[Fact or Myth] Cough and Chicken

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.
Post Reply
tankee
Site Admin
Posts: 17852
Joined: Tue Jun 30,
Location: Singapore
Total Likes:23

[Fact or Myth] Cough and Chicken

Post by tankee » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:47 pm

Some says to avoid eating chicken when having a cough

Other says it it just a myth

What do you say?

hquek
Councillor
Councillor
Posts: 6702
Joined: Fri Jul 18,
Total Likes:71

Re: [Fact or Myth] Cough and Chicken

Post by hquek » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:49 am

I say it's a myth but I won't wanna test it. Eg chicken pox cannot eat chicken....old wife's tale but who want to go through that experience again.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 11416
Joined: Wed Sep 15,
Total Likes:223

Re: [Fact or Myth] Cough and Chicken

Post by slmkhoo » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:06 am

I don't observe that at all. Hasn't affected us.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor
Posts: 12587
Joined: Wed May 27,
Total Likes:334

Re: [Fact or Myth] Cough and Chicken

Post by Funz » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:56 am

According to TCM and older folks, when coughing, stay away from chicken as it causes phlegm.

Like slmkhoo, I don't observe.

Chicken is the staple meat in my family. We do not quite like pork. Beef is kinda ex to be making it's appearance at every meal and it's not advisable to have too much red meat too often. DH and DS do not quite like fish so chicken, eggs and tofu are our usual protein.

Kiddos have eaten chicken through cough and colds and stomach flu and chicken pox and asthma. I don't see it having any adverse effects. They still recover pretty quickly.

I have a staff who stays away from chicken, especially when she is coughing. From what I have observed, she hardly eats chicken but she is still coughing very frequently. :shrug:

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 7236
Joined: Wed Jul 31,
Gender: Male
Total Likes:183

Re: [Fact or Myth] Cough and Chicken

Post by floppy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:00 am

Can chicken really make your cough worse? 8 food beliefs investigated
If you've consulted a TCM physician and are taking prescribed herbal medication, Dr Leslie Tay, general practitioner at Karri Family Clinic, recommends following through with her advice. He adds: "If mum or Grandma tells you to avoid chicken, just do it. While it may not cure your cold, it makes for a peaceful home!"
:rotflmao:


mommyNg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 1627
Joined: Fri Dec 05,
Total Likes:33

Re: [Fact or Myth] Cough and Chicken

Post by mommyNg » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:05 am

floppy wrote:Can chicken really make your cough worse? 8 food beliefs investigated
If you've consulted a TCM physician and are taking prescribed herbal medication, Dr Leslie Tay, general practitioner at Karri Family Clinic, recommends following through with her advice. He adds: "If mum or Grandma tells you to avoid chicken, just do it. While it may not cure your cold, it makes for a peaceful home!"
:rotflmao:
I agree, a very valid reason! :lol:

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 11416
Joined: Wed Sep 15,
Total Likes:223

Re: [Fact or Myth] Cough and Chicken

Post by slmkhoo » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:07 am

Funz wrote:I have a staff who stays away from chicken, especially when she is coughing. From what I have observed, she hardly eats chicken but she is still coughing very frequently. :shrug:
My observation too! I think people who have chronic coughs will try all means to reduce their coughing. And some people will be more sensitive to certain foods etc. But those who are not affected don't need to restrict themselves so much.

Zeit
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Jun 19,
Total Likes:15

Re: [Fact or Myth] Cough and Chicken

Post by Zeit » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:33 am

tankee wrote:Some says to avoid eating chicken when having a cough

Other says it it just a myth

What do you say?
Guess chicken meat itself won't worsen your cough.

But if you use black chicken meat to brew 超级老火汤 and drink the whole cauldron, you might cough longer cos it's very 'heaty'?

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 16238
Joined: Tue Dec 22,
Total Likes:160

Re: [Fact or Myth] Cough and Chicken

Post by Nebbermind » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:38 am

Zeit wrote:
Guess chicken meat itself won't worsen your cough.

But if you use black chicken meat to brew 超级老火汤 and drink the whole cauldron, you might cough longer cos it's very 'heaty'?
It may just be the herbs and not the black chicken that is 'heaty'

Zeit
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Jun 19,
Total Likes:15

Re: [Fact or Myth] Cough and Chicken

Post by Zeit » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:48 am

Nebbermind wrote:
Zeit wrote:
Guess chicken meat itself won't worsen your cough.

But if you use black chicken meat to brew 超级老火汤 and drink the whole cauldron, you might cough longer cos it's very 'heaty'?
It may just be the herbs and not the black chicken that is 'heaty'
Dang Gui, red dates, red ginseng for instance...

Maybe if you use old melon, carrots and corn, it'll be alright.

Coughing - just take Pipa Gao.

Post Reply