All about Diabetes

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.
ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:74

Re: All about Diabetes

Post by ammonite » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:04 am

slmkhoo wrote:Have you seen the announcement of the "reduced sugar in drinks" plan? The limit is set at higher than most soft drinks! So what's the point? If they want to set a limit, surely it should be at a level that that has more impact, otherwise I don't see why they are bothering.
I haven't been following the news in this but I am definitely surprised! Perhaps they are really targeting drinks like Bandung etc? I really don't know how anyone can drink that, it is totally sugar water. But DH and ds1 love it, and DH was the one who introduced it to ds1. Hmpf!

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:74

Post by ammonite » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:07 am

janet88 wrote:
starlight1968sg wrote:Ribena is too sweet
yup...way too sweet. but i do like ribena sparkling in the glass bottle.

was at kopitiam today. thought of eating chng tng, but suddenly thought of the amount of sugar and changed my mind.
Actually many of these desserts, when homemade, are quite alright and full of good ingredients. One of my relatives makes really good cheng tng - it takes two hours, adding different ingredients by the clock! I could never eat cheng ting again outside after she gave me some!

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:29

Post by starlight1968sg » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:23 am

Seven measures to help people beat diabetes

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/h ... t-diabetes

Extracted from the above:
1. Getting major drink companies to lower sugar content
2. Labelling healthier dining options
3. Creating healthier ingredients
4. Identifying better food
5. Motivating people to exercise
6. Encouraging people to go for health checks
7. Helping diabetics stay healthy

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:118

Post by lee_yl » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:39 am

Just confirmed that my kids' school canteens are still selling Pokka Sparkling Fuji apple juice and Kickapoo (both in 500ml bottle form) at $1.10-$1.20.

Not too sweet for primary school kids? What if a child drinks such sugary drinks everyday during recess? Can the child ever get used to non-sugary stuff? :mad:

Actually, a lot of products with the healthier choice label are not exactly healthy. Even this Pokka apple has a healthier choice label on its bottle. How to explain such subtle differences to kids? With a logo there means can drink once a day cos it's apple juice? :duck:

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:77

Post by ngl2010 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:13 am

lee_yl wrote:Just confirmed that my kids' school canteens are still selling Pokka Sparkling Fuji apple juice and Kickapoo (both in 500ml bottle form) at $1.10-$1.20.

Not too sweet for primary school kids? What if a child drinks such sugary drinks everyday during recess? Can the child ever get used to non-sugary stuff? :mad:

Actually, a lot of products with the healthier choice label are not exactly healthy. Even this Pokka apple has a healthier choice label on its bottle. How to explain such subtle differences to kids? With a logo there means can drink once a day cos it's apple juice? :duck:
it is in the first page of ST today that Kickapoo is one of the drinks that is especially high in sugar.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:136

Post by janet88 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:56 am

i order kickapoo, pokka sparkling apple juice when we eat out...but i don't buy to put at home.

Fried chicken
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:9

Post by Fried chicken » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:08 am

I wouldn't say fruit juices are that healthy. An apple is healthy, but if you've ever juiced your own fruits, you'll know how little juice fruits naturally yield. So I would say 500ml of apple juice (pure apple juice) is maybe about five apples? That's a lot of sugar ( naturally occurring, yes, but still sugar) and 0% fibre. I don't drink a lot of fruit juice, but when I do, always water it down - about 30% juice, 70% water.

That's not to say I'm very healthy. I do enjoy a good Coke Zero. Just that my sweet tooth is wayyy less sweet now.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:121

Post by Jennifer » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:10 am

Yngmng
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by Yngmng » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:12 am

janet88 wrote:i order kickapoo, pokka sparkling apple juice when we eat out...but i don't buy to put at home.
Same same. I drink soft drink outside but don't buy to keep at home. At home, only plain water. In the morning, I drink kopio. After lunch, Chinese tea or green tea.

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:50

Post by MrsKiasu » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:12 am

i just tried a carrot walnut raisin cake. recipe called for 200g sugar (cake only hor, frosting another load of sugar+butter). i used 50g sugar and much lesser raisin from the recipe yet it is already so sweet. the carrot is already so sweet on its own. but problem is i need to bake the cake much longer then put in fridge to harden it lor..as the dry ingredients already so out from recipe :lol: