Vegetables

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Vegetables

Postby super_dad » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:03 pm

All kids hate them. Does yours? Mine finds it torturous to eat ladie's fingers. Dunno why....cos it is my favourite. Especially in curry fish head.
Last edited by super_dad on Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:16 pm

My kids are abnormal. They prefer their vegetables and their broccoli (*yucks!*) to pork and chicken. As you can tell, their behavior is not inherited from me.

It appears their dislike of meat is because they are lazy to chew the meat before swallowing. May have been because we have been mincing the meat into their porridge since they were young.

My wife thinks it's because she has trained them from the very beginning to eat vegetables. I believe there is some truth in that.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby phantom » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:47 pm

My kid like broccoli, carrot and other crunchy vege, doesn't like to eat leaves or any vege that is hard to chew. So just mince the leafy vege and put into porridge, he will take it.

phantom
Site Admin

Postby super_dad » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:28 am

Hmmm...you people have weird kids. haha.

Any advice if a kid refuses to take the veg? I am sure lots of parents face this problem everyday. Perhaps the scare tactic about not eating vegetables and failing their exams. hehe.

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:27 pm

super_dad wrote:Hmmm...you people have weird kids. haha.

Any advice if a kid refuses to take the veg? I am sure lots of parents face this problem everyday. Perhaps the scare tactic about not eating vegetables and failing their exams. hehe.

As I have said, I have the exact opposite problem. My son is skinny as hell. Been trying to get him to eat more meat since he was 4. No use. Gave up trying. But I noticed he is eating more these days, there is hope yet.

I think the problem could be our nagging. As a kid, I was rebellious, and would do the exact opposite of what I'm told to do when people nag at me. I'm learning to catch myself nagging my kids these days and try to think of other ways to put the point across. Very hard to do, but, bo pian. Parent wat.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby phantom » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:26 pm

Sometime kids refuse to take vege because it is hard and not very appetizing with the way is is cook. I find boiling vegetables and then putting flavoring instead of frying vegetables to have a better dish that my kid consumes

phantom
Site Admin

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:40 pm

phantom wrote:Sometime kids refuse to take vege because it is hard and not very appetizing with the way is is cook. I find boiling vegetables and then putting flavoring instead of frying vegetables to have a better dish that my kid consumes

Wouldn't boiling the vegetables destroy whatever vitamins and other goodness the we value our veggies for? Or is the point of eating veggies just for the fibre?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby phantom » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:02 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:Wouldn't boiling the vegetables destroy whatever vitamins and other goodness the we value our veggies for? Or is the point of eating veggies just for the fibre?

Actually boiling preserves more vitamin. Boiling is only 100 deg while frying is around 300 deg. So more nutritious boiling, but don't boil too long. And it actually taste better. Of course, after boiling, put some oil.

phantom
Site Admin

Postby UncleLim » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:42 am

Parents facing kids who do not eat greens should also try having salad for meals in addition to other meals.

Now my kids are hooked on salad they don't like cooked veggies anymore.

2 families who came for dinner in our home told us that their kids first learnt to eat salad with us - incredible !!??

For fun, teach them to wrap a piece of chicken or pork in a lettuce leaf - like the Koreans. Add butterhead lettuce and other interesting looking veggies to make the whole dish seem fun. And I also have raisins strewn generously over the greens to add some sweetness.

Good luck ! :D

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ooptimizer » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:02 pm

But what if the parent also don't like to eat veggie?

ooptimizer
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Next

Return to Health