MMR - Autism article Retracted by Lancet

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

MMR - Autism article Retracted by Lancet

Postby 3Boys » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:45 pm

Some citations from the British General Medical Council, the editor of Lancet, and others

“Hopefully this will put to rest the notion that the MMR vaccine is causing autism,” said Dr. Ann Neumeyer, medical director of the Lurie Family Autism Center at Massachusetts General Hospital. “There is no medical evidence that shows vaccines cause autism.”

The retraction by The Lancet came after a ruling by Britain’s General Medical Council that Dr. Andrew Wakefield had shown a “callous disregard” for the 12 children used in his study and had provided false information. In subsequent years, multiple studies contradicted the link Wakefield claimed, and 10 of his 14 co-authors removed their names from the study years ago.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/178117.php

Another commentary;

Wakefield was found to have acted unethically and conducted irresponsible research in coming to his—now thoroughly discredited—conclusions. According to Dr. Richard Horton, editor of The Lancet, "It's the most appalling catalog and litany of some the most terrible behavior in any research and is therefore very clear that it has to be retracted."

In this case, the actual paper contained no conclusive evidence, merely the suggestion that bowel leakage in children with gastrointestinal problems could cause the measles vaccine to spread into other parts of the body and affect the brain, possibly resulting in autism spectrum disorders.

It was in a subsequent press conference where Wakefield stated that he believed that the measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) vaccines should not be given as a single shot, and instead be broken up into three shots given a year apart to reduce the chances of autism. The British media had a field day with this, and inaccurate reports spread across the pond to the US, where parents feared that the MMR vaccine could be the cause for the dramatic rise in autism cases.

From the following -

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/booster ... ction.html

The General Medical Council, Britain's regulator of such affairs, concluded that in his research for the Lancet paper Wakefield acted with "callous disregard" for patients by conducting invasive tests on children that were not in their best medical interests. He also failed to obtain approval from his ethics committee for his studies and obtained blood samples for his research by offering 5 pounds to children at a birthday party, the council said. His paper said that the results were obtained with 12 consecutive patients, when that was not the case, according to the council. He also did not disclose that his studies were funded by lawyers who were attempting to sue the vaccine makers in court, nor that he was developing a vaccine that would have been very profitable if the MMR vaccine was discarded, the council said. The council also said it is considering withdrawing Wakefield's license to practice medicine.

My commentary;

This fellow with a bunch of vested interests, conducting unethical research, causing thousands of children and parents unnecessary suffering, and millions of dollars of wasted health care dollars, why would we choose to have any sympathy, let alone have belief in him?

Cue the conspiracy theorists, enter left stage now.......

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Andaiz » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:20 am

3Boys, like you - I was shocked when this news of research fraud came to light. Have had MIL screamed at me not once but 3 times when I'd sent the gals to the innoculation precisely based on the findings of this ONE (of the many) unethical, irresponsible and supposedly top notch research.

It points to the danger of mixing economic gains with what is deemed as "good, socially-responsible science"...this is rampant, no matter how you see it - how our parents were (over)sold the value of formula milk and its convenience, nutrients etc over breast milk, is proof of this "conspiracy theory" but I OT-ed.

Who suffers? Us unsuspecting consumers who really couldn't have known better!

Andaiz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:46 pm

Andaiz wrote:3Boys, like you - I was shocked when this news of research fraud came to light. Have had MIL screamed at me not once but 3 times when I'd sent the gals to the innoculation precisely based on the findings of this ONE (of the many) unethical, irresponsible and supposedly top notch research.

It points to the danger of mixing economic gains with what is deemed as "good, socially-responsible science"...this is rampant, no matter how you see it - how our parents were (over)sold the value of formula milk and its convenience, nutrients etc over breast milk, is proof of this "conspiracy theory" but I OT-ed.

Who suffers? Us unsuspecting consumers who really couldn't have known better!

Andaiz,
I couldn't agree more.

I can't tell you how much it frustrates me that charlatans as such get away with painting themselves as 'heroes' of the underdog whilst folk who toil and slog to get the job done properly bear the brunt of suspicion and abuse. There is so much pseudo-science out there, we just have to be extremely careful about wht we take in, particularly from uncontrolled sources.

The worst part is, the damage is already done will take many many years and many many resources to undo, despite the retraction.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 2ppaamm » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:35 am

DS3 (P1) had to go through the normal inoculation last week. Well, no big deal. Until a day later, he developed high fever (39 to 40), again, normal, they said. Then, the next day, he could not walk. Had to go to KK hospital. He was sick for a whole week and now he is ok. Traumatic enough?

