

At my age, I have seen enough of people suffering during old age and died (my parents included).

At this moment, I know of more than half a dozen of close old ones, age ranged from 70 to 90, who are either paralyzed, wheelchair bound, in hospice, demented, etc etc, plagued with old aged diseases. Some just started their ordeal and some have been suffering for years.

Long ago I told myself I would be happy to live till about age 70. I wanna die when I am still healthier. That has been my thought that my sisters and friends always say, Choy! Choy! Choy!.

Today I chanced upon this article and find the content mirror with much of my thinking. A good read:

WHY I HOPE TO DIE AT 75

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc ... 75/379329/

Do you have a 'life expectancy' for yourself?

Do you really wish to be 长命百岁?

hercules
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: How Long I Wanna Live?

Postby starlight1968sg » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:40 pm

I dont want a long life filled with days going for treatment

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby wiimum » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:43 pm

Good question. But do you(we) have a choice? :)

wiimum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby starlight1968sg » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:00 pm

wiimum wrote:Good question. But do you(we) have a choice? :)

We have no choice in " birth, old, sick & death"

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MrsKiasu » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:14 pm

a good reminder to treasure the people around us...if I have a say, I would like to watch and see dds for as long as possible..pray for healthy body and mind.

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hercules » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:31 pm

wiimum wrote:Good question. But do you(we) have a choice? :)

I think we do have a 'choice' to a certain degree.

If you want to live up to a century or even older, you may have to take good care of your health asap.

If you want to age healthily, you also have to start taking good care of your health now.

The article shows some form of 'choice' can be made during when the mind is still sound, like no treatment if cancer above xx age, etc.

Unless death is sudden, like a fatal accident, we do have some degree of 'choice' in how we wanna live our lives (in terms of 'quality' and 'quantity').

hercules
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby starlight1968sg » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:33 pm

i do agree healthy lifestyle helps but only to a certain extent

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hercules » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:55 pm

We have to stay as healthy as we can as we age further and avoid being a burden to our kids.

Free can watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdkYBBuKnu8

The story told at around 45 min is so real in the society.

My friend's dad has dementia/parkinson at age 70+. Her old age mum couldn't take care of him as she herself is weak. So they got a maid to help to take care of the old man. But the old man refused to be cared by the maid, kept beating the maids (changed a few). Running out of options, they tried to put him in a nursing home, but the more economical nursing homes in Spore were all full. No choice, they sent him to a clean, big and airy JB nursing home at about S$900/month (diapers etc charged separately) and would visit him every weekend.

My friend is the only child. She married late and so her two kids are still under 16 and so still need attention from her. She told me if now her mum (also 70+) also runs into medical problems, she may be the one who will die first before they die (words from the heart).

hercules
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ammonite » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:52 pm

Hercules,

You haven't seen this? 93 year old Ku fu granny in action.
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/video ... 392989.htm

She can still balance on one leg and sit cross legged on a chair. :boogie:

This one, over 80 and still gorgeous.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... eting.html

Which reminds me I must go and get my beauty sleep now. :lol:

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hercules » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:08 pm

ammonite wrote:Hercules,

You haven't seen this? 93 year old Ku fu granny in action.

Last year, I attended my friend's granny's 100th big birthday party, attended by more than 100 of her offspring across 5 generations. So many people queued to take a 'good luck' picture with her while I standing aside observing. Old granny has 6 kids and 3 deceased before her.

Another friend's 91 years old dad still can drive a car everywhere! So super healthy.

These two old folks have a common trait of eat simply (mostly vegetables and eggs) and exercise throughout the later part of their lives. Old granny still doing squats daily and old man does gardening work from 5.30 am for about 6 hours throughout the day, everyday.

Long life and healthier old folks sure there are but they are the exceptions than the norm.

I am not 'greedy'. 70 is good enough, esp now I no longer need to care for my parents and kids all grown up already. If really can die at age 70, it's so easy to plan for retirement financial needs. But if want to drag till 90, that's another ball game altogether with medical / nursing home care thrown in.

Add on:

everyday I will go to a park to do an hour walk. Without fail, I will see this 70+ old lady in the park. She will walk like me, does 'circuit training' that incl the below (and double bar body support, stepping machine, etc).

She is a friendly old lady who will encourage those old ones who are sitting around the park to do some simple stretching exercise. Gradually, I get to see those who usually just sitting around also start walking and to do part of the 'circuit training'.

Last edited by hercules on Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hercules
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Health