Farmed fish and ocean fish

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Farmed fish and ocean fish

Postby Han Seo » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:55 am

How can we tell if the fish sold in supermarkets and wet markets are farmed or from the sea? I understand farmed fish are fed with antibiotics and are also likely to be contaminated by other chemicals. Any idea?

Han Seo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Farmed fish and ocean fish

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:20 am

Han Seo wrote:How can we tell if the fish sold in supermarkets and wet markets are farmed or from the sea? I understand farmed fish are fed with antibiotics and are also likely to be contaminated by other chemicals. Any idea?

I can't answer your question, but I have another take on the farmed vs wild issue. Farmed fish, assuming the farms are law-abiding, will control the feed and environment of the fish, while who knows what the wild fish have eaten, and no-one will know for sure what their environment has been like. I don't know which is safer, really.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zbear » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:27 am

Nothing is safe now. It will be which is the lesser evil?

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby starlight1968sg » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:58 am

OT: eat veg also worry about pesticide. The best is no need to eat and yet can survive :(

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:26 am

starlight1968sg wrote:OT: eat veg also worry about pesticide. The best is no need to eat and yet can survive :(

Since scientists haven't found a way to do that yet (and it would be so boring!), I just eat everything in moderation and hope for the best! That way, the risks are spread, I guess. And I'm sure that not eating will be bad in some way too - the digestive system won't be worked and will probably have lots of issues, kids' speech won't develop properly as well.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Han Seo » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:53 pm

And no brand loyalty because many businesses lack business ethics nowadays. So many incidents of brand recall because the products contain harmful chemicals. Imagine you have been consuming the same brand over a long period. To be safe, spread your risk over many different brands.

And back to the topic, it is true wild fish may not be any better compared to farmed fish due to pollution. But I am just wondering is there any indicationon the packaging that the fish are farmed or from the ocean. Anyway, a lot of oily fish such as cod and salmon has high mercury content.

Han Seo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Kiasu Auntie » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:17 am

Han Seo wrote:How can we tell if the fish sold in supermarkets and wet markets are farmed or from the sea? I understand farmed fish are fed with antibiotics and are also likely to be contaminated by other chemicals. Any idea?

Oh no, my brother doesn'tt feed his farmed fishes with any antibiotics, all with prawns & fish meat and dried pellets. The ponds are big and impossible to feed with any medications. All his fishes & prawns are healthy with good conditioned seawater.

Kiasu Auntie
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Ikid » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:33 am

In NTUC, I have seen packages with label 'Fresh from seawater'

Ikid
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby jetsetter » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:41 am

Interesting topic, as we're big fish eaters.
I did a quick investigation on frozen fish recently as I was in love with 1 specific type of snow cod from Cold Storage. I wanted to find out its country of origin (which is never shown on its label nor on CS' online site), or rather, ocean of origin! They're invariably shrink-wrapped and displayed in the freezer, or sold thawed on the ice-tray at the fish section. Curious, I got the CS fish section mgr to divulge where the cod fillets were from ...I was told they were caught wild, specifically, from Down-under. I was relieved as I didn't want to buy cod from China. Here's the very pricey but uber delicious Aussie cod I'm talking about:

What I'm trying to say is, if you're not sure, always ask the fishmonger. :lol: :lol:

Essentially, most frozen "angmoh" fishes we get in the supermarkets are caught in the wild - Pacific, Atlantic, Indian or Oceania. They will indicate as such on the packaging as part of agri export regulations. Many Jap fishes (sashimi/sushi type) are also caught in the wild, e.g. blue fin tuna.

As for the other species in this region that you and I are more familiar with, they could be: a) from the wild (the wet market fishmonger may let you know if you're a regular customer); b) from our AVA-licensed coastal fish farms; or c) our freshwater fish farms.

Coastal fishfarms produce marine foodfish species like:

groupers
seabass
snappers
milkfish
green mussels
crustacean (shrimp/mangrove crabs)

If you buy any of the above, it's very likely they're reared at our local fish farms, not caught near China or Japan or India waters. However, I don't know if they were first caught from South China Sea or Indian Ocean and later transferred to our coastal farms (salt water) for cultivation or breeding. Basically, "fish culture" as defined by AVA is any activity involving the maintenance, propagation and promotion of the growth of fish in captivity or upon the sea bed within the territorial waters of Singapore.

There are freshwater food fish farms in Singapore too. If you buy any of the following, they are most likely farmed here.

Freshwater foodfish farms also produce foodfish species like:

snakeheads
tilapia
catfishes
carps
cyprinid

Regarding your question on the use of antibiotics, I suppose if our licensed fish farms are governed by the FISHERIES ACT (CHAPTER 111, SECTION 7) FISHERIES (FISH CULTURE FARMS) RULES, they should be safe for consumption?? Having said that however, other than farm pollution, the Act doesn't mention anything about antibiotics nor address a slew of valid concerns consumers may have wrt aquaculture. We'll just have to wait for local media to report on any contamination/pollution... :xedfingers:

http://www.wildsingapore.com/wildfacts/concepts/aquaculture.htm

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Health