No blanket solution for all.

I am still convinced DS2's autism was caused by MMR. First hand experience. O, and that's just me sharing. Delay your inoculation. As late as it almost gets illegal. I didn't - big price to pay.

Up to you guys to believe. Maybe my kids are more sensitive. But how do we know until it happens.

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby autumnbronze » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:50 am

2ppaamm wrote:DS3 (P1) had to go through the normal inoculation last week. Well, no big deal. Until a day later, he developed high fever (39 to 40), again, normal, they said. Then, the next day, he could not walk. Had to go to KK hospital. He was sick for a whole week and now he is ok. Traumatic enough?

I am still convinced DS2's autism was caused by MMR. First hand experience. O, and that's just me sharing. Delay your inoculation. As late as it almost gets illegal. I didn't - big price to pay.

Up to you guys to believe. Maybe my kids are more sensitive. But how do we know until it happens.

2ppaamm,

:thankyou: for your advice.

Miss you ard here :D

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Blobbi » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:46 pm

Sorry to hear about this, 2ppaamm.

What's very good to know is the MMR jabs these days mercury free. The ones given in school these days are too. Find out how you can avoid getting mercury into your kids' system and go private if it helps (private clinics may have non-mercury versions of vaccines). It's worth it.

Blobbi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 2ppaamm » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:47 pm

autumnbronze wrote:
2ppaamm wrote:DS3 (P1) had to go through the normal inoculation last week. Well, no big deal. Until a day later, he developed high fever (39 to 40), again, normal, they said. Then, the next day, he could not walk. Had to go to KK hospital. He was sick for a whole week and now he is ok. Traumatic enough?

2ppaamm,

:thankyou: for your advice.

Miss you ard here :D

Aw... so sweet :love: As you can see, I am up to my eye balls with one so sick for the last week, and the special needs kid is having so much problem, because other parents are not understanding and complained when some things happened because of his social disability.

Last week, the principal caned him, but I doubt he understood anything. But that's another story I will share when I get a chance. Thing is, it is so hard to cope with a special needs child, and so hard to raise him in a land where people just do not understand, and children who insist on bullying him verbally and taking advantage of his inability to understand social cues.

But, life goes on. One step at a time. Meanwhile, if I have any advice, even in my very busy schedule, I will issue them.

Don't trust the medical and pharmaceutical industry completely. Many pharmaceutical companies are in for ???? well, the big ones are listed on the stock exchange. Check out this movie that outlined it. Fiction you say? Maybe. Then, those who think so go take your chances. These researchers - whether they tell you inoculation cause autism, or otherwise, I don't trust them.

What I trust is what I see, what I experience first. Then, my friends around me. Researchers? Well, I am one, though not in the medical field. I know how we operate.

Here's that bogus researcher who cause "I am legend" disease. Remember har, fictional hor... but fun and a good reminder who researchers really are... we slot, yes, but we are also pressurized for results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHfGSqviKlk

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 2ppaamm » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:56 pm

Blobbi wrote:Sorry to hear about this, 2ppaamm.

What's very good to know is the MMR jabs these days mercury free. The ones given in school these days are too. Find out how you can avoid getting mercury into your kids' system and go private if it helps (private clinics may have non-mercury versions of vaccines). It's worth it.

Thanks Blobbi, but a bit too late now. However, I will remember the next time someone needs to do the MMR.

Also, anyone knows why there's no more BCG? The 'boy-chase-girl' we used to talk about and had to take at P6? Did some researchers now say we don't need it? Aiyo! Then I had this lump on my arm for what har? That scar reminds me constantly that I am but a human specimen. So humbling.
Last edited by 2ppaamm on Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 2ppaamm » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:11 pm

One more thing. Read carefully. It said they retracted the findings because they were done in an unethical way (what's new), but not that the findings are not true.

Why do you think this finding MUST be wrong? It cannot stand, even if it is true. Read carefully. If the proponents have a choice, it would not to attack the WAY he did his research, but that his research findings are WRONG. When they cannot prove the latter, let's try the former.

This kind of political game hor... we are very familiar, right? Cannot win on points and facts, win on creating personal problem for the opponent lor... makes you wonder why people have to resort to this, right? And makes me believe that 'unethical' guy more. Human nature... always side the underdogs. :wink:

Here's fun reading:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8493753.stm

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 2ppaamm » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:15 pm

OT here, I like your cute little blobbi jumping. Everyone has changed his avatar...

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Health